21 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2011 8:28 AM by the_wine_snob

any ideas on why elements 9 may be running slow on my computer?

yogannon

I have an HP desktop pavillion, AMD athlon(tm) II *4 processor 2.9 GHz with 6 gb of RAM  on Windows 7.

elements 9 runs pretty good unless i'm zooming in on the timeline and trying to move to a different part of the movie - it becomes very slow and jerky.  Any ideas on what may be causing this would be greatly appreciated.

While i'm at it I might as well as if there is any other way to zoom in on a portion of the timeline other than just clicking on the zoom in zoom out buttons to the right side.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: any ideas on why elements 9 may be running slow on my computer?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help
          Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/459220?tstart=0

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with ALL OF THE DETAILS asked for in the FINALLY section, the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link... most especially the codec used and your project and output settings

Read Harm on drive setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0
          - click the embedded picture in Harm's message to enlarge to reading size
          - you need AT LEAST 2 drives for video editing, 3 is better
          - some HD formats work better with (require) RAID

Read Hunt on Partitions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811?tstart=0

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

• 2. Re: any ideas on why elements 9 may be running slow on my computer?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Many users have indicated that they believed that PrE 9 is slower in some tasks, than its predecessors, especially with actions involving the GUI. I have not seen any benchmarks, but this impression is fairly common.

Now, this ARTICLE might give you some tips on getting the most out of you computer in an editing session. With Win7, be sure to see Black Viper's Win7 Tune Up tips, down-thread. Also, there are several FAQ Entries (to the right-hand side of the main forum page), that talk about tuning the computer for PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: any ideas on why elements 9 may be running slow on my computer?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Aside from the speed of your processor, the chief determinant of how fast the program will run is the format of the video you're using and how closely your project settings match this source footage. Your system is at the lower end of the real world system requirements, but it may work well if you're not trying to edit too intensive video.

What type of camcorder is your video coming from and how did you get it into your computer?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select?

As for zoom in and out, the easiest way is to just use the + and - keys next the Backspace key on your keyboard. (I've got all of the major keyboard shortcuts in the appendix of my books, by the way!)

• 4. Re: any ideas on why elements 9 may be running slow on my computer?
                Jackcoreytz

Dear Steve,

I also am having the same problem, I just bought PE9, having used PE3 on Windows XP for years. I bought a new computer, and 'treated myself' to upgraded PE9. (PE3 BTW did not seem to work with Windows 7)  I am VERY disappointed. As others have reported, the video can not keep up, it jerks. For example if I 'scub' footage, the audio will keep up but the video in the monitor will lag behind sometimes to 2 seconds.  My question has to do with your comment:

"Your system is at the lower end of the real world system requirements,  but it may work well if you're not trying to edit too intensive video."

This blows my mind, because the poster you were replying to reported having 6gb of ram and a pretty good processor. This is the heart of what I am wanting to know from Adobe: has the term 'elements' lost its meaning? If we need stronger computers than say my typical one selling now (Intel core i3, with 4gb RAM) then in my opinion this is no longer a 'consumer' or hobbyist software, as it requires more than the typical computer 'consumers' are purchasing currently. In fact many computers  are still being sold slower than mine as I type. What I have is on high end of consumer scale. It seems like primier elements is becoming too pro.

So why is PE9 clogging us up? I do note your comments about project settings matching source footage which is a good point, but have done that. And even if there are answers, complicated ones about codexes etc,  why did I suddenly get these issues when I have been editing fine before (even with Avi files)?

Bottom line, my PE3 running on a six year old computer, windows xp, with a much slower processor, and only 1gb ram did a better job, faster with no glitches than what I am experiencing now.  I am hoping you will give Adobe some feedback on this issue.

Thanks for listening and who knows maybe there is an answer. Any other threads you'd reccomend I'll listen.

Corey

• 5. Re: any ideas on why elements 9 may be running slow on my computer?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Corey,

What material are you editing?

What are the specs. of your computer?

You seem to be talking about problems in playback, where the OP is talking more about slowness in performing actions in the GUI. Those are two totally different things.

As for playback, it is not really Adobe dictating more powerful computers, but the camera mfgrs. They introduced AVCHD, for instance, as a consumer format w/ the H.264 CODEC. However, to decode that footage for editing, takes a lot of CPU horsepower. That is what requires a more powerful computer. The same apples for a lot of flavors of H.264, though many of those are from higher-end cameras, and those users probably do have a faster computer already. It's the "consumer" variants of H.264 that trip people up. They assume that footage from a consumer camera will be easy to edit, and that the old computer will be adequate. The camera salesman never mentions the need for a new computer, as they will just wait until that customer comes back with complaints, and then sell the new system.

