28 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2011 6:44 AM by Michael J Ward

Poor Quality - Pixellation

Michael J Ward Level 1

Hi All

Just started using Premiere Pro CS5.  (Used CS3 before with SD video). Getting poor quality playback on program monitor when playing timeline footage.

My new camera is a Panasonic AG-HMC81E

Record Format is AVCHD HA mode 1080/50i 17 mbps (vbr)

Recording media is SDHC Card 16GB Class 10

I copied the files from the card to my hard disk.  Files are mpeg (.MTS files)

PC Specs

Windows 7 - 64 bit

4 GB Ram

Graphics - NVidea Geforce 7300 LE 128mb DDR3

Processor - Twin Intel core 2 cpu 6300 1.86 ghz

Hard Disks - 3 on Raid 0

Premiere Project settings are for HDV and mercury engine is grayed out (i know i need a better graphics card for this to work)

General
      Editing mode: AVCHD 1080i anamorphic
      Timebase: 25.00fps

Video Settings
      Frame size: 1440h 1080v (1.3333)
      Frame rate: 25.00 frames/second
      Pixel Aspect Ratio: HD Anamorphic 1080 (1.333)
      Fields: Upper Field First

Audio Settings
      Sample rate: 48000 samples/second

Video looks great direct feed from camera to TV via HDMI cable, but looks very poor playing from timeline.

Can anyone see where i'm going wrong here?

Wrong settings?

Missing codec?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike.

• 1. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
          eddiem100 Level 1

Check a simple basic first and make sure your program monitor Playback Resolution is set at "Full".  You access it in the drop down menu in the upper right hand corner of your program monitor.

• 2. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
            Michael J Ward Level 1

Thanks eddiem100

I have checked the preview resolution, its set to max.  The output seems to be breaking up on the program monitor window,

that's why i'm wondering if its a codec/settings problem.

Have ordered a Zotac GeForce GTX 470 1280MB DDR5 PCI-E Graphics Card.

Hopefully that will get the mercury engine going.

• 3. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
              Jim_Simon Level 8

How does it look upon export?

• 4. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
                Michael J Ward Level 1

Sorry

I mean when you create a  new project, first option you get is DV or HDV project, then

i choose AVCHD 1080i

MIKE WARD

busbyvideo@hotmail.com

www.busbyvideo.co.uk

Message was edited by: Michael J Ward

• 5. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
                  Michael J Ward Level 1

Not tried that yet.  Will do and let you

know.

Jim Simon

I mean when you create a  new project, first option you get is DV or HDV project, I choose HDV, then
                  I choose AVCHD 1080i.  Is that the correct way to set up project?

Thanks

Message was edited by: Michael J Ward

• 6. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
                    anuraggrwl Level 2

I would suggest that insted of selecting the sequence at the time of launch let the premiere launch without sequence, then import the footage and drag it on the new item button this will automatically create a sequence to mach your footage. you can then go to interpret footage setting and check if the fields and aspect ratio has been interpreted properly. Because you have not applied any effect, transition or scaling i dont think Gpu will make a big diffrence in playback at this time. Make sure no other application is running in background so that premiere can use maximum system resources.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
                      Michael J Ward Level 1

Sorry

I'm confused.  How do you run premiere without choosing a project setting at the start.

• 8. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
                        Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How do you run premiere without choosing a project setting at the start.

The big jump from CS3 to CS4 was being able to create different sequence settings in the same project.  In CS4 and CS5, you choose project setting (general issues that do not define a sequence) and then a sequence.  But you can cancel the sequence setting window and Premiere will open.

Creating a matching sequence by dragging an asset to the new item icon is a very cool new feature in CS5.

I went from CS3 to CS4 (but very briefly) and then on to CS5.  I like it very much.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
                          Michael J Ward Level 1

Thanks

I'll give that a try.

• 10. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
                            Michael J Ward Level 1

Thanks

I'll try interpret footage tonight.

• 11. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
                              anuraggrwl Level 2

Interpret footage settings are only to cross check that the interlacing, framerate and pixel aspect ratio has been properly interpreted, I have seen very few instances were the footage has been interpreted wrongly and in those senerios we can change the settings manually.

Real time playback depends on the available system resources, in some cases the playback breaks due to not sufficient system resources, you can also check the playback by rendering the timeline (Ram preview).

• 12. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

you can also check the playback by rendering the timeline (Ram preview).

It's not actually a RAM preview in Premiere Pro.  Render creates a new file on the hard drive with effects and such "burned in", and that is new file used for playback.  The difference is that with a RAM preview, it's temporary.  A render is permanent.

• 13. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
                                  Michael J Ward Level 1

Hi All

Clip on timeline has yellow line above it.  After rendering it has green line above it and the quality is much improved.

Imported clip and tried MODIFY/INTERPRET FOOTAGE.

This says that my clips are SQUARE PIXELS.  I thought i should be using the 1080i anamorphic setting

as im shooting in 16/9 widescreen.

File Properties says

File Path: D:\AVCHD\BDMV\STREAM\00000.MTS
                                  Type: MPEG Movie
                                  File Size: 23.9 MB
                                  Image Size: 1920 x 1080
                                  Pixel Depth: 32
                                  Frame Rate: 25.00
                                  Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo
                                  Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
                                  Total Duration: 00:00:12:12
                                  Average Data Rate: 1.9 MB / second
                                  Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

Sorry to keep asking, and not trying to sound silly, but am i using the correct project settings for this file type.

