5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2011 10:25 AM by sailmon70

CS5 Windows import problems (ppj, avi)

cat_herd

I have the CS5 Master Collection installed on a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit laptop. I have some old Premiere 6.5 projects that I wanted to open/import.

When I first tried this, I could open the ppj files and make prproj files from them, either by double-clicking on the ppj file name or by importing the ppj in to a new prproj, but the video files within the ppj didn't import properly. Premiere Pro CS5 said, "The selected file cannot be linked because its type (video) does not match the original file's type (audio and video)." These video files are paired avi and wav files captured from mini-DV tape using Premiere 6.5 under Windows XP Pro. A sample check of one of my avi files with GSpot includes these results:

The codec section says (among other stuff)

codec: dvsd

Name: DVC/DV Video

The container section says

File length correct

DV Type 2 AVI

OpenDML (AVI v2.0)

DV Audio/Video: 748 MB (97.63%)

AVI Overhead: 18.1 MB (2.37%)

When I tried more recently, Premiere CS5 does not include ppj under "All Supported Media" in the import dialogue box. I can open Bridge from Premiere and browse to a ppj file, but when I double-click the file name, I get the error message, "File format not supported." If I try to open the ppj directly rather than import it, instead of trying to run a conversion as it did initially, Premiere CS5 gives me the welcome to Adobe Premiere Pro popup without actually doing anything w/ the ppj. I'm not sure whether a Premiere update ran between the first and more recent attempts to import ppj files, but I now have version 5.0.3.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to make this work?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: CS5 Windows import problems (ppj, avi)
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          video files are paired avi and wav files

Speculating here.

Used to be capture with Matrox created an AVI with video and a WAV for audio.  Premiere understood them as "the same clip" and treated them as such, but they were separate files on the hard drive.

Premiere Pro has never created such files, always a single AVI.  It makes me wonder if the old project "sees" the two separate files as a single file, but the newer PP can't, so it throws up the noted error message.

• 2. Re: CS5 Windows import problems (ppj, avi)
            cat_herd Level 1

JSS1138 wrote:

Used to be capture with Matrox created an AVI with video and a WAV for audio.  Premiere understood them as "the same clip" and treated them as such, but they were separate files on the hard drive.

Premiere Pro has never created such files, always a single AVI.  It makes me wonder if the old project "sees" the two separate files as a single file, but the newer PP can't, so it throws up the noted error message.

Yes, that seems to be half the problem. How do I persuade CS5 to see both halves?

The other half of the problem is that CS5 stopped seeing ppj as a supported file format. Any clues there?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: CS5 Windows import problems (ppj, avi)
              Jim_Simon Level 8

If my theory is correct, I don't know of any way to fix the issue except to edit that project in the older Premiere.

• 4. Re: CS5 Windows import problems (ppj, avi)
                cat_herd Level 1

Many thanks to Colin Brougham, who, through several exchanges, helped solve both parts of this problem. Here's the procedure that works on my system and may work on others:

1) Start Premiere Pro CS5.
                2) Click "Open Project", browse to the right folder, and type/paste the name of the ppj in the filename space and Click "Open".
                3) Choose "Skip" when it asks where the avi is.
                4) Import avi(s) and wav(s).
                5) Drag the video to each video edit in the sequence, holding Alt and Shift down before releasing the mouse; you can then do the same for the audio. What this does is replace the sequence instance and match frame to the timecode of the new clip.

• 5. Re: CS5 Windows import problems (ppj, avi)
                  sailmon70

I had the same problem with an old ppj project.

The option to import was available pbut CS5 would crash when import was invoked.

There was an error message about video filters.

Adobe help line, over the course of an hour, tried to make me believe that this was related to the 64 bit vs 32 bit issues.

Then I pointed out to them that the application was able to read the .avi file and play it if I imported it by itself without trying to import the whole project.

I also mentioned that deleting the previews made no difference.

At the end of the hour, they agreed to look at the project file. This was two weeks ago and this is the last time that I heard from them. When I ftp'ed the file to them they confirmed the following which I also told them; this is a separate problem from the import problem, but it is related to the support of this software. The automatic updates to the program cause Adobe .ppj import options to disappear from the import menu file type list. Again, they confirmed this and I had to unistall the whole package, reinstall Adobe, and not accept any updates.

I have yet to hear from Adobe on this. I suspect this is such a rare need that they feel they don't need to support it, but this being the case I think the doofs ought to take the feature out of the advertising list, or provide a stand alone utility to translate the text .ppj into a .prpj compatible project. It's not very difficult.

The most disturbing thing is that they obviously fail to do a thorough regression test prior to publishing updates. Basic features that are advertised are failing.

THE SOLUTION (for my case)

Of course, the reason I wanted to import the project was because there was aOne of the key reasons to stay with Premiere is that I am used to it and want compatibility, as the others in this post also would like.

Besides Adobe being of no help at all, I have found a workaround. As you all know the ppj file is a text file with headers in [ ] brackets. This file contained some headers which did not appear in .prpj created projects and this was due to some special effects add-ins which were bundled with the video card I installed in the old system.

By removing the special effects using the old version of Premiere installed on a 32 bit system, I was able to import all the clips with the NLE cuts as I intended, and continue from there in CS5.

I hope this is a viable workaround for some.

I do not know if Adobe plans to continue to support the import feature, but they ought to update their docs. It does not work.

Edwin