6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2006 7:01 AM by dempster

CFMail and Out Of Office Notifications

KateG
      I have no idea if anything like this is even possible but I have been asked so thought I would check. An e-mail notification is sent to a person via CFMail. If the users "Out of Office" is on, is there anyway for a reponse to come back?
        • 1. Re: CFMail and Out Of Office Notifications
          Level 7
          The returned e-mails will be sent to what ever e-mail account you use to
          send the message with CFMail. If this account uses POP, you can use
          <CFPOP>, and|or third party plug ins, to programmatically access it.

KateG wrote:
          > I have no idea if anything like this is even possible but I have been asked so
          > thought I would check. An e-mail notification is sent to a person via CFMail.
          > If the users "Out of Office" is on, is there anyway for a reponse to come back?
          >
          • 2. Re: CFMail and Out Of Office Notifications
            TSB
            Yes because the out of office response would go to the email address that you put in the from atrribute of the cfMail tag.

Also be careful that the email address in the from does not have a autoresponse. I had one case where cfMail sent an email to a bogus email account so the server sent back no such email account response and the reply to was the bogus email address. Well then my clients email account sent back an autoresponse he had set up saying he would answer the email shortly. Well they bounced back and forth until his inbox was full (~9000 emails).

T
            • 3. Re: CFMail and Out Of Office Notifications
              KateG Level 1
              Thanks for the responses. I thought that would be the case so I just tested it out. If I put a DL in the from part of CFmail I do not receive an out-of-office notification. If I put my own e-mail in there I do. Can an out-of-office e-mail not go to a DL?
              • 4. Re: CFMail and Out Of Office Notifications
                Level 7
                What is a DL?

KateG wrote:
                > Thanks for the responses. I thought that would be the case so I just tested it
                > out. If I put a DL in the from part of CFmail I do not receive an
                > out-of-office notification. If I put my own e-mail in there I do. Can an
                > out-of-office e-mail not go to a DL?
                >
                • 5. Re: CFMail and Out Of Office Notifications
                  KateG Level 1
                  A distribution list
                  • 6. Re: CFMail and Out Of Office Notifications
                    dempster Level 1
                    If your mail server stores the distribution list, it should send the reply to the appropriate email addresses. If the list is restricted somehow (only owners can mail to the list), then the reply would be rejected.

If the list is something in your local address book, then it would not work.