5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2011 12:32 PM by HarryPutnam

Can CS5 PP save to CS4 format

HarryPutnam Level 1

I just did install CS5 trial and have a paid version of Produciton Premium CS4 already installed as well.

I didn't realize that some people were having lots of unusual problems in doing that and just blindly installed trusting to adobe.

I haven't gotten far enough yet to experience any problems and just opened my first project by opening an existing CS4 project.

I was given the opportunity to save to a new file as CS5 format and did so.  So apparently there is no compatibility between them.

But now, I guess, any work done in the CS5 format will not be available to CS4, if I were to have to go back to CS4.

I'm thinking Adobe may have built in provision to save a project in CS4 format.  Something like AI has had in some versions.

Is there any such possibility?

• 1. Re: Can CS5 PP save to CS4 format
          Jon-M-Spear Level 4

Not that I'm aware of.  Prproj files are not usually backwards compatible.

• 2. Re: Can CS5 PP save to CS4 format
            Harm Millaard Level 7

No, but you still have the CS4 file available without the "_1" in the file name, that was added automatically when converting to CS5. It will not reflect changes made in CS5.

• 3. Re: Can CS5 PP save to CS4 format
              Colin Brougham Level 6

When I had both CS4 and CS5 installed, I was able to open *some* CS5 project files in CS4. It's certainly not a preferred or supported course of action, but it may work. Note that certain features and effects are not supported in CS4 that are available in CS5, so those would be lost.

Another option is to export your project as an AAF (File > Export > AAF). You should be able to import that into CS4, though AAF is much more basic than a PPro project file, so you'll lose a lot of things like effects, though. Depends on your tolerance for pain what you choose to do

• 4. Re: Can CS5 PP save to CS4 format
                HarryPutnam Level 1

Colin Brougham wrote:

When I had both CS4 and CS5 installed, I was able to open *some* CS5 project files in CS4. It's certainly not a preferred or supported course of action, but it may work. Note that certain features and effects are not supported in CS4 that are available in CS5, so those would be lost.

Another option is to export your project as an AAF (File > Export > AAF). You should be able to import that into CS4, though AAF is much more basic than a PPro project file, so you'll lose a lot of things like effects, though. Depends on your tolerance for pain what you choose to do

Ahh good, at least there is some hope keeping time and work spent.  My projects are pretty basic still so that may mean there is more chance of just opening them outright with CS4.... I'll try that soon.

• 5. Re: Can CS5 PP save to CS4 format
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Ahh good, at least there is some hope keeping time and work spent.  My projects are pretty basic still so that may mean there is more chance of just opening them outright with CS4.... I'll try that soon.

If they're basic, and CS4 won't open the CS5 project, AAF will probably save your bacon