4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2011 9:02 PM by sldwaa

Video Capture Question

sldwaa

I have a pretty basic question.  I have been using Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 for the past few weeks and am positive this was an excellent purchase.  It does what I need and more (I have taken several tutorials and understand basic functions fairly well).  For my old data which was recorded on Mini-DV format (the new stuff is 1080P on SSD so it does not apply for my new stuff), my basic question is will capturing in CS5 using the DV out of my old camcorder provide the "same, better or lesser" results compared to using a specialized hardware converter.  I will most likely get a response of "it depends", but would like guidance for those that have used CS5.  I have used a hardware converter in the past with OK results.

Sorry for the newbe question, but would like a quick response if anyone has time.  BTW - my PC is new build for video editing, has plenty of power and I do have mercury playback capability.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Video Capture Question
          Colin Brougham Level 6

You don't need a converter of any sort for miniDV tapes; just use a camera or deck with a Firewire/1394 output, and capture directly into Premiere. You would only need an A/D converter if you were capturing off analog tapes of some sort or another; in that case, the better analog connections it has, and the better DSP it has, the better the output will be.

• 2. Re: Video Capture Question
            sldwaa Level 1

That was the answer I was expecting.  As such, the direct firewire is as good as I will get I believe.  I also have RCA jacks on the camera, however, no matter how good the A/D converter is (if using the RCA jacks), the firewire will still be the best.  Is this also not correct?

Thanks for the response.

• 3. Re: Video Capture Question
              Colin Brougham Level 6
              I also have RCA jacks on the camera, however, no matter how good the A/D converter is (if using the RCA jacks), the firewire will still be the best.

Well, you basically have two different things there--yes, it's one camera, but you can use it to do two different things.

On one hand, if you have miniDV tapes, the Firewire is the only connection you'll use. At that point, you're not transferring video in the traditional sense, but rather you're effectively copying from the tape to your hard drive. Whatever is on the miniDV tape is the same as what you will end up with on the hard drive. The analog connections (the RCA jacks) won't be used for this process at all. So if you're talking about DV video, it's as good as it gets.

On the other hand, if you have some sort of analog tape like VHS or Hi8, you need to have an A/D converter between the tape deck and the computer--this is where the analog connections on the camera would come in to play. The basic map in this case is:

Analog deck -> RCA cable (or other analog connection) -> DV camera as an A/D converter -> 1394 cable (Firewire) -> computer

In this case, the better the analog signal is that you feed to the A/D converter, the better the captured digital video would look. Obviously, there are all sorts of variables here--playback deck, type of analog connections, quality and features of the A/D converter, and the DV codec itself--you can control some of those, and some you really can't, depending on what you have access to. If you're not dealing with analog video, though, you don't have to worry about any of this

• 4. Re: Video Capture Question
                sldwaa Level 1

Thanks for the confirmation. Firewire it is directly to PC, then CS5 for subsequent operations.