8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2007 3:24 AM by ukdazza

Animated menu with depths...

Ben_Impinge
      Hey guys, I've only recently started playin around with some real actionscript coding so please be gentle

I'm building a site with a flash menu in the top frame, and html in the bottom frame. I have several buttons at the top; home, about, news etc, and I want an animation to play each time a button is clicked.

For instance, when the page loads up initially I have an animation that brings up all the buttons etc and then stops. Then, when I click the about button for instance, I want it to load the about.swf movie clip on top of the current one, which will animate some stuff over the top and display the menu again. Then say I want to go back to home it animates on top again, and news on top again etc.. Sorry if thats a bit difficult to understand.
      I've experimented using loadMovieNum() and swapDepths() but I keep having problems, any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot,
      -Ben
        • 1. Re: Animated menu with depths...
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          is all this happening in the top frame? all in the bottom frame? some in the top and some in the bottom?
          • 2. Re: Animated menu with depths...
            BarryGee
            Hi Ben.

Firstly. Welcome to the forums and to the Flash community. Why dont you start by telling us exactly what problems you are having and maybe include some of the code you have used.

Barry.
            • 3. Animated menu with depths...
              Ben_Impinge Level 1
              Hey thanks for replying. I'm making a site for an independant fashion designer, I've made many sites using flash before, www.impinge.co.uk for example, so I'm pretty experienced in all the cosmetic side of flash. I can code a little in C++, I understand loops and arrays etc, but I'm having trouble with AS.

My site design is one top frame one bottom. The bottom is purely html, my .swf will be n the top frame only. The top frame is 100px heigh and when the site 1st loads I have a logo and navigation buttons that animate in and then stop.

What I'm trying to do is quite simple though I explained it badly probably. Basicaly my navigation buttons are about, city, fresh, romanesque [3 of the ranges] and contact. When the user clicks city for instance, I want the bottom frame to load the city page, which I can do, but I also want it to trigger an animation in the top frame. Now I know I could use gotoAndPlays etc to do all that, but I want them to animate (haven't decided on what exactly yet, lets say wipe from left to right) onto the screen over the top, and I don't want to animate home to about, home to city, home to fresh, home to romanesque etc and all the ones in between.

Hope you're still with me.

Once the next section, city for instance, has animated (behind the nav bar there'll be a new york skyline n sum of the clothes), I think I'm gonna have to remove what's below to save on memory also.

So what I've been trying to do is use loadMovieNum() , attachMovie() and others to achieve this but I'm just getting nowhere.

If you could just outline the code I'm gonna need for the buttons, eg: creating and loading a new movie clip on the top, and then what I'm gonna need in the last frame of the new movie clip to remove what's underneath.

I hope that makes sense to you guys, thanks again for your help,
              -Ben
              • 4. Animated menu with depths...
                Ben_Impinge Level 1
                More info lol

So when you click 'about', about.swf is loaded ontop of the everything, it animates to its finished position. Then 'news' is clicked, news.swf is loaded ontop of everything, it animates to its finished position, and then removes about.swf from underneath because it can no longer be seen, and so on...
                • 6. Re: Animated menu with depths...
                  kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  starting with "..Now I know I could use gotoAndPlays etc to do all that, but I want them to animate (haven't decided..." i understood nothing that you were describing.
                  • 7. Re: Animated menu with depths...
                    Ben_Impinge Level 1
                    Sorry ermm... well basicly when a link in my flash navbar is clicked I want the html page in the botom frame to change, which I can do, but I also want the flash navbar to animate and display different images to go with the page thats loaded up. Does that explain it better?
                    • 8. Re: Animated menu with depths...
                      ukdazza
                      not really lol. I have a new topic I am just about to post about a navigation menu i have made but need help with, have a look at that.