I'm currently using: -

Editing Mode - AVCHD 1080i Square Pixel

Timebase - 25 frames

Frame size - 1920 X 1080 Widescreen 16 x 9

Pixel aspect ratio - Square pixels (1.0)

Fields - Upper field first

Video Previews

Preview - I-Frame only MPEG

Codec - MPEG I-Frame

Width - 1920

Hight - 1080

Thanks for all your help so far.

Perhaps poor quality is down to slow hardware as looks much better after rendering.

As long as i know i am using the correct settings i can update any hardware as required.

Mike Ward

• 14. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
                                    Michael J Ward Level 1

Thanks.

Changing Playback Resolution does

make a difference to the quality, especially looking at horizontal / vertical lines.

• 15. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
                                      Michael J Ward Level 1

OOOPS

Sorry i'm new to the forum.  Didnt meant to click ANSWERED.

Still wanting to check if i'm using the correct project / sequence settings if anyone can advise.

Thanks

• 16. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Michael,

Most subscribers here do not really monitor the "answered" aspect, when working with someone on a problem. I feel that is more for the person, who comes to a thread with the same problem, and upon seeing that icon, will feel that the answer IS contained within.

Most of us will still drop in, to see how it's going and to offer something, if possible. Don't worry about it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
                                          Michael J Ward Level 1

Thanks Bill

Rendering the timeline and viewing at full quality does make a big difference the the quality on playback.

Just wanting reasurance that i'm using the correct settings in the project / sequence.

In CS3 red line above files meant that project settings and files were of different types.  I'm getting a yellow line

which i assume means that the settings are correct.  Yes?

Thanks

• 18. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

The yellow line is telling you that something does match 100%, but should not affect playback. Just a guess on my part would be the AVCHD Preset. I'll go out on a limb and say that your MPEG's are not fully AVCHD, like the Preset. AVCHD is a sub-set of MP4 (H.264), but not all MP4's, though using the H.264 CODEC, are AVCHD.

In PrPro CS5, one can drag an Asset to the New Icon at the bottom of the Project Panel, to create a New Sequence, that matches the Asset 100%. I'd try that, and then compare the Sequence(s), that you created. I'll bet that there is a subtle difference, and that would explain the yellow line.

Good luck, and let us know how the two Sequences differ.

Hunt

• 19. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill,

The yellow line does not tell anything about matching sequence presets. It does tell that PR considers the codec as being rather difficult to handle, and depending on your system, may or may not require rendering for RT playback. The previous CS4 matching or not-matching sequences are no longer valid, since one can use multiple formats in the same sequence, like the PPBM5 test, which uses AVCHD, HDV, XDCAM-EX and DV, both in NTSC and PAL all on one time line, including 720P and 1080 material.

• 20. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

Thank you for that correction. Now I understand the yellow line better, myself.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 21. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
                                                  Michael J Ward Level 1

So yellow bar means there is a problem with settings.

Red bar also means missmatch between file type and project settings

Green means it has been rendered ( I think)

So,  if everything is ok, there should be no coloured bar present?

Thaks

Mike

• 22. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Mike,

-Media matching the sequence with a simple codec has no bar. This should play realtime.
                                                    -Media with an expensive codec, with accelerated effects, or mismatching  the sequence has a yellow bar. This will probably play realtime.
                                                    -Media with unaccelerated effects or other non-trivial software processing has a red bar. This probably will not play realtime.
                                                    -Rendered previews have a green bar.

• 23. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
                                                      anuraggrwl Level 2

When we create a sequence and bring the media on timeline if the media has the same properties (framerate, pixel aspect ratio etc) there  will be no red bar, Red bar only comes when premiere had to use cpu for scaling, effects, transitions etc.If you have GPU and you have used gpu accelerated effects, transition etc then you will see yellow bar, Green bar comes when you have rendered the timeline.

You can check which effects and transitions are GPU accelerate in effects pannel.

• 24. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
                                                        Geoff Vane Level 1

I've tried to set everything to the highest quality but I can't get any PC screen previews better than 50% resolution.

The PC screen used to be a 1:1 view of the video image quality but it's not possible to get that quality in PP CS5 with my system.

Video out is O.K., no artifacts there.

• 25. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
                                                          Michael J Ward Level 1

OK

Things are becoming clearer now.

Poor image quality during preview of timeline should not affect the output quality. Just down to low spec hardware.

Now.  Should i render all the timeline before exporting completed movie, or is that not necessary?

Thanks to all contributors.

Mike

• 26. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
                                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

No need to render. It is best not to use preview files on export, so all you achieve is extra time to render, which should not be used anyway.

• 27. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
                                                              Michael J Ward Level 1

Thank to all contributors.

Will let you all know how i get on when i get the new graphics card.

Mike

• 28. Re: Poor Quality - Pixellation
                                                                Michael J Ward Level 1

Hi Guys

Just a quick update for you guys.

Now upgraded to:-

1 Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Socket 775 Processor 2.83GHz

2x3MB Cache Quad Core

4GB kit (2GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM Upgrade for a ASUS

P5B-E System

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 470 Graphics adapter - 1.28 GB - GDDR5 SDRAM

Mercury engine working, and playback of timeline now smooth (with small project, still to check with large project).

Thanks for all your help.

Mike