5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2011 2:06 PM by the_wine_snob

PRE9 says DNG not supported or no codec

brentr52

I have Lightroom 3.3 convert my Canon 7D raw files to DNGs on import.  When I try to drag a still photo .DNG file to my timeline it says Generic Error, File not supported or no codec is installed.

I helped a friend with CS5 and LR3.3 install PRE9 and it pulled in DNG files just fine.

Any ideas what I should look for?

Brent

• 1. Re: PRE9 says DNG not supported or no codec
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Brent,

From LR, just do a Save_As PSD. Those will Import fine.

Now, for still images, I would strongly advise to also Scale them to match our Project's Frame Size. This ARTICLE will tell you how to do that easily and semi-automatically in PS/PSE. I would assume (have not used LR, since its beta days), that LR has similar capabilities. If you need some LR-specific instructions, I would go to the Adobe LightRoom Forum. Curt Y, or Dec9, should be able to help you.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PRE9 says DNG not supported or no codec
            brentr52 Level 1

I thought about downsizing the DSLR stills to HD size.  It was only the laziness of not wanting to export from Lightroom and the desire to not have more files that stopped me.  I can make that work.  I'm used to things being compromised one way or the other on this PC.   My buddy's PC pulled in the DNG's just fine.

I agree that it will be much easier on PRE9 if it doesn't have to deal with the big DNG.  I'll get my lazy mouse clicking fingers on it.

Thanks, I'm off to experiment,

Brent

• 3. Re: PRE9 says DNG not supported or no codec
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Brent,

I am surprised that your friend's PrE supported DNG. This list of Supported Still File Formats, does not list DNG.

I use DNG as an archiving format, using the Adobe DNG Converter, but as those files are basically "Digital Negatives," have never tried to work directly with them. They are just in case Adobe (and others) drop PSD's. Ever since about PS 7.0 (about the time that DNG was released), rumors pop up, like mushrooms after a Spring rainstorm, that PSD is dead. When Adobe acquired the rights to TIFF, the rumors doubled. Still, PSD is going strong, so I have my doubts about its demise - at least not in my lifetime.

Good luck, and just let LightRoom do the heavy lifting, and output to a Scaled PSD. You should have no issues. As with all stills for Video, just be sure to do 8-bit, RGB. Two other things to consider is that Smart Objects and tiny Layers (with but a few image pixels) have caused some issues. Those are easily handled with Layers>Merge.

Hunt

• 4. Re: PRE9 says DNG not supported or no codec
                brentr52 Level 1

My mistake,  my friend does not convert to DNG on import.   It was a camera raw from his Mark IV canon that he/I drug over, not DNG.

One puzzle solved.  (I think)

Thanks for the feedback,

Brent

• 5. Re: PRE9 says DNG not supported or no codec
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, Camera RAW is another story. Those formats change, almost model to model, and that is why Adobe offers those updates to the ACR plug-in. Camera RAW, regardless of whether from a Nikon, a Canon, or other camera, will not directly Import into PrE (or PrPro), and will not directly Import into even PS - that is done through ACR's interface, and the plug-in.

From the Adobe Camera RAW plug-in, I always go to with PSD.

Good luck,

Hunt