11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2011 5:34 PM by Guinness95624

Premier Elements 9 - Trial - SLUGGISH?

Guinness95624 Level 1

Ok...  So, I've been using Premier Pro 1.5 for a few years, and now have a Flip, which the Pro 1.5 does not accept (MP4).  Bummer.

So, I'm not going to spend $1500 on the latest and greatest, when really I don't need something that robust.  I downloaded and installed (trial) Elements 9.

This software is so Sluggish, I can't imagine spending $99 for it.

My system:

AMD Phenom X4 3.20ghz

4gig of mem

Nividia 9600GT

Win7 64

I'd think, my system would have Zero problem with this software.

Yes, I have the latest updates for Win7.  I think there's a new update for Quicktime, but the recent update can't be that old, as my system is fresh [install as of 2 months ago].  Nvidia drivers are up to date.

Here's what I do...  I create videos of music a record.  Video and Audio.  Audio is done with Audition 1.5, then imported into the video proggy.  From there I slice and dice it up to what I'm looking to create.  Video is from DV and the Flip.

Suggestions?  Look at other solutions?

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 9 - Trial - SLUGGISH?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What project settings are you selecting when you set up your Premiere Elements project? If you select the correct Flip settings, the video should show apear on your timeline with no red lines above it. If you're seeing red lines, your project isn't using the correct Flip settings.

What format are you bringing your audio in as from Audition? You should be using WAVs, not MP3s.

If you're still having problems, something's seriously wrong on your machine. I can work with Flip video to some degree on my Pentium 4, and I have no problems working with it on a little old dual core 2.6 ghz!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premier Elements 9 - Trial - SLUGGISH?
            Guinness95624 Level 1

For audio, I'll use Mp3's and Wav.   The audio needs to be high quality and I'd usually record at 96k...  32-bit.

The settings I used in my test was not the Flip presettings.  I choose HD 720, not the flip.

I'll try it again using flip settings.  But I also use DV too.

Again, I'm just surprised how sluggish it was.  With Pro 1.5, it was never like this, and I'd have multiple clips, audio files all on a slower pc.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Perhaps I should just get a mP4 converter and keep using Pro 1.5?

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 9 - Trial - SLUGGISH?

As I said, do not use MP3s. Use WAVs only for your audio and music and you should see a significant improvement in performance -- assuming you're using the right project setting (no red lines above your clips on the timeline).

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premier Elements 9 - Trial - SLUGGISH?
                Guinness95624 Level 1

So, i just did some quick research...

My Flip is the Ultra HD:  H.264 video

HD 720p (1280 x 720)  at 60fps

I didn't see that setting.  Max fps I saw in Elements was 30.  Am I not looking at it correctly?

I just messed with it again.  Took a 20 minute clip, added some mp3 audio.  Rendering did help, but it is still unbelievably sluggish.   Adding an effect is almost painful.   Zooming in and out on the timeline reminds me of a very old computer trying to run a large spreadsheet.   The program reminds me of Vista...  too much gui that bogs the whole OS down.  Know that I mean?

My mem usage is a 55%, so it's no like I'm maxing out the PC.

Suggestions?

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 9 - Trial - SLUGGISH?
                  Guinness95624 Level 1

Ok..  I'll drop the MP3's I have in there, and drop in a few wav files.   I would think MP3 would be better, as it's a smaller file.

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 9 - Trial - SLUGGISH?

Yes. DO NOT USE MP3S!

And use the Flip project preset for HD 720p at 30 fps.

• 7. Re: Premier Elements 9 - Trial - SLUGGISH?
                      Guinness95624 Level 1

I'm very curious as to why no MP3.

But that's besides the point.

File is rendered.  I trimed it down to 8 minutes.  Deleted the mp3 and added a wav file.  The file is Flip 720 30p.

Still very sluggish.  It really bogs down when I resize the screen, move clips around on the timeline, zoom in or out of the timeline, add effects.  And now I've noticed the vertical red line placeholder thingy doesn't move when I press play.

Either Elements 9 doesn't like Win7 64, or the proggy is a pos.  I'd guess it's the former and not the latter, as I've always like adobe products.

know any good MP4 converters?

• 8. Re: Premier Elements 9 - Trial - SLUGGISH?

Unfortunately, you're not dealing with a regular MP4. You're dealing with a Flip's proprietary 3ivX MP4, which the presets in Premiere Elements interface with.

If you're still seeing red lines above your video clips when you add them to your timeline, then something is not right. If you're not seeing red lines and you're still getting sluggish playback, your system isn't tuned right. It should fly!

Sorry I can't offer more help. If you're doing what I've recommended, you should have no problems. As I've said, I'm using a machine with a fraction of your power and I'm experiencing no sluggishness whatsoever.

• 9. Re: Premier Elements 9 - Trial - SLUGGISH?
                          Guinness95624 Level 1

Thanks Steve.

What OS are you using?

I downloaded PowerDirector9.  It's supposably optimized for Win7 64.

• 10. Re: Premier Elements 9 - Trial - SLUGGISH?
                            Guinness95624 Level 1

Well...  PowerDirector runs as I'd expect...  very smooth.

I think the difference is, PD creates a shadow file for editing.  Then in final render, it uses the HD file.   this way the timeline or storyboard isn't bogged down by HD content.   Can elements do that?   (even though, when I pull the actual HD content onto the timeline (not rendered) the program still runs smooth.  I'll try elements with a simple DV file and see if it's still bogged down.  If that's that case, then it's not the file content, but something with Win7 and elements not getting along.

A problem with PD though is the timeline can't be changed to Audio units.  I'm not sure if Elements can either, now that I think about it.  I need it at that level (00:00:00000) because I need to sync the audio precisely with the video  (recorded separately).

an interesting note..  PD does not display Wave form for wav files, but does for mp3's.  Need that too.    Looks like PD isn't going to work, although, I will say I like it...  mostly because it runs as you'd expect a program to run....  smooth.

• 11. Re: Premier Elements 9 - Trial - SLUGGISH?
                              Guinness95624 Level 1

Someone gave me your post on converting AVCHD to HD post:

http://www.koyotesoft.com/indexEn.html

I think I'm going to use that to convert the MP4 clips and just continue to use Premiere Pro 1.5.1

i'm converting some clips now.  Wow.. it's going slow... Going to take some time.