• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Files in the !SSL!/WebHelp/whxdata directory.

Jan 10, 2011 Jan 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp 8.0.2.2.208

Webhelp

Hi all,

In the ~/!SSL!/WebHelp/whxdata directory we have a load of package files - package_0.xml up to package_115.xml.

It seems that one, package_27.xml, imparticularly, is causing AVG to show a threat warning.

Anybody know what these files are and what they're for?

Jac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what the files are for as their content in meaningless to humans. They are normal albeit the number seems high.

Try generating to a new folder and see if you get the same high number and the warning.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks. Yes, I've tried that. We have 5 projects and all have the same issue and around the same number of files. I've backtracked until Jan 2010 and it is the same. Do you have these files too?

Jac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that's why I said they were normal. What is different is that I don't run up to the same numbers but that is probably because my content is split into merged projects.

Files in WH* folders do get split in different ways so if you have always had that sort of number and no problems, I wouldn't think you have anything to worry about. AV programs do sometimes falsely report safe programs / files.

If you generated to a new folder and got those files, then you know RoboHelp created them and they will be safe. I would then just white list wh* folders in AVG.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks

Personally I believe it depends on complexity of the navigational elements. I recall back in the day when I was working with my own system for a call center, I literally had hundreds of the package files. Likely because of the extensive and heavily nested TOC structure.

One branch might look like this:

Bulletins

Hardware

** Printers

** ** Ticket Printers

** ** ** Brother

** ** ** Epson

** ** ** Genicom

** ** ** Texas Instruments

** ** ** ** ATB 1600

** ** ** ** ** Controls and Locations

** ** ** ** ** Common Problems Encountered

** ** ** ** ** ** Jams

** ** ** ** ** ** Jams in Zone A

** ** ** ** ** ** Jams in Zone B

** ** ** ** ** ** Jams in Zone C

** ** ** ** ** ** Jams in Zone D

** ** ** ** ** Configuration

** ** ** ** ** Reference

** ** ** ** Microlaser

** ** Report Printers

** PCs

** Routers

** Multiplexors

Software

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I deleted all the package files and everything appears OK. Is there any reason to not delete them?

Jac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't think they are written for no reason so I wouldn't delete them. It may not be immediately obvious that something has broken.

I have had no problems from them and I'm sure Rick would have said if they had caused him grief.

Leave well enough alone.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another thing to keep in mind is that RH continually performs load balancing inside the wh* folders, to provide better performance by retrieving only small chunks of information in the TOC, Index, Glossary, etc.

Therefore, many of those files might contain very different information each time you generate your output (it doesn't simply create a new file, it might disperse information differently, and randomly, in the existing files).

For example, adding a few topics to a TOC book might influence the size and content of dozens of wh* files both above and below that book in the TOC architecture. Whereas a small child project in a merged help, as mentioned by Peter, might have a single 1 KB whtdata0.xml file of a half-dozen entries and might simply grow with the project. Once it reaches 12-15 KB, then RH might split the content between this file and a new whtdata1.xml file.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp