this Error can occur if you make use of JUNCTION in your filesystem. Sometimes those JUNCTIONS are made by your Operating System (e.g. windows anytime-upgrade and than changeing system language). But perhaps you manually changed program and data storage locations by using JUNCTION ( e.g. mklink or any other tool ).
ONE SOLUTION which works for me was to install Adobe Reader manually by downloading the appropriate version at ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win . The startup with the desktop shortcut will not work.
1. You should create a new Folder (e.g. TEST ) in the HOMEDRIVE ( normally C: ) root location which is not a JUNCTION .
2. Open a command line ( press WinodwsKey+R than type "%COMSPEC%" without quotes and press OK Button)
3. Use now the set command to change environment varibles temporarily Change APPDATA and USERPROFILE by typing
4. Now start Adobe Reader from this command line by typing
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe"
Adobe Reader will open.
5. You should go straight to Menu: Edit->Preferences->General
Disable or deselect the "Enable Protected Mode at startup" at the bottom. Click OK. and exit Adobe Reader.
6. Adobe settings are now written to C:\TEST
copy all from C:\TEST to your original USERPROFILE dir
Now you can use the desktop shortcut of Adobe Reader and it will also open pdf directly in your browser.
I have the same problem, but this solution doesn't work. In 5, Preferences doesn't appear, Reader freezes and I need to kill process. I have win7-64 and ssd drive, because of that my userprofile stored at hdd and c:\users is a link.