19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2013 6:23 PM by Lisq3 Branched to a new discussion.

adl.exe has stopped working message

Kristin95762 Level 1

This is very frustrating because I'm new to Flex 4 (Win 7, 32 bit) and everything I read has not led me to a solution (at least something I understand).

Every time I test my app I get the message adl.exe has stopped working and I have to close the file.

I'm running the current version of Air (2.5). But the adl.exe is version 1.5.3.

Is there a conflict?

• 1. Re: adl.exe has stopped working message
          Kristin95762 Level 1

this is an update to my original post:

These are the details of the crash

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: adl.exe

Application Version: 1.5.3.9120

Application Timestamp: 4b06f734

Fault Module Name: Adobe AIR.dll

Fault Module Version: 1.5.3.9120

Fault Module Timestamp: 4b06f6c8

Exception Code: c0000090

Exception Offset: 000ba201

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

• 2. Re: adl.exe has stopped working message
            chris.campbell Adobe Employee

Hi,

Tool are you using to develop in?  Flash Builder, Flash CS5, or something else?  I'll assume that you're using Flash Builder.  I am suspicous that something is incorrectly configured with the references to 1.5.3.  You might want to check out this video for instructions on overlaying AIR 2.5 and adding it to Flash Builder.

Once you're sure you have it overlaid properly, please check the flex compiler preferences for your project to verify it's pointing at the proper SDK.

Finally, I'm attaching a small application that will output which versions of AIR and Flash Player you are currently running.  You might want to give that a try and see what it reports.

Thanks,

Chris

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: adl.exe has stopped working message
              Kristin95762 Level 1

helpful answer but...

The video is so small I'm having trouble seeing the name of the file folder you're clicking on. I have two folders in my Flex Builder 4 sdk file folder: 3.5.0 and 4.0. I can't tell, but is that an AIR folder that's being selected for backup in the video, or something else? Is it a Flex folder? because I don't have a Flex sdk folder in the sdk folder.

What did you rename the folder to?

So, to rephrase:

You're backing up what folder, because I don't have that folder.

Then you install the AIR sdk into that folder.

I think I could get everything else if I just knew what that folder was.

• 4. Re: adl.exe has stopped working message
                Kristin95762 Level 1

Okay, I'm just wingin' it because I couldn't exactly see the folder names in the vid.

I ran the AIR metrics app and it indicates:

AIR runtime 2.5.0.1660

Flash Version 10,1,85,3

OS XP

I tested my app and I got this error:

VerifyError: Error #1014: Class IIMEClient could not be found.

at flash.display::MovieClip/nextFrame()

at mx.managers::SystemManager/deferredNextFrame()[E:\dev\4.0.0\frameworks\projects\framework \src\mx\managers\SystemManager.as:267]

at mx.managers::SystemManager/preloader_preloaderDocFrameReadyHandler()[E:\dev\4.0.0\framewo rks\projects\framework\src\mx\managers\SystemManager.as:2460]

at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()

at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()

at mx.preloaders::Preloader/timerHandler()[E:\dev\4.0.0\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx \preloaders\Preloader.as:488]

at flash.utils::Timer/_timerDispatch()

at flash.utils::Timer/tick()

• 5. Re: adl.exe has stopped working message
                  Kristin95762 Level 1

Sorry, and another thing.

Since I didn't know what folder you were installing the AIR sdk in, I picked my 4.0 folder, and copied and replaced everything in there.

I probably screwed it all up didn't I?

• 6. Re: adl.exe has stopped working message

I'm sorry about the small video window.  It's the first time I've posted a video in a post and I wasn't quite sure how it would turn out.  I actually did record this in HD, but it requires that you click the video again to have it open in YouTube, at which point you can change the video to 720p and go full screen.  Maybe using a link like this would have helped:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=0xCkSWKSzqY&vq=hd720

Either way, I think you're getting closer.  In my example, I used the Flex 4.1 sdk but you should be ok with 4.0.  Check out your application descriptor XML and make sure that the application take references 2.5, not 1.5.3.

<application xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/air/application/2.5">

If that doesn't work, please feel free to email me your project, I'd be more than happy to take a look and see if I can spot anything.

Thanks,

Chris

• 7. Re: adl.exe has stopped working message
                      Kristin95762 Level 1

Yay, that did it!

Copied the Flex 4.1 sdk to the sdk directory, then reapplied the instructions in the video (after watching it on Youtube where I could see it) and now it works!

