11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2011 6:51 AM by santumangu

cracking a PageMaker 2 file

santumangu

Between 1988 and 1993 I created a document in PageMaker version 2. Using ResEdit, I have verified that the file type is PUBF and the creator is ALD2. Adobe released a upgrade converter for PageMaker 3.x, which I tried out on the file, both in its original form and on a copy whose file type was "tweaked" to version 3 (ALB3, ALD3), no dice. I have phoned Adobe support and they have no resources for PageMaker version 2. Other suggestions?

• 1. Re: cracking a PageMaker 2 file
          Michael Gianino Level 4

What version are you using to open the file? I didn't use PM back then, but if there was a need to run an update converter to get it from version 2 to version 3, it may be that something newer than 3 might have trouble opening it. On the other hand, maybe a file that old has gone bad, and nothing will open it. Was it on a floppy? If there were a PM museum, you could open it in 2 to see if it worked, then in 3, 4, etc., until you get it to 6.5 or 7, but that's pretty wishful thinking.

• 2. Re: cracking a PageMaker 2 file
            santumangu Level 1

First I tried version 7 directly, then I tried the Adobe converter for PM files in version 3.x and up, but this is definitely version 2 according to ResEdit info. Apparently no update converter exists for PM 2 files -- probably it just happened when you opened the file with version 3, and then the existing converter would take care of it.

• 3. Re: cracking a PageMaker 2 file
              Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

Up to about a year ago, I still kept copies of old versions of PM in a G3 iBook that was my wife's first portable Mac. As I hadn't had to open any PM 7 or 6 documents for more than one year, I finally got rid of the venerable but most beautiful machine. Running on Mac 9.1, it couldn't even handle workable versions of Explorer or Netscape.

I you are lucky, John or someone else may still have copies of old PM versions and offer to give your file a try, which now I can't.

Luck.

• 4. Re: cracking a PageMaker 2 file
                BigJohnD Level 3

I think I still have a copy of PM3 somewhere, which might open a PM2 file, but I haven't got a PC capable of running PM3/Windows2.

The PM3 convertor is here, but I don't think it will opena PM2 file: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=34&platform=Windows

• 5. Re: cracking a PageMaker 2 file
                  santumangu Level 1

Indeed I can verify that the PM3 converter can't open this file, and I presume that's because the converter doesn't open PM2 rather than because the file is corrupt. Therefore only option is apparently to get a copy of PM3 running. (BTW this file was created on Mac not PC, but maybe that wouldn't matter...)

The whole saga is a teachable moment regarding file accessibility and version creep. First time I was ever locked out of my own work! Learning the hard way.

• 6. Re: cracking a PageMaker 2 file
                    BigJohnD Level 3

Creep?  PM2 must be 20 or more years old!

• 7. Re: cracking a PageMaker 2 file
                      santumangu Level 1

Ah well, time flies when you're having fun, so I hear. I guess I must have put the project on the back burner...

• 8. Re: cracking a PageMaker 2 file
                        Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Conversion in PageMaker had always to be either on the same platform or

on the same version, so it was never possible to update a file crossplatform, at least before 6.5.

• 9. Re: cracking a PageMaker 2 file
                          santumangu Level 1

Thanks and I certainly believe you, so that's the end of the matter for me. Maybe there were legitimate technical reasons for imposing such a restriction, but to a mere consumerwho should have heeded the advice of Richard Stallmannit sounds like the definition of monopolistic mentality.

Conversion in PageMaker had always to be either on the same platform or

on the same version, so it was never possible to update a file crossplatform, at least before 6.5.

• 10. Re: cracking a PageMaker 2 file
                            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You're talking about software that is the better part of 20 years old. There were nothing but technical restrictions then. This is just one of the reasons why Aldus was already in the process of killing PM and developing InDesign when Adobe bought them.

Bob

• 11. Re: cracking a PageMaker 2 file
                              santumangu Level 1

Really I intended no slight to the hardworking programmers of the day, just a mild critique of the framework of "intellectual property" which has robbed the audience of my colleague (now deceased) of her manuscript which was entrusted to me. Mosly I blame my own naivete in using proprietary tools. It's a general problem, no?

You're talking about software that is the better part of 20 years old. There were nothing but technical restrictions then.

Bob