4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2011 9:52 AM by amysn_00

How can I create a drop-down menu in Catalyst?

amysn_00

Hi -

I would like to create a dropdown menu. I have seen a number of sites that explain how to use a dataset within a button (by creating a custom combo-box). That is fine, but that is only half of a dropdown. How do I then put the interactivity into each data-set item? For example, say I have a button, Ask. When the user rolls over this button, I would like a dropdown menu (e.g., a menu of questions to ask) to display. I want each menu item (each question) to be clickable, and on click something to happen (e.g, go to another state/page). I can only get so far as having the dropdown of questions display. I have tried adding buttons to the down state of the first button (Ask) (so that each question is on a button), but that does not seem to work. Ideas?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: How can I create a drop-down menu in Catalyst?
          Chris W. Griffith Adobe Community Professional

Not sure if you read my old article on this (http://insideria.com/2009/10/flash-catalyst-beta-2-combobox.html), but there is the ability to customize the interaction based on the selection. With the datalist selected, you can add an On Click interaction, then specify that the action only occur when the selected item is a certain one. One word of caution, we programmer like to start counting with 0 So the first item in you list is index 0.

Chris

• 2. Re: How can I create a drop-down menu in Catalyst?
            amysn_00 Level 1

Hi Chris -

Thank you for your reply! I had seen your article before, and just now again attempted to follow it, but I get stuck. There are two things that I'm confused by.

First off, toward the top, referring to the initial button, you say to add this interaction:

ON CLICK; Play Transition to comboBox: selected
            ON ROLL OUT; Play Transition to comboBox normal if comboBox is in over state
            ON ROLL OVER; Play Transition to comboBox over if comboBox is in normal

However, I do not see these transition options. When I select the button, the only interactions I have are to Play transistion to state, Play action sequence, Go to URL, and two for videos. So that's the first roadblock for me.

But, trying to get passed that, I went down to the portion of the article that refers to adding interaction to the dataset items. Again, I don't get it, as I see no way to add interaction to a dataset item. When I open my design-time data menu, I do see the items, and am able to rename each item, add additional rows, and change the shape of the datalist layout. However, I see no way to add an interaction to a dataset item. I must be missing a step ... Can you help with this?

Again, thank you!

Amy

• 3. Re: How can I create a drop-down menu in Catalyst?
              Chris W. Griffith Adobe Community Professional

Sorry for the delay...

You would use the Play Transition To State option. Pick that option, then a new drop down list will appear that will have all the available states listed. Once you pick the state, the menu will update.

What I listed was the outcome of the setting.

As for the datalist, you do not set the interaction within the design time panel. On your art board, select the datalist, then using the Interactions panel, then you can add the On Click interaction. Since it is a datalist, there is a new drop menu that allows you to define if the On click action occurs for any item in the list or if you want them to only occur on a specific item.

Does that help move things along?

Chris

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How can I create a drop-down menu in Catalyst?
                amysn_00 Level 1

Hi Chris -

Genius! It is working now. (Can't tell you how many places I've been and didn't get the answer to that final step.) I also learned a few additional things along the way with your tutorial, about adding roll outs, etc.

On another note, after seeing your name for a couple of days, and your photo, I finally realized that I know you! We worked together at The Lightspan Partnership - I was a content designer. Small world.

Thank you Chris! (You may hear from me yet again, as I go down this Catalyst path...)

Best,

Amy Nicholson