9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2011 7:35 PM by Colin Brougham

transfer HD videos from iMovie 08 to Premiere Pro CS5 in Windows

rmunkler

Hey all,

I know this is as much an Apple problem as it is an Adobe problem, and I am posting it on the Apple support pages as well, but I am hoping that someone here can help me out.

I used iMovie 08 and my Macbook 4.1 with OSX 10.5.8 to import several hours of wedding video to a removable harddrive.  I used 2 cameras to record the video.  The first is a tape based Sony HVR-V1U (http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/cat-hdv/product-HVRV1U/) and imported in full quality 1920 x 1080.  The second is a file based Canon Vixia HF200 (http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/products?m=gp&pid=985)  This is also full quality 1920 x 1080 video.  It was all imported to the same event in iMovie 08.  I realized after I had done this, that I can't (easily) do 2 camera angles with iMovie 08.  So I went shopping for a new computer and software.  Long story short, I bought a Windows 7 64 bit machine with Adobe Production Premium CS5.  When I tried to ingest (Adobe's term for importing) the videos into Premiere Pro, I get the error "codec missing or unavailable".

As far as I can tell, iMovie 08 imported the files and encoded them with the AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec). After doing a lot of searching, I couldn't find a program that would allow me to transcode the videos to a codec that Premiere Pro on Windows 7 could understand.  And I couldn't find the AIC to install on Windows.

So now I am coming to the users of this forum, in the hopes that someone has some help to offer me.  If anyone has some helpful advice, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Russell

• 1. Re: transfer HD videos from iMovie 08 to Premiere Pro CS5 in Windows
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Russell,

For the file-based footage, just Copy it over to the PC, and Import it into PrPro. For the tape-based footage, there could be an issue. Some Mac CODEC's are Mac-specific. I do not have a list, as I am a PC person, but others will be able to tell you which ones are X-platform, and which are not.

Let us assume that the Import CODEC is one that is NOT X-platform. If so, then there are two courses of action:

Export from iMovie in a CODEC that is X-Platform. I use a lot of Mac-generated footage, and request MOV Animation, but am working in SD only. There are other options for that Export, and some like the Photo-JPEG CODEC, and a few others.

Re-Capture that tape-based footage in PrPro.

Good luck, and wait for the replies on an Export format suggestion from folk, who work in HD between Mac's and PC's.

Hunt

• 2. Re: transfer HD videos from iMovie 08 to Premiere Pro CS5 in Windows
            Colin Brougham Level 6

As far as I can tell, iMovie 08 imported the files and encoded them with the AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec). After doing a lot of searching, I couldn't find a program that would allow me to transcode the videos to a codec that Premiere Pro on Windows 7 could understand.  And I couldn't find the AIC to install on Windows.

You've done your research--good on you. Here's the bad news: you're correct, on both counts. Windows won't playback AIC-encoded MOVs (ever), and there is no AIC components to install for Windows--this is a Mac-only codec.

Now, you can likely transcode these files to something else that is cross-platform, but you'll have to use the Mac. One option is Apple's ProRes422 (you have encoding ability on the Mac, and playback ability on the PC with QT Player installed), or you could use the Avid QuickTime Codecs; just install the package on both the Mac and PC. Use DNxHD at the setting that matches your footage, probably in the 8-bit flavor.

The other option, as Bill pointed out, is to recapture the footage from the tape, and reimport the Vixia footage from the original files. Most people will recommend HDVSplit for capturing HDV--Premiere's HDV capture is not the best. Premiere will natively edit the footage from the Vixia, so nothing special needs to be done there.

Have you actually done any editing in iMovie, or did you just get the footage captured/imported? If you did do some editing, I might have a trick for you to get the iMovie edit into Premiere... maybe

• 3. Re: transfer HD videos from iMovie 08 to Premiere Pro CS5 in Windows
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Have you actually done any editing in iMovie, or did you just get the footage captured/imported? If you did do some editing, I might have a trick for you to get the iMovie edit into Premiere

Good point Colin. If editing HAS been done, there are two schools of thought on doing an Export from iMovie (or any other editing program). Much of the choice will depend on how far along, and how "set in stone" your editing is.

1. School # 1 - edit very loosely, leaving a lot of trim in the footage for Handles later. Add no Transitions, and then Export to an X-platform format/CODEC, for Import into PrPro.
              2. School # 2 - edit very tightly, until one is totally satisfied (and the client too), and then Export that "finished" Timeline to an X-platform format/CODEC, for Import into PrPro.

