6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2011 9:13 AM by jesskaat

64 bit and 32 bit

jesskaat Level 1

I apologize if this question has already been answered, but I'm wondering why only Encoder and Premiere Pro are in the 64 bit program file. I suppose all the rest are still 32 bit????

in 32 bit folder:

Encore

Device Central

Bridge

Utilites

Extension Manager

On Location

Thanks for your help.

Jessica

• 1. Re: 64 bit and 32 bit
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Right now (go to the various Adobe product pages and look at the system requirements sub-pages) I know of 4 programs that are 64bit

Photoshop + Premiere Pro + After Effects + Media Encoder

All other Adobe products are 32bit (I have CS5 Master Collection)

Writing all new source code for 64bit is time consuming... there MAY be other programs rewritten to 64bit in the future, but we do not know Adobe's plans

Encore specifically will NOT be 64bit until Roxio, the owner of the core technology to burn discs, provides 64bit modules to Adobe

• 2. Re: 64 bit and 32 bit
            jesskaat Level 1

Thanks for the verification.

• 3. Re: 64 bit and 32 bit
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Why would you want or need other programs to be 64-bit programs? It makes sense for Photoshop, Premiere Pro, and After Effects because they're processing large numbers of huge images with operations that require a lot of things to be stored in memory.

I'm not saying what plans are or aren't for these other applications, but if you are considering requesting that these applications go 64-bit, be sure to articulate why in your feature request. It's a huge amount of work, and implementing this one feature request would displace many, many other features.

• 4. Re: 64 bit and 32 bit
                the_wine_snob Level 9

As for Encore, there is another, very big consideration - it is really just an abstraction layer that uses the Sonic AuthorCore modules, licensed from Sonic, and mostly written by Sonic (though Adobe probably does some work on them too - they start as Sonic). Until Sonic writes 64-bit modules, Encore will probably stay 32-bit.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: 64 bit and 32 bit
                  jesskaat Level 1

No, not considering that. Just curious.

Thanks

• 6. Re: 64 bit and 32 bit
                    jesskaat Level 1

Ok, now I understand a bit better. Thanks.