15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2011 6:56 PM by marcorabellini

Quiting Adobe

marcorabellini

I have been suffering with your products for probably 15 years now and enough is enough. When I need your products to perform they frequently fail as deadlines get closer. Tonight I was changing a keyframe in AE from linear to hold and it crashed my machine...twice. Once right after a restart. I have experienced this and many other little nagging issues over and over again on many different machines over the years and with many "this is the best, most stable, most powerful ever" updates. I am not buying any more Adobe things. I am searching for a new solution. So long.

m

• 1. Re: Quiting Adobe
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Good luck, but if you are into motion graphics, you won't find any - that is unless you consider tools like Magix or FXHome "professional" or wanna do all your compositing in editing programs. If you are into serious compositing, of course you can go Nuke, but I'm reasonably, no matter where you look...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Quiting Adobe
            marcorabellini Level 1

Yes, it's a conundrum. I have been using AE so long and have so much time and money invested in it. But it seems to know when a deadline is up and starts to really get all finiky and buggy. I don't know what that is. Maybe I'm pushing it too much at those moments. It's supremely frustrating. It seems like such a bad memory handler when pushed.

I did find some work arounds. I was getting a "PPro..." something error. I found a thing that said to import the old file into a new file, copy the old timeline into a new timeline, and clear the cache. I cleared the cache with AE and also by going to the cache folder and emptying out anything that was left. Seems to have somewhat taken care of my immediate need, but this gets old after 6 major versions.

m

• 3. Re: Quiting Adobe
              but I'm reasonably, no matter where you look...

Oops, that should have been "but I'm reasonably sure, you will be just as frustrated by your first crash there. No matter where you look you will find other problems. Software is just imperfect" dunno why it got truncated... Sorry.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Quiting Adobe
                but this gets old after 6 major versions.

Well, when does it not? Don't misunderstand me - I certainly won't make an apology for Adobe. Some of their software is just old and atrocious, but the grass is not necessarily greener elsewhere. You also have to give some credit to the fact that there's a new format coming out every half year and ultimately the hunt for maximum compatibility is tying up resources that could otherwise be spent to truly do meaningful things. Still, I feel that AE isn't that bad. Contrary to to e.g. the half-baked 3D stuff in Photoshop, AE has mostly added meaningful and useful stuff over the years, be it text animators, shape layers, 64bit or the inclusion of one or the other third-party plug-in. I don't think that is all too bad. It's just that it feels inconsistent and that the overall performance still kinda sucks plus of course those inexplicable "gremlins" like you had to suffer. If the AE team can sort out these annoyances one of those days, then it would be even better...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Quiting Adobe
                  Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Sorry you've been having troubles.  Unfortunately, computer software is an imperfect beast at the best of times.  I'll bet just about everyone here has lost a Word document or an Excel spreadsheet at some point over the years, and usually at the worst possible moment.  For something so complex as After Effects, one must unfortunately live with the fact that sometimes things go wrong.

As Mylenium has explained, the real-world alternatives for video compositing are few and far between, and may potentially cost a small fortune.

After Effects is by far the most common video compositing tool on Earth, and works very successfully in many thousands of professional production facilities.  If you'd care to post more details about your hardware and software, perhaps we can make some productive suggestions to stabilise your rig.

Have you considered a platform change, ie Mac to Windows, or vice versa?  How complex is the work you are doing?  What formats of source material are you using?

• 6. Re: Quiting Adobe
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you're having trouble, the first thing to do is make sure that you've applied the most recent updates.

I notice that the first time that you came to this forum was to post this message about not using Adobe software anymore. I think that you'll find that if you bring your issues to this forum, then there's a good chance that folks here will help you to solve or get around the problems.

• 7. Re: Quiting Adobe
                      bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

I've been using After Effects since it was CoSA. I love After Effects but I've only ever used the other applications in the suite briefly. I have not experience with Premiere, Flash, Encore, or the rest of the package.

Funny, I've never once, not once, thought of abandoning Adobe or After Effects for, say, Apple's FCP and Motion. I simply must have both sets of apps to do my job.

bogiesan

• 8. Re: Quitting Adobe
                        Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I agree with the previous posters. I would not imagine leaving AE for any other suite. It has its problems, sure, but considering how complicated it is and how many different formats it works with, it's surprisingly stable. As others have mentioned, perhaps there's something with your system that can be fixed. It's rare for someone to have the amount of trouble you appear to have.

