11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2012 8:45 AM by Jim_Simon

SAVE trimmed clip

BangBoomBen

Hi guys, I'm looking for a possibility to just SAVE (not rerender -> Qualtity loss) trimmed clips. It should somehow be possible to trim footage wihtout the need to rerender it (or not?). Problem is that I already have a compressed videofile and through rerender it quality gets even worse. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: SAVE trimmed clip
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Problem is that I already have a compressed videofile and through rerender it quality gets even worse.

Premiere can trim some types of media compressed with certain codecs, but usually not footage that is compressed with an interframe codec. If your footage is some sort of MPEG file, this applies.

Depending on the nature of the footage/codec, some external applications can trim files like this, but Premiere itself will not.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: SAVE trimmed clip
            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

What you seek is called Smart Rendering, and it is not possible in Premiere Pro.  MainConcept has a plug-in that will do it, but it's not cheap, nor has it been as reliable as I would like in the past.  There is a reason Pr doesn't do it, and even those NLEs and plug-ins that can do it will have issues from time-to-time when they start re-arranging the GOP structure of temporally-compressed files.

-Jeff

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: SAVE trimmed clip
              BangBoomBen Level 1

Thx for the quick reply, are there any workarounds?

• 4. Re: SAVE trimmed clip
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Convert your footage to a different codec (e.g. DV), or use a third-party application relevant to the footage you're using.

• 5. Re: SAVE trimmed clip
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

Even when implemented pretty well, there are limitations to Smart Rendering. In the OP's case, things are pretty simple (other than WHERE the Trim is made), but when one makes any change to the footage, say an Effect, any form of overlay (PiP, Title, etc.), and even adding a Transition, Smart Rendering will not be possible. Users of programs that offer Smart Rendering are always complaining that when they add an Effect, Title, or Transition, the footage does not look as good at those points. They are usually bummed out, and not so enamored with Smart Rendering, due to the limitations.

Hunt

• 6. Re: SAVE trimmed clip
                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                    In the OP's case, things are pretty simple

Even in the OP's case, things can get messy.  Smart Rendering sometimes produces dropped frames, repeated frames and out-of-order frames.  So it's not a real benefit if you end up with a pristine Purina Cat Chow-Chow-Chow dance in the middle of your footage.

-Jeff

• 7. Re: SAVE trimmed clip
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

If nothing else, the "visual" that you conjured up in my mind, was worth the price of admission!

Yes, even when things are pretty simple, the results might not be great.

Hunt

• 8. Re: SAVE trimmed clip
                        joneisele Level 1

I have the same need - to save two or three trimmed clips without exporting (ideally) to share with someone helping me debug an issue.  One point of confusion for me - the Project Manager appears to be able to save trimmed clips.  Or is the project manager rendering?  If it was the latter, I would think the user would need to be offered export settings.  

• 9. Re: SAVE trimmed clip
                          Alan Craven Level 4

The Project Manager trims where it can but as Colin noted above this is not possible with interframe codecs, such as Mpeg2, so the trimmed project turns out to be not much reduced in size.

Actually exporting the file is no big deal with a fast system.  If quality loss concerns you, then take care to export to a "lossless" codec.  Avid's free DNxHD is good, as is Lagarith, but Avid's files are large and Lagarith are huge.  This is the price you have to pay for retaining the quality of your media.

• 10. Re: SAVE trimmed clip
                            joneisele Level 1

Are typical AVI files generated from capturing minDV footage intraframe or interframe?  I did a quick Google and it looked like intraframe, but let me get some feedback here.   First time I've heard of this stuff.  I did a small experiment with Project Manager and indeed the resultant trimmed clip was far smaller thant he original, another indicator.

Assuming intraframe, any issues with using Project Manager as a workaround for me to snag a couple of trimmed clips in the native format?   I do have both Lagarith and DNxHD installed, so could consider that route, but I was trying to stick as close as possible to what I'm seeing for debuggin purposes.

So what does Project Manager do in the case of interframe - just copy over the whole clip and not trim?  Or error out? 

• 11. Re: SAVE trimmed clip
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

DV does not use temporal compression.  PP will simply "copy" any unaltered part of a DV clip in the sequence to a the new file when exporting to DV, rather than reencode.