1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 7, 2011 1:38 PM by Chris Cox

Partial Pixel Movement with non-Bicubic filtering

AdrenalStimuli Level 1

Hi.  I want to start by saying I love Photoshop!  In my opinion, it is by far the most comprehensive and generally all inclusive paint program available.  With one exception.  Of all the professional paint programs, it appears to be one of the few that doesn't allow for partial pixel movements.

Unfortunately this is one of the only things that I find myself consistently lacking in Photoshop.  There used to be a plugin that would allow this feature, but it does not work in the 64bit version of Photoshop nor is the filtering up to industry standards.

What I would LOVE to see, and maybe it exists somewhere that I haven't found yet, is the ability to make partial pixel transforms to layers or selections with a high quality (ex. as lossless as possible, rifman would be preferred) filter.

If anyone is aware of the existance of this please post a link, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Partial Pixel Movement with non-Bicubic filtering
          Level 7

Photoshop supports partial pixel moves and transformations, with any resampling method.

Nearest Neighbor, of course, won't show partial pixels by design.

Bicubic is about as close to a lossless transform as you can get.

Windowed Sinc filters can get marginally closer, if you only use them ONCE and understand that they will have visible ringing artifacts around sharp transitions.  When we tested many of the "best" interpolation algorithms, sinc filters were judged as some of the worst because of those ringing artifacts.

I don't know how you got the impression that "the industry" has better interpolation, because that simply is not the case.

Photoshop does not offer a huge variety of interpolation methods, because we have tested them and found that most are lacking in quality when used in the real world.