6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2011 10:08 AM by fabKto123

Lenovo S20 for Production Premium?

i consider buying a new desktop computer for use with Production Premium CS5 (mainly PP and AE). Most of the time i work with DVCProHD Footage but would like to have enough power for other stuff (maybe doing some RED stuff in the future).

A friend told me that the Lenovo S20 Workstation would be a good choice:

Xeon UP W3530 4x 3.06GHz
      6GB RAM
      Harddrive 1 x 500 GB
      Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit

I would add a GTX470, 6GB RAM and more hardrives (would a 80GB SSD be an good choice for system and applications?).

Do you think this would be an good option?!

Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Lenovo S20 for Production Premium?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Good options depend on capacities and price. Basic capacities you have told us about, but we are in the dark about price.

Basic ingredients for an entry level system are i7-950, X58 mobo, 12 GB RAM, GTX-460+

Your choice of Xeon W3530 is similar to an i7-950, with less memory restraints but significantly more expensive. If you do not intend to go over 24 GB RAM, the Xeon model is a waste of money.

OS choice is good, hard disk setup is lousy. Look here: Adobe Forums: Generic Guideline for Disk Setup

PS. Just read your link, around € 1.200 with only 6 Gb memory, a single disk, it all seems a bit steep to me, the PSU is marginal.

• 2. Re: Lenovo S20 for Production Premium?
            fabKto123 Level 1

Thank you very much for your fast answer!

I am film student, so the less expansive the better;) but i want something solid to work with. I planed about 1.500 € for it (without monitor).

Currently i do all my video work (along with a lot of other stuff) on a MacBook Pro (2,8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 4GB RAM) with CS4. It quite ok for working with the DVCProHD Footage but i want an desktop solution thats only dedicated for video post production.

Thank for the link to the disk setup guide, i already read it before posting. It was clear to me that i have to put in more harddrives, i just thought thats something i can decide later on...

A friend told me that the xeon processors would be better for extensive work and i saw they are used in the MacPros and many workstations. Are there any advantages from the xeon`s over the i7s?

Are there any pre-build models with your configuration available? I dont know much about computer hardeware and it would be nice if i could buy an working system with warranty.

(Sorry for my bad english;))

• 3. Re: Lenovo S20 for Production Premium?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

The PPBM5 Benchmark has one S20 on the results page. It comes out at 672 seconds and without hardware MPE is around 11 times slower than a fast system. It is not a very good performance.

The only advantage of Xeon over i7 is that they can support more than 24 GB memory, but that does not apply to you. For the rest, look at those benchmark results and decide whether an i7-950 might not be more economic.

You could have a look at http://www.adkvideoediting.com/

They build custom machines and give great service. The alternative is building it yourself, which is not difficult and more economic.

• 4. Re: Lenovo S20 for Production Premium?
                fabKto123 Level 1

I looked at a similar configuration like the one from this post:

So this would be:

Intel Core i7-950, 4x 3.06GH

ASUS Sabertooth X58, X58 (dual PC3-10667U DDR3)

EVGA GeForce GTX 470

Patriot Viper II Sector 7 DIMM Kit 12GB PC3-10667U CL9-9-9-24 (DDR3-1333)

Cooler Master HAF932 black, schallgedämmt

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W ATX 2.2

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

LG Electronics BH10LS30

It`s not so much cheaper than buying the Lenovo S20 and adding the GTX470 and RAM. Do you think this configuration would be better than the S20?

If it`s the same in terms of speed i would tend to pay a bit more for the S20 but get a working system.

For the Harddrives i thought about:

120 GB SSD:            System/ Programs (OCZ Onyx 2 120GB, 2.5", SATA II)

300 GB WD Raptor:  Pagefile/ Media Cache (Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB, SATA II)

2 TB:                     Media/ Projects (Hitachi DeskStar 7K2000 2000GB, SATA II)

2 TB:                     Previews, Exports (Hitachi DeskStar 7K2000 2000GB, SATA II)

What do you think about that?

Thanks in advance!

• 5. Re: Lenovo S20 for Production Premium?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Looks like a system that in default mode will perform at least as good as the S20, but has more potential for overclocking.

If you need to shave off some $$$, because of budget contraints, forget about the SSD, use the 300 G Velociraptor for OS/programs and get a 320 G Samsung F4 for page-file, etc. You can shave off some more $$$ by choosing the GTX-460 instead of the 470. The performance difference is very minor.

• 6. Re: Lenovo S20 for Production Premium?
                    fabKto123 Level 1

Ok, thank you very much for your effort!

Is it a good idea to overclock? I was told it could damage the system...

As you maybe already noticed i am not very experienced on this topic and the main reason for me to buy a new computer is that i want a stable, raliable (offline) system.

So do you think overclocking will be 100% safe?

Also i heard about mainboards where i have the option to buy an quadcore now and add an second processor later to uprade to an octocore. But if i understood it right, the test from your link claim that they will be slower for any reason.

It would be great to have an futureproof system the can easily be expanded...

Thanks again, very much!