10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2011 11:34 PM by KrisClean

External or Internal hard drive ?

ghizzo81

i have to edit a lot of hours of mov h264 full hd in premiere cs5 (about 1 tera)

i have a core i7 destop with

1.5 tera in C

i need more space for the editing process and i will use a second disk

is it better to use an external usb 2.0 

or a second internal unit ?

where havei to put the :

: original file

: other premiere video files and project ?

and where to put the files (which in C ? and wich D ? )

to obtain the best performances ?

thanks dudes

• 1. Re: External or Internal hard drive ?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Dude,

USB can be used for backups, nothing else.

You need at least two but better three internal SATA disks, or eSATA if you lack the room in your system.

See Adobe Forums: Generic Guideline for Disk Setup

• 2. Re: External or Internal hard drive ?
            anuraggrwl Level 2

I would suggest to use another internal unit, keep all your assets/media on one drive either C/D and change the Scratch Disks path to the second drive for performance.

Project / Project Settings / Scratch Disks.

Changing the Scratch disk path will slightly improve the performance while editing and playback it does not makes a big improvement in performance overall.

• 3. Re: External or Internal hard drive ?
              ghizzo81 Level 1

what about external USB 3.0 hard drives ?

• 4. Re: External or Internal hard drive ?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I think that you will still find the real-world data transfer rates of eSATA much better for editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: External or Internal hard drive ?
                  JaysonM-Y Level 3

By unanimous advice, it's SATA or eSATA.

• 6. Re: External or Internal hard drive ?
                    KrisClean

I recently bought a Sans Digital TowerRAID TR4UT-BP enclosure for my  in-progress new PC build.  I originally got it as a backup and media archive unit, but now I'm quite confused how to best take advantage of its capabilities. Could someone please help with the below questions?

1. Sans Digital's product webpage compares the TR4UT-BP's read/write performance using USB 3.0, eSATA and USB 2.0 connections. eSATA is shown as faster than regular USB 3.0...but the USB 3.0 "Turbo" is the fastest. I googled around a bit to get the scoop on turbo mode, but I still don't quite understand it. I believe my mobo, (ASUS Sabertooth) is compatible with Turbo mode: does it improve CS5 video editing performance?

2. If eSATA is the better way to go, the enclosure came bundled with a RocketRAID 622SD PCIe 2.0 x1 eSATA 6G card (for folks who don't have eSATA connections). Would it be better to connect the TowerRAID via the bundled card, or directly to the mobo? If it helps, the Sabertooth's eSATA controller is the JMicron JMB362 (3Gb/s).

3. The TR4UT-BP is advertised as having a true hardware RAID, with a controller built into the enclosure. I plan to do a RAID 5 with the box, using 4 1TB 7200rpm  Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C drives that came with it as a combo deal. Would I be able to use this setup for video editing, using Harm's RAID & drive guidelines? Is eSATA just as fast as SATA? The box does not do RAID 3 or 6, but if a hardware RAID is more efficient than a software one, will this box provide benefits similar to the Areca cards?

4. Last, I have a Crucial C300 128GB SATA III SSD for the OS & programs, as well as a 1TB Caviar Black SATA III and a 1.5TB Caviar Black SATA II for my build. My plan was to use these drives according to the Harm's guidelines (3 drive setup, of course), and have the TR4UT-BP for backup/archive, as mentioned above. The Sabertooth has 2 SATA III ports; I understand the C300 can truly take advantage of SATA III speeds (btw, I've read about the 128's installation issues with my mobo), and, correct me if I'm wrong, SATA III will allow the 1TB Caviar to use it's 64MB cache. All depends on the answer to #3, but what would be the most effective drive setup for my rig?

Whew, I need a drink. This is my first build, and it's quite the challenge. I really appreciate your help!

• 7. Re: External or Internal hard drive ?
                      KrisClean Level 1

Anybody? Please?

• 8. Re: External or Internal hard drive ?
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You do, of course, realize that you will only get "firm" replies from someone else who HAS the Sans Digital TowerRAID TR4UT-BP you mention, and who then reads your question?

I don't have that equipment so can't comment... and it is very likely that nobody who HAS that equipment has read your question

• 9. Re: External or Internal hard drive ?
                          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since no one seems to have experience with your components, I suggest you do some testing to find out what your highest performance configuration device is and use it.  The advantage of our PPBM5 test is that you can test it yourself and compare to the published benchmarks.  The disk intensive test is the AVI encoding test.  Have you read the suggested disk setup info that Harm suggested?

• 10. Re: External or Internal hard drive ?
                            KrisClean Level 1

i apologise very large. my uncle before help with computer question translation.

i am 13 years girl from Herzegovina. my uncle bring me to U.S.A. for dream for first woman steven spielberg. i love E.T!!

my uncle work many time buy pc superior for me. i cry he only money for building. he spend internet many weeks but not technical wizard and he choose stop now. he complain cs5 best hollywood, but must study university many years engineer using. he say creation expert must buy plug and play final cut system and start make movie same day.

he also complain angry ppl who hate him newbie. but i too warn him for grand wizard with name of injury making. uncle make him angry in other thread.

i be so sorry!!! good bye!!