31 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2011 10:29 AM by dan3430

Premiere Elements 9 crashing

thedogs2

I have just installed Premier Elements 9 with Photoshop Elements 9.

Equipment: Dell Insprion 530;Intel 2 CPU at1.87 Ghz; 2 GB Ram.

NVidea GeForce 8600 GT - software upgraded.

Premiere Upgraded immediately.

Windows Vista 32 Bit; Upgraded Serivce Pack 2

Uploading from Sony DCR PC5 Camcorder using Firewire.

Everything works fine for a few minutes and then uploading stops and it states that system malfunctioning.

Error Message reads [..\Src\Filemanager\FilemanagerImpl.cpp-94]

After that nothing in Premier Works and program has to be closed. Nothing stored in the file when reopening.

What is the problem and do you have any solutions?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Please tell us about your I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's (Hard Disk Drives), their size, speed, defragmented free-space, what type of controller they are hooked to, and how you have them allocated. Probably the biggest, most important aspect is the defragmented free-space, but the other specs. are important too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, because you are on the lower end of the real world system minimums, you should ensure you've got Vista optimized for video editing so that you're not wasting resources on stuff like the Sidebar and Aero interface.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415316?tstart=30

Then, how much free, defragmented space is on your C drive? You'll need at least 20-30 gigabytes, freshly defragmented.

Are you editing the video on your C drive or to a second or external hard drive? If so, is that drive formatted NTFS?

It's also possible that, since your computer is a couple of years old, you may be getting bogged down with tmp files and spyware. A good cleaning will put ***** back into the machine.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390602?tstart=30

Also, which antivirus program are you using? Norton and McAfee can often intrude on video editing. In my books, I recommend either Avast! Free Edition or Microsoft Security Essentials, which is also free.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
              thedogs2 Level 1

Thank you for advice.

I have the following additional informations:

70 GB free space. ATA hard Drive. NTFS. Recently defragmented. (2 % fragmented currently)

Using Norton antivirus but I can try others recommended

I will follow the rest of the instructions and see what happens

GSO

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing

Replacing Norton can make a significant difference in your performance. But I recommend you use this excellent tool to ensure you've removed it completely.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/Norton-Removal-Tool.shtml

But don't forget to optimize Vista too!

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                  thedogs2 Level 1

I have done everything you advised, including removing Norton, Defragmenting, etc etc. Same thing still happens.

Are there any other suggestions other than going back to old Adobe program (Premier 3!), which worked like a charm, or purchasing a new computer and if so how fast a prcessor, amount of Ram etc.

Maybe I should buy a Mac and use their software!!!!

Thanks for previous advice or any new suggestions

GSO

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing

Yes, that would be one solution.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                      nealeh Level 5

Here are some general points you should work through:

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.9 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
                      • Run Disk Cleanup.
                      • Run Defragmenter.
                      • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                        jeffgedgaud Level 1

If you are interested in video editing and do not want to spend the money for a new system I would try a different program, Cyberlink's Power Director is good and should work fine on your system as well as Corel's Digital Studio. I have used both software programs and can recommend them if you're having too many problems with Adobe's offering and both have trial versions to make sure they work on your system before a purchase.

I have reviewed Elements 8 and 9 and found too many bugs in the viedo editor program Premiere Element to recommend it.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                          thedogs2 Level 1

Thank you for feedback. For the moment I will go back to earlier Premiere version until some bugs in 9 are worked out and until have a new computer. I have tried the other options so far recommended and for some reason they have not worked

GSO

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                            jeffgedgaud Level 1

The problem here is that you may be waiting a long time till the bugs get worked out, like the next edition. I have reviewed

Premiere Elements 8 and 9 as well as many other Adobe programs and am very disappointed with Premiere Elements 8 and 9.

They seem to be having major difficulties with getting a stable program that can work on many different types of systems. I am sure many here, Bill and Steve for starters, will disagree but Premiere Elements should not require a computer designed for video editing in order to run the basic video editing software. According to the system requirements you only need a decent computer but many have had too many problems from Premiere Elements to consider it a fully functional and bug free program for most users. I know that there are going to always be a few who have problems with any software but when so many people find the program so unusable there has to be something wrong with the program.

