2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2011 10:53 PM by Stephanomic

Export storie in xml format

Stephanomic

Hi,

I am a beginer in InDesign scripting and I want to export all stories entries in a document to an XML format file.

Please anyone can help me?

Steph

• 1. Re: Export storie in xml format
          [Jongware]-9BC6tI Level 4

It's easy to export one story to an XML file:

app.selection[0].parentStory.exportFile(ExportFormat.XML, File("/c/test.xml"));

(this will export the story your cursor is in), but exporting more than one story into the same file is a problem. It's possible to loop over all stories and export them one by one, but:

1. You need to write them to separate files (because that's how exportFile works), and

2. You cannot automatically glue them together into one file afterwards. Each XML file starts with a header, and after that ech XML file should only contain one single root object.

Depending on your exact needs, it might be possible to do the XML export "manually", i.e., opening a new file, writing the XML header and root tag, then loop over each story (adding yet another 'enclosing' tag) and each story's XMLElements and outputting them one by one.

I haven't need this before, so I cannot help you with that, but reading the Javascript Programmer Reference ought to give you some handles on this.

• 2. Re: Export storie in xml format
            Stephanomic Level 1

thanks

I've found one solution to put all storie in a collection

So, I have a problem to write in the xml out file

this is my code

// Création de l'arbre XML
            var myXmlString = "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"UTF-8\"?>";
            myXmlString += "<Index />";
            var myXml = new XML(myXmlString);
            myXml.name = myDocument.fullName.name;

and this return an error like "XML does not have a costructor"