10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2011 8:23 PM by the_wine_snob

Video format conundrum for the wise to attempt to solve

crimper84

Hi,

First post here so please don't all slate me ferociously like a lot of forums seem to do to noobs.

The other day I purchased a Toshiba Camileo H30, I bought it as a compact take everywhere camera that would shoot full HD (although not particularly good full HD). My brother has a Sony Z7 and uses premiere pro CS5 to edit with so I paid him a visit to try some editing of my new cameras first footage.

Unfortunately, so far we have failed miserably to make it work. He is good at his craft but he's not very techy (so he's not a great deal of help) and I'm techy but not very good at the new craft.

The only info I have is that the raw footage from the camera is 1920x1080, it is in AVI format, the sound is 48000HZ and if I run it through G-Spot it tells me the codec is H.264 and the "name" is H.264/MPEG-4 AVC. It is also openDML (AVI 2.0) in the container box.

The file won't open in Quicktime pro, divx player or adobe media encoder but it does open in VLC and Media Player. As it doesn't open in media encoder or quicktime I can't even work out how to convert it into a format that will work.

If anyone can help me on this I will be eternally grateful as I currently have a camera that I can't really use for what I want. I am planning on getting a 7D (or similar) in the future but I think it will be at least 6 months or so (hence the go between).

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Video format conundrum for the wise to attempt to solve
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Funnily enough, we just worked on an issue with these files last night. Try this:

1. In VLC, select Media > Convert/Save; "Add" an AVI file and hit the Convert/Save button
          2. Specify your destination, and select the profile "Video - H.264 + AAC (MP4);" click the "tools" button next to it
          3. In  the dialog that appears, make sure that both the "Video codec" and  "Audio codec" tabs are set to "Keep original video/audio track"
          4. Finally,  hit Start; a few moments later, a new MP4 file should appear in the  specified destination. Nothing is transcoded--just rewrapped into an MP4  container--and Premiere will open this.

I've been tinkering with a batch file to automate this, and it seems to work, though I'm not smart enough to figure out how to make it correct the filenames.

Create a new text document with a .BAT extension--call it (without quotes) something like "mp4.bat" and save it in the folder with all the AVI files. Copy and paste the following into it:

@ECHO OFF
          for %%a in (*.avi) do "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc" -I dummy "%%a" --sout=#:file{dst="%%a".mp4} vlc://quit

Save the file, and then double-click it. You'll see a flurry of DOS windows popping up and disappearing, and then a stack of MP4s will appear in the folder, named "filename.avi.mp4." I haven't figured out yet how to eliminate the ".avi" from the new file name, but you can easily fix that with a renamer utility if it bothers you. Shouldn't matter though; they'll import just fine into Premiere.

Let us know if there are any problems!

• 2. Re: Video format conundrum for the wise to attempt to solve
            crimper84 Level 1

You are a hero!

Thank you so much for this it has made my day. The only thing I'd like to clarify is the .bat file.

I made it into a .bat file with notepad and it runs but nothing happens, I assume I'm supposed to add in my folder names etc but I'm not sure what to put where to make it work.

The text in my notepad file looks like this:

@ECHO OFF

for %%a in (*.avi) do "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc" -I dummy "%%a" --sout=#:file{dst="%%a".mp4} vlc://quit

Can you tell me what to put where so that it can find my files and put them in the right place?

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Video format conundrum for the wise to attempt to solve
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Just save it in the same folder with your AVI files--and make sure that the file didn't get saved with a .TXT extension (you have to have the setting changed in Windows to allow extension viewing). You don't need to change anything in the BAT file; it will process whatever it finds with an AVI extension in that folder and save them as MP4 files.

Let me know if that does/doesn't work. Still figuring out the renaming! Good luck...

• 4. Re: Video format conundrum for the wise to attempt to solve
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

As you can see, we're pretty much a "different breed of forum," and Colin is one of the best that you'll find around here. Glad that he was able to give you just what you needed. He does things like that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Video format conundrum for the wise to attempt to solve
                  crimper84 Level 1

Sorted! The .bat file works, the conversions works, IT ALL WORKS!!!

Never have you made another man so happy. Thanks a lot.

I'd be interested to get your update on the renaming but I'm more than happy as it is.

Thanks a lot.

• 6. Re: Video format conundrum for the wise to attempt to solve
                    crimper84 Level 1

You're right, this is a different breed. Hopefully I'll skill up a bit and be able to give something back.

• 7. Re: Video format conundrum for the wise to attempt to solve
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Hopefully I'll skill up a bit and be able to give something back.

Hey, you have a good start on that. The word "success" is revered around these parts! 

We all love to hear it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Video format conundrum for the wise to attempt to solve
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

Cool I had only one of these files to test, so I'm glad to know that it works on a whole pile of them!

I'm working on getting the batch file sussed out such that it properly names the files, so stay tuned. In the meantime, I highly recommend my favorite file-renaming utility: ReNamer. It will make quick work of eliminating any unwanted characters in a batch of files, or serializing them, or whatever other naming scheme you desire.

Have fun!

• 9. Re: Video format conundrum for the wise to attempt to solve
                          Colin Brougham Level 6
                          I'd be interested to get your update on the renaming but I'm more than happy as it is.

The wait is over! Here's the updated script:

@ECHO OFF
                          for %%a in (*.avi) do "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc" -I dummy "%%a" --sout=#:file{dst="%%~na".mp4} vlc://quit

Change the "Program Files (x86)" to "Program Files" if that's where VLC is installed. That's it--save and run it! The MP4s will have the same name as the AVIs, without the extra ".avi" junk in the filename.

Woo hoo!

• 10. Re: Video format conundrum for the wise to attempt to solve
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Man, you are working late tonight! Don't you know that my LSU Tigers are playing TX A&M in the Cotton Bowl?

What about "beer-thirty... "

Good going,

Hunt