I have said it here and in my latest review that Premiere Elements 9 is broken and if you can't get it working you should look to other companies for your video editing software for the lower costs versions, Corel and Cyberlink work well for me.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                              thedogs2 Level 1

Thank you for your advice. At present Premiere 9 is a bust for me

GSO

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I also agree about those "minimum system requirements" and have petitioned Adobe to up those to "real world specs.," but so far, those requests have fallen on deaf ears. Marketing is set on listing those minimums. This is not just with PrE, as we encounter those "requirements" all too often with PrPro. At least the majority of users of that program do have more computing horsepower to start.

I also agree that some other "consumer" NLE (Non Linear Editor) programs require less horsepower. While I have not tested them on a minimum standard machine, many have better luck with CyberLink's PowerDirector, and Magix MovieEdit Pro. I have both, albeit older versions, and have never had an issue - but am using them on very stout workstation. Just cannot say that they have a smaller resource footprint, but others feel that they do. Many also like the Sony Vegas products, but I have never used any, so cannot comment. I did use Pinnacle's Studio for several earlier versions, and only found one version that was stable, 9.4.3. Both Studio 10 & 11 were anything BUT stable for me, so I moved up to AVID (by then parent company of Pinnacle). It did not take long before I discovered PrPro, and never looked back. I have PrE, PowerDirector, MovieEdit Pro, and several other NLE programs, for specific work with some consumer formats. All work fine for me, but my machines are anything but mainstream, so because all work for me, is not any sort of indicator that they will for others, with less powerful machines.

Were I having issues with PrE, and had tried all the tips around this forum, I'd definitely look at the other NLE programs. I think that all have trial versions. Maybe one will suit one's needs, and will require fewer resources to operate well.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - as a side note, I have had more crashes with WMM, than all of my other NLE's combined!

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                                  thedogs2 Level 1

The responses on the forum are appreciated and emphasize the problem for someone with average computer skills but not ones that are intended to troubleshoot why a program is not working.

I agree with Mr Hunt about some other programs: Pinnacle Studio was always crashing. Premier 3 was very stable for me unless one went to make movies over 45 to 50 minutes on my computer. I will use it until I upgrade later this year.

Premiere 9 is a fairly high-powered program for the average user, so I suppose one has to accept it needs a "Current Level" average power computer and the same one that cost $ 1200 three years ago is half that price for 2 X the power. One has to accept that all electronics dates quickly. Progress is not cheap!!!

If there are any other solutions found to solving my crashing program, especially other programs that may interfere, I will try them. Otherwise it is back to Premiere 3 - and stability - for a while

GSO

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                                    PRE_help Adobe Employee

Type the text in quotes into the Start->Run bar or just press Win+R (Windows key + R) together

"%appdata%\Adobe\Premiere Elements\9.0\" Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs

Delete this file, relaunch Premiere Elements 9 and then let us know if you still see the crash.

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                                      thedogs2 Level 1

What is the basis for the last suggestion about deleting files? Is it not going to create some problem? Is this coming from a reputable source?

GSO

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                                        nealeh Level 5

PRE_help is one of the user names for Adobe staff on this forum (not clear if it is one person or a generic used by several Adobe employees). If the thought of deleting the file (which essentially restarts PRE with its original settings) worries you rename the file instead.

[EDIT] The instructions aren't entirely clear as the filename is on a separate line before the instruction of what to do with it:

1. At the run prompt enter "%appdata%\Adobe\Premiere Elements\9.0\" without the quotes
                                        2. Delete (or rename if your prefer) the file "Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs"

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

The "trashing" of the Preferences file is a way to reset those Preferences to the installation default. The Preferences file is stored outside of the PrE folder structure, and can become corrupted (same for PrPro, PS, etc.). When the Preferences file is missing, or has been Renamed, PrE (and many other Adobe programs) will regenerate it, with the installation default settings. Note: any changes that one has made with Edit>Preferences will need to be adjusted again. Also note: an uninstall/reinstall does NOT replace, overwrite or even touch the Preferences file. There are also usually keystrokes to Reset Preferences, but they seem to differ, program to program. With Photoshop, one holds down Shift+Alt+Ctrl, for the entire launch process. The user will then get a dialog screen, asking if they wish to Reset Preferences, and the answer would be "Yes." Like I said, the exact keystrokes will differ, program to program, and PS is the only Adobe program, that I am certain what they are - or I'd mention the keystrokes on launch here.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                                            VDOSurfer Level 3

The file gets recreated if not available on application launch. I can confirm that..

