1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 11, 2011 8:38 AM by John T Smith

can someone please reccomend me a x58 mobo, GPU, RAM and a RAID card.

smallchanger

Further to a previous discussion about choosing an i7-950 over the new sandybridge, could someone please reccomend some other parts. I don't know what to look for.

Currently for MOBO's I'm looking at:

MSI Big Bang Xpower, Intel X58, ATX, DDR3, LGA1366 €285

MSI X58A-GD65, Intel X58, ATX, DDR3, LGA1366 €211

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7, Intel X58, ATX, PCI-Express €285

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, Intel X58, ATX, PCI-Express €193

There's lots of others too. I'm just not sure what I should be looking for.

If anyone could offer me adivce on the others too, ideally stocked at the same place (but not necesarily) I'd be grateful.

It's my first build and I just want to know I have all the right parts to begin with.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: can someone please reccomend me a x58 mobo, GPU, RAM and a RAID card.
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I prefer ASUS for motherboard... but that is just personal preference, since both the brands you list are good

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to the computer I built... since the GTX 285 is no longer sold, I would now go with a GTX 460

For my home hobbyist, family movies (which means that I am not trying to recreate Star Wars with video effects or many layers) AVCHD editing is "as smooth as spreading warm butter on hot toast" (also the MP4 video from wife's Flip camera)

My 3 hard drives are configured as...
          1 - 320G WD Win7 and all programs
          2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and PPro projects
          3 - 1T WD all video files... read and write

1 person found this helpful