6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2011 8:49 PM by the_wine_snob

premiere elements 9

austinjamin

i have a dell inspiron with windows 7 has an intel Core i3 cpu M370 @2.40 GHz has 6.0GB RAM and an ATI mobility Radeion HD video card.

Premiere seems to continue to shut down on me.  My computer is brand new and the software was just purchased recently.  I recently tried to make slide show - inserted one song and had a title page.  Click run and premiere says it has encountered a problem and is shutting down.

This happens constantly when I try to do most things.  Is there anything that I am not thinking of that would cause this?  Is this a software problem?  Help. 

• 1. Re: premiere elements 9
          austinjamin Level 1

also i just noticed that if i don't play it from the very beginning - just move the start in a second then it works, but if it is played from one second in or so then it works?

ok - i've narrowed it down more.  The video (which is just a title page) runs fine with the audio track, but once I add an effect such as a fade in of the video then it stops working?

• 2. Re: premiere elements 9
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Though you have a new computer (and maybe because you do), this ARTICLE would be my first stop. With Win7, be sure to see Black Viper's Win7 Tune Ups, down-thread a bit.

Along the way, check these items:

• Update the video driver to the very latest
            • Update the audio driver to the very latest
            • Update Apple's QT Player to the latest
            • Install any/all Windows updates/hot-fixes

Also, while you are doing those things, please furnish the full specs. of the Video files that you are editing, and also the Project Preset chosen, when you did New Project.

Last, there are some good FAQ Entries on tuning up your computer, found on the right-hand side of the main forum page.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: premiere elements 9
              austinjamin Level 1

not really a video file it is just a still title that has been added in and then an audio (m4a) file put in.  i updated all the drivers last week when I was on the phone with adobe.  For project settings the general editing mode is HDV 1080i - not sure if that is what you were referring to.

• 4. Re: premiere elements 9
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, thanks for that.

The first thing that I would do is to Scale the still to match the Project Preset's Frame Size in PS/PSE, prior to Import. This ARTICLE might be useful.

Second, I would convert that Audio file to PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit, prior to Import. If you do not have a good audio-editing program to do that, then I suggest the great, free Audacity. Besides converting audio formats, it's a very, very useful tool.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: premiere elements 9
                  austinjamin Level 1

the issue just occurs when an effect is added to the inserted title.  Doesn't seem like it should be this much of an issue for something as simple as this.

the item is not a still image - top of premiere is title - new title - default still

It is just like a power point slide nothing complex here.

• 6. Re: premiere elements 9
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of any still images?

If one only has a Title in the Timeline, I cannot image what could be causing the issue. Now, if you were having an issue with Titler shutting down, then I'd ask about fonts, but that does not seem to be the case.

Good luck,

Hunt