I spent a couple of days on problems with all things Adobe. The steps I took that finally led to success were:
Uninstalled Shockwave using downloaded uninstaller
Uninstalled Flash Active X & Flash Plugin using downloaded uninstaller
Uninstalled Adobe Reader using Windows uninstaller
Ran registry clean using my security suite
Ran registry clean using the PC installed cleaner
Downloaded Adobe Reader msi using Chrome (version 10)
Ran the msi installer. It worked
Downloaded & ran the Flash Plug in installer. It worked
Downloaded & ran the Flash Active X installer. It worked
Ran Shockwave player installer from the site using IE 8. It didn't work
Ran Shockwave player installer using Chrome. It worked, but when I was at a site that needed Shockwave it had to install again. I let it and it worked.
I can't honestly say that it will continue to work or that this is what is needed for all problems, but they worked for my.
Good luck to everyone else.
Thank you for taking the time to offer a solution. The problems did come back. It turned out to be a problem with my router, which explains the corrupted download files. As soon as I replaced the router the problems were solved.