2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2011 12:39 PM by the_wine_snob

Using Sony EX3 Files?

csgaraglino Level 1

I have PRE9 and I have Sony XDCAM Clip Browser installed. I can see the files in Clip Browser from the EX3 and they look and play great. However, I can not figure out how to get them into PRE9 so that I can add them to the timeline with my A1U and Nikon footage that I also have? For that fact, I cannot get it to import no matter what I do? I have tried the Export tool from Clip Browser, but I am forced to 4:3 aspect ratio with small sizes (720x480) or formats that PRE9 can't read; please advise what I am doing wrong? Any advise?

• 1. Re: Using Sony EX3 Files?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I do not believe that Premiere Elements is capable of working with this professional video format.Sorry.

The best solution is to edit this video with professional or pro-sumer software like Premiere Pro CS5 or Vegas Pro, per this article on the Sony site.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-hdtapelessworkflow/

• 2. Re: Using Sony EX3 Files?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As that camera offers several possible formats, all will depend on which one was chosen. If HDV (one possibility), then PrE should be able to edit that. For the rest, PrPro will handle the footage fine.

One concern, even with PrPro, is the mixing of dissimilar footage. PrPro makes it a bit easier, as one can establish Sequences (think mini-Projects within a Project), for each type of footage. One can then Nest those Sequences into a new Sequence.

If you shot in any format, but HDV, I would definitely look to another NLE, like the Vegas Pro, or PrPro, that Steve mentioned.

Good luck,

Hunt