If you have done no editing yet, that simplifies things greatly, and Colin has nailed the process for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: transfer HD videos from iMovie 08 to Premiere Pro CS5 in Windows
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Nah... even better than that. You can sneak up like a ninja on the iMovie project file and steal its XML--which just happens to be (mostly) FCP-compatible--and Premiere Pro just happens to import FCP XML files.

<evilgrin>

• 5. Re: transfer HD videos from iMovie 08 to Premiere Pro CS5 in Windows
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

"Ninja" eh? That is beyond my "pay grade."

Now, when the OP sends you the whole project, and asks that "Yoda" do it for them...

Thanks for that Colin,

Hunt

• 6. Re: transfer HD videos from iMovie 08 to Premiere Pro CS5 in Windows
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I would add my voice to Bill and Colin's suggestion to scrap what you have from the Mac and start over.  Recapture the tape and go back to the original AVCHD files.

• 7. Re: transfer HD videos from iMovie 08 to Premiere Pro CS5 in Windows
                      rmunkler Level 1

Thanks everyone for your quick and helpful answers.  I appologize, I should have mentioned this from the start, I just forgot.  I have already deleted the files from the canon file-based camera and taped over the tapes on the Sony.  Otherwise I would simply have reimported as was suggested.  I haven't done any editing on the Mac yet, so that is good.

Colin, how do I go about transcoding it using any of the CODECs you suggested.  I've used programs like Prism (http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/index.html) before, but it wouldn't work for this.  Again, I appologize, I am really new to video editing, and the stuff you said about "8 bit flavor" really went over my head.  Perhaps someone knows of a good website or even online course that covers this kind of background knowledge?

Russell

• 8. Re: transfer HD videos from iMovie 08 to Premiere Pro CS5 in Windows
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Perhaps someone knows of a good website or even online course that covers this kind of background knowledge?

Here's a thread with lots of suggestions about resources for getting started:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/742170

• 9. Re: transfer HD videos from iMovie 08 to Premiere Pro CS5 in Windows
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Next time, be sure to keep the originals

I'll suggest using MPEG Streamclip for this; it's a free application with a lot great capabilities when it comes to dealing with QuickTime files. You need the Mac version for this, since you have AIC files that will only play back on the Mac. Also, get the Avid QuickTime Codecs for both the Mac and PC; install them both on their appropriate platforms.

Once you launch MPEG Streamclip, go to (note that I'm doing this from a PC, so it may be slightly different on a Mac) List > Batch List; the Batch List will appear. Click the Add Files button; navigate to the location of all files of your captured/imported MOVs with the AIC codec and select them all and hit Open. A dialog will appear asking what you want to do; choose the Export to QuickTime option and hit OK.

A new dialog will appear asking you where to save the files; I suggest a different drive than the one where your files are currently stored. Note that you will also need approximately 5-6 times the amount of storage space as the files currently occupy.

Once you select your destination and hit OK, the Movie Exporter dialog will appear. You didn't mention the frame rate of your clips, and whether they're interlaced or progressive, so you're going to have to do a little experimentation with this--but I'll assume for the sake of this demonstration that you're dealing with 1920x1080, interlaced, 29.97.

From the Compression dialog, select "Avid DNxHD Codec" and crank the Quality slider to 100%. Click the Options button. Leave Color Levels at "709," Alpha at "None," and set Resolutions to "1080i/59.94 DNxHD 145 8-bit." Hit OK. Make sure Sound is set to Uncompressed Stereo Auto (your audio should be 48kHz, so Auto is fine). If it isn't already, set Frame Size to one of the 1920x1080 options. In Frame Rate enter "29.97." Check the "Interlaced Scaling" box and make sure Field dominance is set to "Upper Field First." Finally, hit the "To Batch" button, and all the selected files will be added to the Batch List with the encoding parameters you just set. Hit the "Go" button and walk away for awhile. When they're done, as long as you have the Avid codecs installed on your PC, you'll be able to import and edit those files.

Now, I again have to reiterate that the above recommendations are based on a guess as to what the nature of your footage is. If you know for sure it is not that, by all means, change the appropriate parameters (probably frame rate) to what they should be to match the footage. If you're not sure what your footage is, download and install MediaInfo on your Mac and create a report in Tree view of one each of the files (one from the V1U and one from the HF200), and post here. I'll revise the instructions if necessary.

Let me know if you have any questions.