11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2011 4:33 PM by nealeh

Difficulty with ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics Card ?

longboardrod Level 1

Recently got PRE9 to do AVCHD editing from a Lumix DSLR camera with HD movie capability.  Got anew Dell Inspiron 570MT about 2 months ago.  PRE9 is not running well at all and tonight I couldnt even open a new project.  Adobe Support say the ATI Radeon 5450 Graphics Card is not compatible.  Anyone else with this problem ? Cheers.

• 1. Re: Difficulty with ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics Card ?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you sure they said that graphics card was incompatible -- and they didn't just say it wasn't supported? There is a big difference!

I'm actually surprised to hear that any ATI or nVidia card won't work with this program. It's not a terribly graphics card intensive program. In fact, I used to edit in Premiere Elements on a computer with Intel graphics which, as you know, technically means no graphics card at all!

The bigger issue may be a mismatch between your source video and your project settings. Which project settings are you using to edit that 1920x1080 AVCHD? Is there a red line above your clips when you place them on your timeline? If so, you have not selected the correct project settings, which would account for your instability and sluggish performance.

Finally, your computer specs list your processor as an AMD Athlon II X2.

I don't know my Athlon processors. Is that a quad core processor? In my books I very much recommend at least a quad core processor for editing AVCHD video.

• 2. Re: Difficulty with ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics Card ?
            longboardrod Level 1

Many thanks for the reply Steve.

Adobe Support definitely used the words 'not compatible' in thier reply.  I spoke to Dell (who I purchased the PC from in November) and they have been decent in that they are sending me another ATI graphics card that is on the Adobe PSE9 'supported device' list.  I will try this but I do have my doubts whether this is the problem.

I shoot all my AVCHD footage on 720P - not the full 1080P HD on my Panasonic Lumix GH1 digital SLR Hybrid.  I wonder is this part of the problem, not being a bespoke camcorder ? Its not listed on the supported device page.

You could well be right about the settings not being right - I will need to play around with that.  I think I got a message up saying the settings weren't right at least once.  I dont remember any red lines.  I use PAL-AVCHD-AVCHDLITE 720p50 as the setting on PSE9.

The processor is AMD Phenom II x4 830 (2.8 Ghz, 6Mb) which sounds like a quad processor - I'm SO not a techie !

PRE9 will not open at all now - just get serious error messages.

Adobe Support said quite definiteively that the ATI Radion HD 5450 was not compatible so maybe this really is the problem.  have to wait and see what happens when the ATI Radeon HD 4550 arrives. Maybe the 5450 is more of a gamer graphics card.  I have also emailed AMD for their advice.

Cheers again,

Rodney

• 3. Re: Difficulty with ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics Card ?
              jeffgedgaud Level 1

I would try a little test if you have the time. I would seriously try downloading a trial version of another video editor,Cyberlink and Corel both have free trials. If one or both of these work for you I would say it is not your system but the program. I have heard a lot of people having problems with Premiere Elements and specific systems that should be able to run the program.

• 4. Re: Difficulty with ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics Card ?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Wow! That's great Dell support, that they're sending you a new graphics card! Hope it fixes things.

We're also seeing a lot of complaints from people using AMD processors lately. I hope that's not the problem?

Meantime, I'd try shooting something in full AVCHD and see how it works with the AVCHD preset.

But you say you aren't able to open the program at all?

• 5. Re: Difficulty with ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics Card ?
                  longboardrod Level 1

Cheers for this.  I did indeed try the Corel Video Studio X3 trail version and it seems to work fine on my PC.  It is a very user friendly program to use - a lot easier for the novice than PRE9.

I might just cut my losses and go for the Corel software and leave PRE9 for now.  I have wasted so much time trying to get started with PRE9 - time I could be spending actaully video editing.

• 6. Re: Difficulty with ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics Card ?
                    longboardrod Level 1

Yeah - was very impressed with Dell Support.  The operator had to go and get it cleared with his Manager and it was very reasonable of them to do this.

• 7. Re: Difficulty with ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics Card ?
                      jeffgedgaud Level 1

If you don't need the features that Premiere Elements offers then I would just go with Corel's editor. You culd even ask Adobe for your money back and explain to them as well as reference these posts to help you. Adobe might give you a refund.

• 8. Re: Difficulty with ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics Card ?
                        filmspule2 Level 1

Hi longboardrod,

I also have the same problems getting startet with my PRE9. my other Video-Program runs supersoft and very well on my new system (also a DELL, graphic card: ATI Radeon HD5470) and my decision to stop trying is the same. If Adobe produces inconvenient programs we as users should leave them and use other, better products instead.

Have a nice time with Corel (I chose Magix Video deluxe, where also support is much better!),

Angelika

• 9. Re: Difficulty with ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics Card ?
                          longboardrod Level 1

Thanks Angelika - I think you are right.  The Corel software worked fine so I might just get that and make movies.

As you say - why can't a powerhouse like Adobe make a video editing program that works easily on all computers.

I previously ttried running PRE9 on a fairly decent HP laptop and as you guessed: problems.  Only worked once I think.  Rest of the time errors and crashes and reboots.

Bye,

Rodney

• 10. Re: Difficulty with ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics Card ?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            why can't a powerhouse like Adobe make a video editing program that works easily on all computers.

Well, unfortunately, there are probably only a few million possible configurations of computers, and that is just on the personal use end of PC's. Lot of configurations to test on.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Difficulty with ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics Card ?
                              nealeh Level 5

longboardrod wrote:

Got anew Dell Inspiron 570MT about 2 months ago.

If Dell USA is the same as Dell UK they supply their machines with McAfee Anti-virus installed. There have been many many cases on these forums where McAfee has brought PRE down. This may not be your problem but its definitely worth trying PRE with McAfee disabled - many have found that cures their PRE9 problem.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children