Good luck, and let us know what you're editing and on what system.

Hunt

• 6. Re: any ideas on why elements 9 may be running slow on my computer?
                    nealeh Level 5

For me the timeline thumbnails are horrifically slow in redrawing (but you can carry on with other activities while they refresh).

In the style of conspiracy theorist I believe Adobe knew about it, and that is why they changed the default timeline view from 'full thumbnails' to "start/finish thumbnails only".

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: any ideas on why elements 9 may be running slow on my computer?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

You'd better be careful. One night the black helicopters will appear over your flat, and the Adobe "storm troopers" will repel down to bang on your door!

Actually, your theory sounds very plausible.

Hunt

• 8. Re: any ideas on why elements 9 may be running slow on my computer?
                        Ted Smith Level 3

So many posts in this forum are on this, it would appear there should be a new seperate forum created just for this subject!

I suggest you generally switch thumbnails off or keep to a minimum until you really need them.

For a complicated project I make use of the multiple tracks, I copy bits I want to insert later and store them temporarily on a different track.You can see them clearly then without any thumbnails.  I make notes on a notepad.

All versions of PE were always slow if you selected "all thumbnails" in the time line. I believe this mode is really only necessary when you zoom right in to locate a change to set a break point.

Thumbnails are pretty useless otherwise when you have static shot which is generally the majority of material used as the thumbnails all look almost the same.

Without any thumbnails enabled you should be able to zoom in instantly using the slider to anywhere and it only takes a moment to change the thumbnail setting.

Of course it you only have one hard disk, zooming in can be unpredictable because PE may be continuously reading the thumbnail frame from the original video at the same time as it is trying to read which frame should be shown from a different project file.

Some large hard disks have a very poor accesss time specification which is more important here than actual read-write speed

Same goes if you have any red lines at the top of the timeline indicating partial rendering is needed.

• 9. Re: any ideas on why elements 9 may be running slow on my computer?
                          Jackcoreytz Level 1

To Bill Hunt

Thank you for your response. My system says: ACPI x64 base PC/ Intel Core i3 M370 @ 2.40 GHZ

No info on type of RAM just 4GB

Sound: Conexant CX20671 Smartaudio HD

I cant get any more information under systems under control panel, like video card type. Annoying me as I just bought this computer before xmas along with PE9, Toshiba laptop.

Yes this is happening during playback. For example I may just hit play to see how the footage I just clipped looks, and the video hangs, then jumps forward (though the audio funny keeps up) If I drag the 'cue' (sorry forgot that term) it delays then jumps to where I wanted it. But mostly is hitting play, either in the timeline or the smaller clip window where you can trim individual clips. Acts like its bogged down trying to catch up the video. Thumbnails are begining and end only. In PE3 thumbnails were throughout so ...

The material I am working with for now are AVI files. I have a back log of them from my wifes camera clips though in the future will resume with my miniDV camcorder.

The problem may be that I am not choosing the project presets properly? I dont remember having to choose from an array of complicated types in the past. I have tried setting the project at: 1.  DV Standard 48khz,2.  with Flip, 3. and under Harddrive/ flash drive etc - standard 48khz

Thank you for the imput about camera manufactures, makes sense. If any black helicopters are setting off to me for wrongly accussing the PE engineers for slowing down the system, please forgive. But it does seem that PE is getting too professional in my humble opinion. (Also I heard someone comment that PE uses their software for processing video/audio and not the computers memory???)

Thanks

Corey

• 10. Re: any ideas on why elements 9 may be running slow on my computer?
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>material I am working with for now are AVI files

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811?tstart=0

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

• 11. Re: any ideas on why elements 9 may be running slow on my computer?
                              Jackcoreytz Level 1

Thanks John,  that's good to know you also were working with AVI. I will

check the links out. Thanks to Ted Smith and Nealeh also

Though I must point out again, hopefully to an Adobe monitor, that I had no

problem with AVI files in PE3 and a much slower computer. But I will roll

with changes and check out these suggestions.

Kind regards

Corey

• 12. Re: any ideas on why elements 9 may be running slow on my computer?
                                Hydrilus Level 1

I've expierenced the very same problems on both my mac pro and my windows machine.

The mac is older but recently installed Elements 9 and the timeline lags big time when zooming in or out.

