7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2015 10:27 AM by Qengineering

Create a layer mask, like in Flash

larkinheather

Hi everyone,

I'm using Premiere CS5.

I have a video on one track, but I only want to show a portion of it (as designated by another layer).

I tried a track matte key, but then the mask moves along with the track. I don't want that to happen. I want the mask to stay in the same place and the track elements to move, only revealing parts of it depending on what runs under the mask.

In Flash, you can create a drawing on one layer, make that layer a mask, and then whatever's on a layer beneath it will only show through the area defined by the mask layer drawing. That's what I'm looking to do. Is there an equivelant process in Premiere?

Thanks for your help!!

Heather

• 1. Re: Create a layer mask, like in Flash
          Bucketheadd Level 1

Hello,

There's alot of info in the help section of Premiere. Help>Adobe Premiere Help

Here's a link:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WSD5DF3869-526C-4888-9F89-D37F5D8E325Aa.h tml

Hope this helps

• 2. Re: Create a layer mask, like in Flash
            CutlassKelley Level 1

That doesn't really answer the question if you don't know what it is you're actually looking for in Adobe's help. There's nothing on that page that says, "Masking in Premiere." What part of the page is relevant? Who has time to read every last word on that page to figure it out?   I've got a similiar problem, and I'd love to SIMPLY mask out the black edges around my video so that they don't show up when I put this video into another program.   Because I was able to create a custom aspect ratio in the program I used to create the video, but for some reason I cannot make Premiere set the aspect ratio to match that of my video all the way around, and all I want to do is edit this thing but now I'll end up with a video with 2" black edges.

How do I mask those out so that only the video shows?

• 3. Re: Create a layer mask, like in Flash
              shooternz Level 6
              I'd love to SIMPLY mask out the black edges around my video so that they don't show up when I put this video into another program.

Choosing the right sequence setting to match your source footage should eliminate your issue. ie make the frame fit the image.

• 4. Re: Create a layer mask, like in Flash
                CutlassKelley Level 1

Okay - I tried this, and I still have black bars.  My video is 1200 x 900, my sequence setting is at 1200 x 900, and I have to reduce everything on the stage to 90% to get it to fit, and I end up with black bars at the top and bottom. In fact, I created a NEW project with a NEW sequence with the 1200 x 900 aspect ratio. The sequence is set to the exact video size, and I still cannot get rid of the black bars.  I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

• 5. Re: Create a layer mask, like in Flash
                  Qengineering Level 3

1200x900 is a pretty strange video format. If you're placing a standard 16:9 video image into a 1200x900 sequence, you will have black bars on the top and bottom unless you enlarge and crop the sides.

If ALL of your source images are 1200x900 with no black bars showing (I'd have to ask how those were created...) then you should have no black bars when placing them into a 1200x900 sequence. If you do still have black bars then we need to look into changing the pixel aspect from 'square' to something else. We'll need some sample images to be able to help you.

• 6. Re: Create a layer mask, like in Flash
                    CutlassKelley Level 1

I made the initial video a year ago - it's going to be inserted into a Captivate slide. There are a series of videos that will be used this way. The only way they will fit the slide is if they are 1200x900 - I'd rather not go into the gory details of 'why.' I was tasked with editting a portion of the video and no longer have access to the original Premiere file.  I have a video that's 1200x900 and I need to edit it and re-render it without black bars, but that's all I seem to be able to get.  I have no idea how this is masked in Flash - the only masking I know how to do in Premiere isn't the kind of masking I need.  I just want the bars gone. I don't get it. 

videoAspetRatio.png  sequenceSettings.png  blackBars.png

• 7. Re: Create a layer mask, like in Flash
                      Qengineering Level 3

Manually create a new 1200x900 sequence and set the pixel aspect ratio to Square Pixels (1.0), (current sequence Pixel aspect is 0.9091) and Fields to Progressive.

I suspect your unusual image size is fooling Premiere into thinking the Pixel Aspect is not square.