7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2011 2:40 PM by Harm Millaard

Possible to edit with an HP Envy 14?

travisnorthcutt

I have an Envy 14, configured as follows. I'd like to be able to edit footage from my Canon 60D on it, using Premiere Pro CS4. Is this within the realm of possibility, or is it just not powerful enough? I'm open to adding RAM and more disk drives (I have an eSATA port and can replace the DVD drive with another internal drive if necessary).

• Core i5-450m
      • 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon 5650
      • 4GB DDR3 RAM
      • G.SKILL Phoenix Pro Series 120GB SSD
      Unfortunately, building a desktop machine to edit with isn't in the budget for me right now.
        • 1. I don't Envy you with your Envy
          Harm Millaard Level 7

You are pretty young, aren't you?

No problem if you have the time till retirement age to finish your first project. You will be plagued by numerous hangs, all kinds of problems and a responsiveness of your system that pales in comparison to an elderly, handicapped snail that brakes before cornering. If you are happy with that, go ahead. If you have a further question, say about 5 years from now, when you have your project loaded, please post and we will be happy to help you.

On a more serious note, you should be able to edit, but like two hedgehog's pairing, very very carefully.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I don't Envy you with your Envy
            travisnorthcutt Level 1

That's what I was afraid of. I do have access sometimes to a machine setup for editing, so I suppose for now I'll just have to use that when I can.

Is there any point in adding RAM and attempting to use an external drive with my eSATA port, or should I just save all the money I can for building a desktop system in the future? Along those lines (and this probably deserves its own thread), is there any sense in building an AMD based system, or is an i7-920 just the way to go for a budget build?

Thanks for the help. I've gone through most of the resources listed at the top of the forum and they're very informative. Your wisdom and generosity in sharing your knowledge is much appreciated.

• 3. Re: I don't Envy you with your Envy
              Harm Millaard Level 7

DSLR material requires quite some muscle. AMD is out because of the lacking SSE4.1+ support, which is heavily used.

Adding memory will not really help because of the CPU. It just is not powerful enough. Start saving for an i7-950 and a X58 mobo with at least 6 GB, but better 12 GB memory. and a nVidia GTX450+ card.

• 4. Re: I don't Envy you with your Envy
                travisnorthcutt Level 1

Thanks, Harm. One last question, and then I'll be done (for now), I promise!

For a budget build (emphasis on budget), would you consider the following to be good choices? Not listed is an OS/programs drive - I'd probably choose a 120GBor so SSD for that. This is hypothetical - not going to be making any purchases tomorrow, but possibly in a few months.

• COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
                • GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
                • EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
                • CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
                • Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950
                • x3 - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL
                • x3 - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Purchased on Newegg.com, that comes out to about $1300, not including a system drive. Thoughts?

• 5. Re: I don't Envy you with your Envy
                  literally_figurative Level 1

If you're on a budget I'm thinking you should forego the SSD. Just a thought.

• 6. Re: I don't Envy you with your Envy
                    travisnorthcutt Level 1

A fair point. However, I do already own one (currently it's in my Envy, which I no longer envy), so I'd likely replace it with the original HDD that came with the Envy (not to be envied), and move the SSD to the new machine. Either that, or just use the 320GB Seagate I have sitting here not doing much. I'd be sure to make regular images of the drive, of course.

• 7. Re: I don't Envy you with your Envy
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Instead of Caviar Blue, I would look at either Caviar Black or Samsung F3's. I would also look at a big tower instead of a mid tower. Yeah, it takes more space, but it offers better cooling, more expansion capabilities, easier cable management and easier installation.