My windows machine was built just recently and has the very same lagging problem, despite having much better hardware.

Here are my pc specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64

EVGA X58 Classified motherboard

Intel i7 930 Quad core processor

12 gigs of 1600mhz RAM

Dual NVIDIA GTX 470s (1280mb GDDR5) in SLI

and a couple terabytes of space on some Western Digital Black HDs

I should NOT be having any issues in this program.  All updates are applied to everything and honestly it shouldn't even matter since my much older mac has the same problems as the much better equipped windows system.

It seems like Adobe cares more about how pretty the interface looks compared to how well it actually performs (that's one thing Sony got right with Vegas...plain barebones interface).

I have numerous other issues with Premiere Pro CS5 as well but at least that program runs smooth...so, what's the issue with ELEMENTS?

• 13. Re: any ideas on why elements 9 may be running slow on my computer?
                                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I encourage you to contact Adobe and let them know your concerns, Hydrilus.

• 14. Re: any ideas on why elements 9 may be running slow on my computer?
                                    remco-ve

Hi,

I notice the same problem with elements, scrolling the timeline was impossible. Funny thing to note, cpu usage during this action was very low.

I tried everything and nothing seemed to help until i created a shortcut to premiere, then in the compatibillity tab I disabled "desktop composition".

I feel this helped me a lot. I really cant believe this was required.

My system.

Win 7, 64bit

I7 3.2GHz

12GB RAM

Revodrive x2 SSD

• 15. Re: any ideas on why elements 9 may be running slow on my computer?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

One comment on your PC: neither PrE, nor PrPro can use SLI, and it can actually cause major display issue. The same for ATI's Crossfire.

Also, have you looked through this ARTICLE, and all of its links?

All of that said, many users have commented negatively on the redraw/refresh of the GUI in PrE 9.0. Their experiences indicate that it is much slower, than in PrE 8.0, for similar Projects. I have not seen any comments from Adobe on this - either a cause, or a cure.

Good luck, and as for your Mac, I have zero comments, as I am totally Mac-illiterate.

Hunt

• 16. Re: any ideas on why elements 9 may be running slow on my computer?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

The scrolling of the Timeline, and all GUI operations are very highly GPU dependent, and use few CPU cycles.

I am not an Adobe engineer, so this is but a couple of guesses:

• PrE 9 has either added some more elements in the GUI, and they require more GPU power, and an even greater interface with the video driver, than earlier versions
                                        • More users are on Win7, and there are widgets, and enhancements for display operations, that are really getting in the way.

Remember, those are but guesses.

I would love to hear from Adobe on what has changed in PrE 9, that could cause the observed slowness. At least you found an element that improved performance somewhat, and thank you for posting that, as it might well help others.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: any ideas on why elements 9 may be running slow on my computer?
                                          remco-ve Level 1

Hi i forgot to mention im running a GTX 460 which would expect to run the GUI of premiere just fine.

I noticed this issue before with other applications under windows server 2008.

I hope it helps others to solve some of the slowness in the timeline.

Still have to say that elements is a great product for a decent price.

• 18. Re: any ideas on why elements 9 may be running slow on my computer?
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

The GTX-460 should certainly be powerful enough, provided that the driver is the latest version.

It does seem that something changed with PrE 9, as many, with stout machines with good GPU's report the same slowness.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: any ideas on why elements 9 may be running slow on my computer?
                                              NotEnoughHours Level 1

@remco-ve

"i created a shortcut to premiere, then in the compatibillity tab I disabled "desktop composition"."

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I have been miserably tolerated PE9 for months now, venting many times on this forum about how slow the timeline is to refresh when zooming or moving around. YOU, my friend have just vasty improved PE9's performance! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I just tried this suggestion and man, what a difference.  It's still not quite as smooth as it was with PE8 (talking about the same system), but MUCH faster than it was.  Just shows you - no matter how you've given up hope on problems like this, still well worth checking out the forums once in a while!

• 20. Re: any ideas on why elements 9 may be running slow on my computer?
                                                NotEnoughHours Level 1

And in my sheer excitment, I completely forgot to say "thank you"...  so, officially, remco-ve: THANK YOU!!!

• 21. Re: any ideas on why elements 9 may be running slow on my computer?
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I have just added WarrensDad's suggestion to the Tips & Tricks ARTICLE on crashing & hanging of PrE (and especially PrE 9 on Win7).

Glad that it worked for you!

Hunt