6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2011 12:04 PM by MotionMaker

Can a flash movie exceed its document FPS settings?

MotionMaker Level 1

In particular if it is using AS tweening such as Greensock.

• 1. Re: Can a flash movie exceed its document FPS settings?
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant

WIth or without TweenMax, you can choose to use time instead of frames as the measure for the tween. I'm not that answers your question. Using time allows for much finer control of the tween.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can a flash movie exceed its document FPS settings?
            MotionMaker Level 1

Thanks.

Assuming a frame is a redraw of the animation can it exceed the FPS set in the document window? Or would we say this movie animates at a higher fps than in document window.

• 3. Re: Can a flash movie exceed its document FPS settings?
              robdillon Most Valuable Participant

I don't really understand your question. Flash's frame rate is only a metaphor for the "speed" of the timeline. The only parts that are redrawn are those that change over time. If you set the frame rate for timeline based animation at 5 or 6 fps, you will be able to see the change from frame to frame - the animation won't be smooth. Frame rates above 60 fps are usually just a waste of processor power.

If you use Actionscript to tween an object on the stage using time as the duration value, then you are completely bypassing the timeline and its frame rate.

If you set up two layers on your timeline, one layer containing a timeline based tween and a second using an Actionscript tween using frames as the duration value, and both use the same number of frames, the action of the tweens will be indistinguishable.

If you set up two layers on your timeline, one layer containing a timeline based tween and a second using an Actionscript tween using seconds as the duration value, and both use the same amount of time, the action of the tweens will also be indistinguishable.

Since any object controlled using Actionscript runs outside of the timeline, using seconds for the duration value is easier to use and gives a much finer granularity to the control.

What is it that you're trying to achieve?

• 4. Re: Can a flash movie exceed its document FPS settings?
                MotionMaker Level 1

The basic question if you look at the swf header which states FPS as say 25, that the swf will not exceed that frame rate.

I realize the timer could be set to ask for a screen redraw at a shorter interval, but I thought that would be limited to the frame rate set in the movie. Was trying to check if that is still true.

• 5. Re: Can a flash movie exceed its document FPS settings?
                  Ninarama Level 1

It depends on which version of Actionscript you use.

With AS3, it is possible to change the frameRate dynamically. You can use the stage.frameRate property to do that.

You can't set it higher than 1000 or lower than 0.1, but I wouldn't even recommend such extreme settings.

But you can't force a redraw before the next frame as far as I know, if that's what you had in mind. I also tried to do that until I found out that this was not possible.

• 6. Re: Can a flash movie exceed its document FPS settings?
                    MotionMaker Level 1

Based on that dynamic frame rate in AS3:

If you receive a swf product for integration that specified a  maximum frame rate for delivery, you cannot rely on the swf header frame rate to  know if ithe product at run time is withinthat specification maximum frame rate.

A run time tool appears to necessary to know if it exceeds the specification.