5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2011 8:02 AM by Angela's ARIA

Do You Make Sitemaps for Your Flex Projects?

laxmidi Level 1

Hi,

Making a Google sitemap is straight forward for HTML pages. But, Flex doesn't have "pages". Do I need to make a sitemap for a Flex 3 site? If so, can anyone point me to an example for a Flex site?

Thank you.

-Laxmidi

www.brainpinata.com

• 1. Re: Do You Make Sitemaps for Your Flex Projects?
          Angela's ARIA

Hi Laxmidi,

A sitemap is always a good idea and using Deep Linking in a Flash application with different states / pages is an even better idea.

As Google is not very clear about how they index Flex applications the more information we can provide them about our website the better.

I am in the process of building a Flex web application that contains tutorials on how to build Accessible / SEO friendly rich internet applications and I have implemented Deep Linking on this site so that links are available to users and search engines that go directly to the relevant content.

If you want to have a look at how I have implemented this you can visit my site at http://www.accessiblerichinternetapplication.com/index.php/Home/Introduction

(You will notice that the link above does not have the # that deep linking puts into applications. I use PHP redirects to allow SEO friendly URLs to map to UrlKit deep links).

I hope that this helps...

Angela.

• 2. Re: Do You Make Sitemaps for Your Flex Projects?
            laxmidi Level 1

Hi Angela,

Thank you for your message. This is exactly the info I'm looking for! I was frustrated, trying to find a way to get Google to index more than one Flex "page". Your solution looks really interesting.

I checked out your site and read your tutorial on implementing URLkit. I have some questions. Does the tutorial produce the SEO friendly URLs (URLS without #) or is there another step? You mentioned that you have to implement php redirects.

Also, as I understand it, your solution would work with Flex 3 as URLkit works with Flex 3.

Again, thank you for helping me.

-Laxmidi

• 3. Re: Do You Make Sitemaps for Your Flex Projects?
              Angela's ARIA Level 1

Hi Laxmidi,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I was creating a tutorial on my website to show you what I did to create the SEO friendly URLs when I realised that Google indexed my Site Map but does not like the redirects I used with UrlKit to create the friendly URLs.

I'm currently looking into implementing SEO friendly URLs with SWFAddress, but as soon as I know more I will create a simple tutorial and post it on my website.

Sorry I could not be of more help....

Angela's ARIA

• 4. Re: Do You Make Sitemaps for Your Flex Projects?
                laxmidi Level 1

Hi Angela,

Thank you for your message. When you've got your tutorial up, I'd love to take a look at it. I'm sure that a lot of other people will be interested in it, too.

-Laxmidi

• 5. Re: Do You Make Sitemaps for Your Flex Projects?
                  Angela's ARIA Level 1

Hi Laxmidi,

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you about the tutorial but I wanted to make sure Google was indexing my site correctly before I created the tutorial.

I am very happy to say that Google is indeed now indexing my site (through dynamic HTML alternative content) and unique URLs.  If you perform a Google search for "site:accessiblerichinternetapplication.com/aria" (without the quotation marks) you will see that there is currently 31 results being returned.

I have created a tutorial to show how to implement Search Engine Optimisation for Adobe Flex which is what I used on my site.

I hope that you will ready my tutorial and find it helpful.

Regards,

Angela's ARIA

Accessible Rich Internet Application