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                                              thedogs2 Level 1

I tried this, as you advised. Premiere crashes 15 minutes into video capture, a little bit longer than before, but not much. Once it has crashed, it says that it will try to retrieve the video I was working on, but if I try, it simply stops everything and will not close and continues trying to load something - forever. I also cannot get into any other programs and have to turn computer off manually and restart.

Going nowhere fast!!! (or maybe slow, after the number of hours I have spent trying to sort this out, following all the recommendations so far listed). I will try one more, if anyone has a new suggestion, and then I will shelve the program until they fix the bugs or I get a new computer, which I do not need for anything else!!!

GSO

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                                                VDOSurfer Level 3

Maybe you could create a newer project and then try the capture. With what you said about attempting to load a previous project etc, what you could be trying is to load a project that has already got corrupted (how? let Adobe figure that out...) So delete preferences again, load a new project, capture and hope this time it saves to your HDD correctly.

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                                                  thedogs2 Level 1

That is what I did.

I will, however, try a new tape - one used for a previous video - in case, for soem weird reason, this is a digital tape problem

GSO

• 22. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                                                    cattsy22 Level 1

I have also recently bought Premiere Elements 9, which I was hoping to use on my 5 yr old PC with a Pentium 4 3,2 Ghz CPU and only 1Gb of RAM. Of course it has been crashing but this thread has been really helpful and I will rather try a simpler program as suggested. The links and discussions on being Clean, Lean & Mean; Windows Editing and Virtual Memory have all been useful and worth the time spent reading.

Thanks.

• 23. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Glad that the articles helped.

Some times, going with a less demanding program is the answer, especially with older computers. Though I use them, not so much for editing, as for handling some odd material, I have had good luck with both CyberLink's PowerDirector and Magix MovieEdit Pro (though both are older versions). They seem fairly stable, but I do run them on a video-editing workstation, so that might not hold with a marginal system. Still, others do like those two programs, and recommend them highly.

One of the problems is that as hardware, and OS's are improved, most software companies add more to their NLE (Non Linear Editor) programs, to exploit the newer hardware. It does not take too long, before a computer is almost obsolete. In those cases, if one has an older NLE program, from the time that the computer was new. Finding older versions of NLE software is not easy, once newer versions have been released.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 24. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                                                        thedogs2 Level 1

This is a follow-up to my initial problems. I have spent four or five hours with Adobe Support representatives. They say that the problem is probably not hardware but a software conflict. So far, they have not identified it and they looked through what was on this forum as well. They have been very gracious and tried different things, but still no solution. Apparently it has been referred to supervisors. I will have to see if anyone finds a simple solution. I will try one more time to contact them before going six steps back to Adobe Premier 3, which worked well on my computer. It offers most of what I need anyway

GSO

• 25. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                                                          dan3430 Level 1

I didn't see a post about this anywhere else so I thought I'd tag it on here since it's the same error message. I'm getting it in Premier Pro CS5 when importing files from bridge. I'm editing DSLR video files... I'll pull in a batch of 20 or so clips and edit them on a sequence and it will work fine. When I go back to bridge to import in a second batch of files I crash with this error src\filemanager\filemanagerimpl.cpp-94  I have plenty of free clean harddrive space... might be low on ram with 6gb... running windows 7 64x

Curious to see if Adobe's solution for elements will work for me as well!

• 26. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                                                            thedogs2 Level 1

I have had a number of sessions with Adobe Support staff. The most recent one was with a snior support member and he was starting to use Windows Debugging to get a record of the event. As is so often the case, the problem did not occur the same way. I had tested it out seveal times before we had a "Chat and Review" session and it gave teh same error message and crashed. Once we were hooked up together, the error message came but the program did not crash and I could continue collecting video. The Adobe expert was not sure what the explanation was since I had not changed the configuration of my computer and he had not done anything. He thought it might be something in a Windows update.