Also, this is a user-to-user forum; yelling at Adobe here isn't going to do a lot of good as any Adobe employees you see here are here on their free time. It's like coming over to my house to yell at my cable company.

• 9. Re: Quiting Adobe
                          marcorabellini Level 1

Thanks guys. I agree with everything. Software isn't perfect and there aren't a whole lot of alternatives out there. However, with After Effects, I feel like a Formula 1 race car driver who has been racing for 15 years with cars my mechanics always say is better than the last one. Then in the final laps the same types of issues cause the car to sputter and die right as I'm approaching the finish line. Over and over and over again. I started on AE with version 4.x and have had these deadline problems as far back as I can remember. So when I've been plugging away with little sleep in 3 or 4 days and the software poops out the night before it is very frustrating. Especially with CS5 which is supposed to be 64-bit and was supposed to have been worked on for memory and asset management issues.

Really it's mostly AE that causes me to want to only speak in colorful obscenities at the top of my lungs. It's still happening. I've cleared my cache, optimized my drives, done numerous restarts, etc. It's really bad that this software consistently fails in the final moments. I had a deadline at noon that I've been at for a week solid and in these last 18 hours I have been hobbled by After Effects once again. It is absolute madness that I don't find something else and keep sending Adobe my hard earned money.

And while this may be the first time on this particular forum I have had many conversations with Adobe over the years about these exact issues and I never really get anyone who wants to REALLY do anything about it.

BTW, I'm writing this to fill a little time while I wait, yet again (hope against hope) that the "Not Responding" AE will somehow recover in a few minutes here. I've been trouble free for about a whole hour up till now.

Oh, now the faded back screen has gone completely white. Time for a kill and restart. Sigh.

m

• 10. Re: Quiting Adobe
                            marcorabellini Level 1

Just did a "check for updates" and it killed AE again.

• 11. Re: Quiting Adobe
                              marcorabellini Level 1

Okay. I may be onto something. I have removed all unused 3rd party plugins. I don't use too many third party plugins but there are a few that I use all the time. I only need Trapcode Particular for this job and left that one in. So far so good. Fingers crossed.

m

• 12. Re: Quiting Adobe
                                marcorabellini Level 1

And thanks for "holding my duck" on this. I appreciate the feedback. It sometimes helps to vent. I did not mean to upset anyone but I haven't had any sleep and I thought I was doing a pretty good job of holding back. I have been reprimanded for unsavory language by Adobe before. I tried to be as nice as I could last night. Anyway, I hope it's a plugin problem. I don't understand why at the last second this happens to me all the time, but maybe the more demanding I am with AE the more it or plugins temd to fail and I tend to go pretty big toward the end of a project. I just wish I didn't have these consistent issues. It's been consistent over the years and with Macs and PCs and small machines to giant workstations. Frustrating. Anyway, thanks for listening.

m

• 13. Re: Quiting Adobe
                                  marcorabellini Level 1

Since I have now calmed a bit I have noticed a few things. AE seems to like to be the only allowed to play on the video card. When I have Premiere or my 3D software open AE gets all "crashy" on me.

I don't know if this is a general incompatability with my card (Quadro FX 4800) or with the Nvidia drivers (I'm running 266.35).

Since this problem has happened over the years on other video cards, I don't think it's necessarily a video card/driver problem, but if anyone has any insight into any problems with this card or driver, please let me know.

Thanks,m

• 14. Re: Quiting Adobe
                                    Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Have you tried disabling OpenGL in AE altogether?  If not, do so by moving the OpenGL plugin out of After Effects to a temporary storage location.

This will leave After Effects entirely CPU-based, thus entirely non-dependent on your video card.

Also note that some After Effects plugins, such as Magic Bullet, 3D Invigorator and Optical Flares, are reliant on the display card for processing.  Avoid any such plugins while doing your tests.

• 15. Re: Quiting Adobe
                                      marcorabellini Level 1

Yes, I've been running without the OpenGL plugin few a few days now.

It's so weird. It's very consistent in AE and if I have one of those two other programs open it definitely happens a lot.

I've been running Premiere Pro and my 3D software (without opening AE) and also with prgrams like Photoshop, Word, Flash, Illustrator, some smaller programs, running music out of a web browser, all at once and all with absolutely no trouble.

I'll keep experimenting with different AE settings and plugin combos and see if I can find it. But I did try running it with only the default plugins a few days back and it still did the crash thing.

Any thoughts on the XML writing preferences?

m