8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2011 9:50 PM by Wrlk

After Effects CS5 Configuration Error 3

Wrlk

I'm really getting frustrated with Adobe After Effects CS5 right now. For the last month, I have been getting a message that says "Configuration Error 3, Please re-install the product". I uninstall it, then reinstall After Effects, and I still have the message. I even reconfigured my computer to try to fix the problem. It fixed it for about 2 hours then I got the message again. I tried uninstalling then used the Adobe Cleanup Tool, as recommended to me before. This did not work. I need to know how to fix this because now I have to use this for school.

My computer specs:

System Rating: 5.3

Processor: AMD Phenom(TM) 9750 Quad-Core Processor 2.40 GHz.

RAM: 8.0 GB

Graphics Card: Nvidia GForce 9800 GT

• 1. Re: After Effects CS5 Configuration Error 3
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Have you contacted Adobe Technical Support?

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/

• 2. Re: After Effects CS5 Configuration Error 3
            Wrlk Level 1

Yeah, they just basically told me the same thing I said I already did. Uninstall, reinstall, clean up tool, ect..

• 3. Re: After Effects CS5 Configuration Error 3
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Then you need to ask to have your case escalated to the next tier of installation technical support. That is the best way of getting a solution to an issue like this.

No one on this After Effects forum is going to be as suited to troubleshooting a general installation issue. We know After Effects; we don't necessarily know the installer.

• 4. Re: After Effects CS5 Configuration Error 3
                vikgupta Adobe Employee

This error is observed when some of the files, required by adobe products, are not found on the machine.

Can you check if the file pcd.db in folder <Drive>:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Adobe/Adobe PCD/ is still there or it is getting deleted due to some reason.

If the above mentioned file is there when you observe this issue, please share the log file amt3.log which will be present in user's temp (%temp%) folder.

• 5. Re: After Effects CS5 Configuration Error 3
                  Wrlk Level 1

The PCD.DB file was present. The amt3.log file has tons of text in it, should I just post it on here? Or should I look for something specific.

• 6. Re: After Effects CS5 Configuration Error 3
                    vikgupta Adobe Employee

You can post the log file here.

• 7. Re: After Effects CS5 Configuration Error 3
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I wish I knew an easy answer to your problem. I haven't had to deal with Windows errors for several years now, but back in the day when I was working primarily on Windows machines I kept a system backup of the OS in a disk image using Norton Ghost. There are also probably other backup / restore options out there that work just as well.

When I got into one of these "can't seem to solve it" scenarios, I simply restored the system OS using a good disk image from my latest clean install of just the OS and core programs. This took less than an hour and gave me a clean place to start, run the latest system updates, then install my critical apps. Once I had a clean install of my primary apps I ran another system backup using Ghost. Now you've got two clean places to bounce back to in case of a major system failure. Using the disk image you can be back up and running in about an hour no matter what happens.

The key to making this work quickly is to keep all your work on something other than the Boot drive. If you don't have a separate backup of your work then the a restore from the disk image could take much longer. Either way, it's a much better solution than spending the better part of a couple of days reformatting the boot drive and re-installing the OS and all the programs from scratch.

• 8. Re: After Effects CS5 Configuration Error 3
                        Wrlk Level 1

This problem is still going on so I hope I get replies to this still.

I have done multiple system restores, backups, and I even reformatted my entire hard drive. I took out the hard drive, put it in another computer, erased 100% of the data on the drive, put it back into my computer, and installed Windows 7 Ultimate on it. I installed After Effects CS5 and it worked fine for about 5 days. Then, again, Configuration Error 3. It has done this on Vista Premium, Vista Ultimate, Windows 7 Ultimate, and other versions of Windows 7. I even stopped installing it to the computer and went onto a different computer, and installed it directly to my external hard drive. I am getting extremely frustrated because now I have to do a serious project. I have to make a wedding video for my cousin which will require me a lot of time to do. I can't have After Effects CS5 crashing like this every week and me losing work. I really need a fix for this.