9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2011 11:58 PM by Powered by Design RSS

What system is best for Adobe premiere pro cs4 or 5?

Jules NYC

I'm investing in a whole new system for my editing needs.  I've been working on a pc that cannot handle Adobe, even though it meets the minimum requirements.  I do personal projects like weddings and various videos, but I also do short films and hope to do a feature in the near future.

Although I'm working hard at learning Adobe, and making progress, I'm not at all computer savy.  In fact, I know very little.  I've decided to go with a MAC Desktop since the cosensus is that's the way to go.  However, I have no clue what the computer needs to ensure Adobe works well.  The salesman suggested IMAC, friends have suggested MAC PRO, and then of course there is all the specifics. 

Can anyone help me with this?  I really don't know all the specs that I am supposed to look for etc...any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.  I'm starting from scratch here and before I invest a lot of money into a new system, I really want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks so much,

Jules

• 1. Re: What system is best for Adobe premiere pro cs4 or 5?
          Harm Millaard CommunityMVP
          I've decided to go with a MAC Desktop since the cosensus is that's the way to go.

Whose consensus? The salesman?

Facts:

1. MAC's are more expensive than similarly equipped PC's.

2. MAC's are about 40% slower than similarly equipped PC's with PR.

3. MAC's have far fewer expansion capabilities than PC's.

4. MAC's miss a number of CS5 effects and transitions that are available on PC's.

5. Over 90% uses a PC, around 5 % uses a MAC, so support is easier to get for PC than MAC.

6. Current day MAC's that support CUDA MPE are hard to find or ridicuously expensive.

• 2. Re: What system is best for Adobe premiere pro cs4 or 5?
            John T Smith CommunityMVP

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to the computer I built... since the GTX 285 is no longer sold, I would now go with a GTX 460

For my home hobbyist, family movies (which means that I am not trying to recreate Star Wars with video effects or many layers) AVCHD editing is "as smooth as spreading warm butter on hot toast" (also the MP4 video from wife's Flip camera)

My 3 hard drives are configured as...
            1 - 320G WD Win7 and all programs
            2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and PPro projects
            3 - 1T WD all video files... read and write

• 3. Re: What system is best for Adobe premiere pro cs4 or 5?
              Jules NYC Community Member

To be honest Harm, editing on my PC has been a nightmare and every time I look for solutions to the many problems that I've encountered all I hear is that Windows is the problem. When I look at the troubleshooting board here there are so many unresolved issues, similar, if not identical, to the ones that I've have encountered.  So the problem is either the computer, or adobe.  I'm hoping it's the computer?  If the bulk of people have PC's then maybe the problem is PC's???  I've never used a MAC in my life so I'm not looking forward to switching...I just want the best computer I can get to work with Adobe. Trust me, no one is trying to sell me a MAC.  I just have lot's of friends in the arts and they recommend it.

All I know is that a week ago I was ripping my hair out of my head trying to export a project that took me weeks to edit and the project would not export.  I couldn't encode, I couldn't make a DVD, it kept crashing...If I'm going to spend a lot of money on a new system I want to get it right this time.  

I thought adobe had a mac version?  Is it not as good as the PC version?  Basically I can't afford to make a mistake here so...I'm asking for any advice anyone can give me to help me purchase the best computer so I can edit to the best of my ability...or at least the software's.

Jules

• 4. Re: What system is best for Adobe premiere pro cs4 or 5?
                Harm Millaard CommunityMVP

Jules,

I can understand your hesitation and frustration when a computer does not do what you expect it to do.

I have used computers a long time and known all kinds of bugs that are damn frustrating. I have used Premiere since version 6.0 and every version since, but admitted, only on PC. I never had the means or the willingness to switch over to MAC. And I'm a lucky fellow, in that my son is Microsoft Certified ... God knows what... He has about all the certificates Microsoft, HP, Cisco, Symantec and name the others ever invented. So if I can't solve it, I still have my son to fall back on.

Sure, like everybody else I occasionally have problems, but those tend to be minor and usually easily found and then solved.

My experience with CS5 has been great. It is the most stable version I have seen from Adobe. If your PC shows problems, it can be either hardware or software and looking at the myriad of questions posed on these forums, the convoluted approaches some take, the weird source material often used, the strange output devices used, it is like people expect Donald Duck not to get sick after eating a fishing net with no fish in it.

It must be telling that regulars like Baz, Bill, Bill, Colin, Eric, Graham, Jeff, Jim, and many more have no problems, at least no serious problems, but maybe that is because they are aware that you don't try to eat an empty fish net before climbing a mountain.