Fantastic.

You must know how frustrating it can be when you're new to something and it blows up.

Flash Builder had been working fine, then all of a sudden it stopped. Probably had something to do with a Flash Player installation I imagine.

You are a Superhero.

Kristin

• 8. Re: adl.exe has stopped working message

Hi Kristin,

Glad you got it working!  I totally understand how frustrating it can be.  Hopefully we'll come up with a more streamlined and automated solution in the future.

Chris

• 9. Re: adl.exe has stopped working message
                          kabalweg Level 1

Hi,

Even that causes the crash. Below is was I ran and crashed ADL:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4.6\sdks\4.6.0\bin\adl.exe"  -profile mobileDevice -screensize 320x460:320x480 MobileTest-app.xml

--

kabalweg

• 10. Re: adl.exe has stopped working message
                            dr_lofstrand

Hi,

I also have the exact same problem. It all started with the 4.6 flex sdk.

I've tried the solutions you've mentioned in this thread, but no success.

I even reinstalled win7 today and tried it on a clean computer, but still the same result "adobe air debug launcher has stopped working".

Any progress in this issue?

Thanks

Daniel

• 11. Re: adl.exe has stopped working message

Hello everyone,

In the past we've received a few crash dumps for this issue but the call stacks have been less than helpful.  I've got an alternate way for the crash dumps to be created and I'm hoping someone can help me out.  Here's all you need to do:

1. Download the two attached files: Enable Crash Logging.reg and Disable Crash Logging.reg.
                              2. Double-click the Enable Crash Logging.reg file and allow it to write to your registry
                              3. Recreate the ADL crash
                              4. After the crash, open a file browser window and type the following in the navigation bar:%localappdata%
                              5. Go into the CrashDump folder and you should see a new .dmp file for ADL.
                              6. Zip that file up and send it to ccampbel@adobe.com or give me a dropbox link and hopefully we'll get better info than our previous attempts
                              7. Optional, double-click the Disable Crash Logging.reg file downloaded in Step 1 and click OK to disable future logging.  Note that enabling will only save 5 crash logs before it starts deleting older ones.  This step turns this functionality off completely.

Thanks,
                              Chris

• 12. Re: adl.exe has stopped working message
                                Naresh_Reddy Level 1

Hello Chris

I generated those dmp files in CrashDump, those were of size 150MB each, I couldn't pass those to you by mail.

Any alternative way ??

Thanks

Naresh

• 13. Re: adl.exe has stopped working message

Hi Naresh,

Most people use dropbox for large files.

Chris

• 14. Re: adl.exe has stopped working message
                                    Naresh_Reddy Level 1

Hey Chris

I am providing following Links please take a look into these.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62459973/UCClient.exe.5080.dmp

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62459973/UCClient.exe.5156.dmp

If you need anything let me know.

Thanks

Naresh

• 15. Re: adl.exe has stopped working message

Thank you Naresh.  Downloading now...

Chris

• 16. Re: adl.exe has stopped working message
                                        Naresh_Reddy Level 1

Chris

Did you get any update on this issue.Can you please kindly let me know if you find anything to fix this Issue.

Any help from my dmp files ? Let me know if you need anything.

Thanks

Naresh.

• 17. Re: adl.exe has stopped working message

Hi Naresh,

Thanks again for supplying the crash dmp.  Your's had a stack trace that looked promising.  The bug (3070976) is still Open/ToFix and currently slated for our Cyril (AIR 3.3) release.  If I find additional info, I'll post back otherwise please feel free to ping me for updates anytime.

Chris

• 18. Re: adl.exe has stopped working message
                                            Riccardo Moschetti Level 1

I am experiencing a conflict between flash builder's AIR sdk and flash professional's.

I had Flash Builder 4.6 with 3.1AIR

Then I installed Flash Professional CS6 (which apparently comes with Air 3.2 and overwrites some variables and registry common to FB).

This was the death of fb 4.6. Re-installing, upgrading AIR's references in FB did not work: always AIR launchpad crash at "Run".

I had to create a new windows user and reinstall FB on that.

• 19. Re: adl.exe has stopped working message
                                              Lisq3

Hello, I have a question - where can I find those .dmp files? I wrote bar:%localappdata% and c:%localappdata% but it couldn't open anything. I tried to find "CrashDump" folder everywhere but I couldn't find it.

I have problems with Adobe Air - it crashes after League of Legends game.