So, without a good explanation I am temporarily fully functional if I press 'continue' when the error message occurs occurs during video download..

Other aspects of Premier Elements 9 - editing, sound, making DVD's - all seem very stable and work well.

Time will tell whether the problem with the problem reoccurs. I will give Adobe credit. They set up a return call and the senior adviser appeared to understand all aspects of the program. Pity we could not get it to misbehave when he had "Debug" set up . All their support staff were helpful and patient as Job. So am I!!!!!

GSO

• 27. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                                                              nealeh Level 5

thedogs2 wrote:

Once we were hooked up together, the error message came but the program did not crash

I always call that "washing machine syndrome". Whenever the repair man comes it won't produce its fault!

thedogs2 wrote:

The Adobe expert was not sure what the explanation was since I had not changed the configuration of my computer and he had not done anything.

But you did have debug running, which is a change. Is it still running? If so what happens if disable it?

Cheers,
                                                              --
                                                              Neale

• 28. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                                                                thedogs2 Level 1

Crashed yesterday with debug hooked up, which may give progammers opportunity to see what happened. It was nto quite the same since the first time it stopped recording and could not get out of the program, though Adobe message about a serious error occurring and it would try to recover did not appear. When I opened the computer and Premiere again and tried to see if the video would open, the computer turned off. So we will see if they can make sense of the debug message.

I suspect this is a software interaction problem, since I have Skype, Logitech Video, Norton, etc etc hooked up. But we shall see.

GSO

• 29. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                                                                  nealeh Level 5

I think it was mentioned earlier, but 2GB RAM and only 70GB free disk space is very much borderline for being able to run PRE.

A couple of thing you could try:

• Close all non-essential applications (Norton, Skype, Logitech, email programs, any other anti-spam/virus, password managers, etc...) before running PRE
                                                                  • As I understand it one of the main triggers for your fault is during video capture. As an experiment use WinDV or Exsate DV Capture Live  to do your capture. With both you can set your capture format to DV-AVI Type 2 (perfect for PRE). Both are resilient to tape glitches. The only significant differences are that WinDV doesn't let you preview sound during capture whereas Exsate does, Exsate has a tiny preview window during capture. It would then be interesting to know if you can then edit the clips painlessly in PRE.

Cheers,
                                                                  --
                                                                  Neale

• 30. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                                                                    jersnav

Thanks to all the previous posters!

I'd just like to add my 2 cents....

I upgraded from PrE 8.  8 was working on my system without any problems, or crashes.

(After a rocky start that is.  Upgrading NVidia drivers fixed initial problems.)

Now I've upgraded to PrE 9 and I'm getting regular crashes, error messages, and system memory low warnings.

System is 3.0Ghz Core2 Quad Intel with 8GB or DDR2 Ram

I have 3 SATA hard drives.  100 GB C for system and programs and dedicated 1TB video editing drive.  Several Hundres GIGs free on both.

NVidia Gforce 9500 GT in PCI Express Slot.

Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

• 31. Re: Premiere Elements 9 crashing
                                                                      dan3430 Level 1

My problem may or not be related to those of you using elements. My issues had a really easy fix. I was crashing upon import through drag and drop from bridge. By waiting an extra second or two, until the mouse cursor changed before "dropping" my items into the premier project window the crashing can be prevented.

Hope that can help someone else.

Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 18:59:43 -0700

From: forums@adobe.com

To: ithedanman@hotmail.com

Subject: Premiere Elements 9 crashing

Thanks to all the previous posters!

I'd just like to add my 2 cents....

I upgraded from PrE 8.  8 was working on my system without any problems, or crashes.

(After a rocky start that is.  Upgrading NVidia drivers fixed initial problems.)

Now I've upgraded to PrE 9 and I'm getting regular crashes, error messages, and system memory low warnings.

System is 3.0Ghz Core2 Quad Intel with 8GB or DDR2 Ram

I have 3 SATA hard drives.  100 GB C for system and programs and dedicated 1TB video editing drive.  Several Hundres GIGs free on both.

NVidia Gforce 9500 GT in PCI Express Slot.

Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

>