8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2013 11:20 AM by sdaponte

Video cropping and zooming issue

Thrawn_007

I'm new to this product and couldn't find my specific issue (or at least didn't recognize it).

I was using downloaded video to make a simple music video (to experiment with on the trial version).  So I have the first clip in the sequence and then I add a second clip and after working with it for a few minutes notice that in the sequence viewer the video is enlarged and the sides are cropped so I'm only seeing an enlarged picture of the center.  The zoom was still on fit though.  I don't understand why the video was automatically zoomed and cropped by Premiere and when I delete the clip and put it back in it does the same.

Any insight?

The first clip in the video  was a  640 x 360  While the second video was 1280 x 720 and both had square pixels (1.0)

They were however both WMVs.

• 1. Re: Video cropping and zooming issue
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The fact that the Zoom level is set to Fit means that the view in the Program Monitor is zoomed to fit the panel, not that the clip is scaled to fit the sequence.

If your second clip is larger than the first, and you place the second clip into a sequence that is sized for the first, then you are naturally only going to see a piece (such as the cropped center in your case) unless you scale the second clip down. Or use a bigger sequence.

If you want the clip to automatically be scaled to fit the sequence, then you can turn on the Default Scale To Frame Size preference. (See this for a video explanation of that preference.)

In general, you scale with the Scale property of the Motion effect, not with the Zoom setting in the panel.

• 2. Re: Video cropping and zooming issue
            Colin Brougham Level 6

The first clip in the video  was a  640 x 360  While the second video was 1280 x 720 and both had square pixels (1.0)

There's your answer. Assuming you're using a sequence with dimensions similar to or the same as the first clip, the second clip will be cropped in the Program Monitor unless you scale it down. It's sort of like putting an 8x10 in a 3x5 frame--anything larger than 3x5 is going to get chopped off.

Did the second clip fit in the Program Monitor originally? If so, you probably have the "Default Scale to Frame Size" option set in Preferences, and then you disabled it individually for that clip.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Video cropping and zooming issue
              Thrawn_007 Level 1

Thank you very much, this does seem to be the issue.  I obviously have a lot of tinkering and video watching to do before I get used to this program.  First real advanced program I've used in a long time.  Thank you both very much.

• 4. Re: Video cropping and zooming issue
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Feel free to keep coming back with questions.

This page has some good getting-started resources.

You also might want to look into getting the Premiere Pro Classroom in a Book and/or Learn By Video DVD/book set.

• 5. Re: Video cropping and zooming issue
                  sdaponte

I am experiencing this same issue, however I am only using one video clip. The video is displaying properly in the preview, but when played the video zooms and crops into the top left quarter. The video displays properly in the Library.

I've tried rescaling the video, but it just exhibits the same behaviour in a smaller portion of the stage.

• 6. Re: Video cropping and zooming issue
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, what are the properties of your Video Clip, and also the Sequence, in which it is being used?

Did you use the New Sequence icon, and drag that Clip to it, to create a matching Sequence, or some other workflow?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Video cropping and zooming issue
                      sdaponte Level 1

Stage size: 640 x 480

Video size: 640 x 352

I tried inserting the video by a) dragging the file from the Library onto the stage, and b) using the 'insert video' button on the toolbar.

I am unfamiliar with this 'New sequence' action you're referring to. In terms of the way in which the video is being used: earlier in the presentation, there is a slide with a button 'view video', which has an action to bring the user to this slide at which the video will commence.

• 8. Re: Video cropping and zooming issue
                        sdaponte Level 1

It seems this is only an issue with the Preview while working on the project. When I published it an opened in a browser it displayed fine.
                        Thanks for you quick response Bill