If you have the patience, PM me about the problems you encountered, together with the basic info like Process Explorer screen shots, DXDIAG and MSINFO. I will get back to you and try to figure out a solution.

Check what the upgrade prices with a platform change are in comparison to the same platform. I dunno, but PC - PC may be priced differently than PC - MAC. Just to be sure you know what you are entering into.

• 5. Re: What system is best for Adobe premiere pro cs4 or 5?
                  Jules NYC Community Member

Harm, thank you so much.  I would love to keep working on a PC and I really love Adobe.  I'm open to starting from scratch, and building a PC that will work beautifully with CS5 (since I would definitely want to upgrade).  My only problem is...my computer knowlege is limited and I don't know where to start or what I need.

I will PM you.   Thanks again.

Jules

• 6. Re: What system is best for Adobe premiere pro cs4 or 5?
                    Bill Gehrke CommunityMVP

Jules, for ideas on a CS5 computers look at the Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM5) results web site that Harm and I have.  With the current 182 test results you can get some general guidance on the configuration.  Apparently you have CS4 running.  I am not updating the PPBM4 site any longer but if you run that benchmark and compare your results to those posted (and forward also to Harm) you can see how your configuration compares to the rest of the results

• 7. Re: What system is best for Adobe premiere pro cs4 or 5?
                      fathergll2 Community Member

Jules Tanner wrote:

.I just want the best computer I can get to work with Adobe. Trust me, no one is trying to sell me a MAC.  I just have lot's of friends in the arts and they recommend it.

All I know is that a week ago I was ripping my hair out of my head trying to export a project that took me weeks to edit and the project would not export.  I couldn't encode, I couldn't make a DVD, it kept crashing...If I'm going to spend a lot of money on a new system I want to get it right this time.  

I thought adobe had a mac version?  Is it not as good as the PC version?  Basically I can't afford to make a mistake here so...I'm asking for any advice anyone can give me to help me purchase the best computer so I can edit to the best of my ability...or at least the software's.

Jules

Well as stated before, with  CS5 the concerns were the majority of users are PC. Im not sure on the reliability issues since i haven't looked for them.

I mean if your biggest worry in the world is reliability and you want a solution that works out of the box then you're best bet is going to probably be a Mac with Final Cut Pro. Obviously that means you will have to learn the differences with Final Cut and the Mac os but the plus side is you will be using  an entire solution thats been proven to work buy a lot more users. Thats why your art friends keep saying Mac. Its because there is a limited number of hardware models out there(Mac Mini, Mac Pro, iMac, Macbook) and everything is going to be more consistent due to the limited choices. With Premiere on the PC you are going to have hundreds of configurations out there from various manufactures like Dell, HP, Sony, custom built...etc.

Nothing wrong with the PC choice. Just be aware there are a lot more hardware variations when you go that route which can cause problems. Best bet is being informed on which models on configurations do work.Thats where Apple's strength is at

• 8. Re: What system is best for Adobe premiere pro cs4 or 5?
                        fathergll2 Community Member

Harm Millaard wrote:

I've decided to go with a MAC Desktop since the cosensus is that's the way to go.

Whose consensus? The salesman?

Facts:

1. MAC's are more expensive than similarly equipped PC's.

That is all true but just to play a little devils advocate;

1. they are more expensive in general but they are at times priced very competitively to other major manufactures if you buy them at the beginning of a product cycle http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

The Apple refurbs are also excellent computers and probably even more reliable than new ones due to the inspection process prior to selling.

Also related the other price strength is that Apple's hold their resell value. I've seen 2006 Mac Pro models go for close to $1,000 and 2008 models go for close to $1,500 on ebay. Heck even my 2007 Mac Mini which cost me $679 can still go for over $400.

5. Over 90% uses a PC, around 5 % uses a MAC, so support is easier to get for PC than MAC.

Thats true but on the flip side since there are a lot fewer Apple models and configurations than PCs, so evening googling to find a hardware conflict with a 17" Mac Book Pro i7 is going to give you a lot more consistent results than compared to finding a conflict with a Dell XPS 17". I could see that being strength with CS5 support, just being that while there are few CS5 Apple users, the vast majority of them are going to be using very similar hardware configurations which is a plus

Still I agree in the end PC is the way to go at this point in time for strictly a CS5 setup.

• 9. Re: What system is best for Adobe premiere pro cs4 or 5?