4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2011 5:26 PM by sholmlund

PrE 9: "Gathering User Info" makes app launch glacial

sholmlund Level 1

Hi,

This is probably answered already but I couldn't find it. Is there a quick way to make PrE 9 launch faster? I need to hack a 1 minute clip down to 15 seconds and drop it in a Powerpoint.

But launching PrE 9 takes close to 10 minutes while it is "Gathering User Info".

Windows 7 Pro, Sony VAIO laptop with 2GB, Core Duo 1.86 GHz, External 750GB Seagate USB drive for video clips.

Again, all I want to do is drop a single clip on the timeline in a new project and cut it down, Having the app take 3 times as long to launch as the time required to spit something out is a bit frustrating.

If there's not a quick, easy answer, please forgive the interruption.

Steve

• 1. Re: PrE 9: "Gathering User Info" makes app launch glacial
          nealeh Level 5

There is something very wrong if it is taking ten minutes to load. Here are some general points you should work through:

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.9 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
          • Run Disk Cleanup.
          • Run Defragmenter.
          • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.

And give us some information about your clip and hardware:

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: PrE 9: "Gathering User Info" makes app launch glacial
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, the program always launches very slowly the first first time, since it's activating some components and gathering user info.

But, after the first time, it should open within a minute or two on your machine, if it's properly tuned. (With your lower end system -- plus the fact that it's a laptop --  you'll likely need to turn off some of Windows 7's extra features, like the Aero interface, per the FAQs to the right of this forum: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415316?tstart=30 )

If you're opening a project, it can take a little longer, since it needs to re-link to all of the media clips in your Project panel. If you've got lots of clips in your project, even if you aren't using them on your timeline, it will take much longer for the program to open.

Again, your system is at the lower end of the real world minimums for the program (per my books), so it may take a little longer to open and run. Particularly if you are editing hi-def or AVCHD footage (which may be out of your power range).

• 3. Re: PrE 9: "Gathering User Info" makes app launch glacial
              the_wine_snob Level 9

And, if the USB was involved in a previous Project, that will likely slow things to a crawl. USB externals are fine for archiving data, but not much else.

I am only guessing here, but if the Organizer is linked to any material on the USB, linking to those will be very slow indeed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PrE 9: "Gathering User Info" makes app launch glacial
                sholmlund Level 1

Thanks for the replies. I will investigate.

I hope to soon get a newer machine.

Steve