13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2011 5:36 AM by Crist OC/PC

screen freeze

Jay Knobbe Level 1

Good Morning,

I am having a problem with my computer freezing (lock up?) Last night I was installing CS5 and it locked up with 10 mins remaining on desc 2. Previously I performed some of the tweaks as recommended by Bill G and on Black Viper.

I moved the page file to one of my Raid volumes, set it at 12286. Could this cause the problem? If not, any ideas where to look?

After I rebooted I put disc 2 back in the drive but it has no setup.exe. It looks like it's just various files. Do I remove the remnants of CS5 and start over?

Thank you

• 1. Re: screen freeze
          Harm Millaard Level 7

I would remove the partial installation as thorough as you can. Use uninstall from the Control panel, use Adobe Clean Script several times, rebooting in between and try to find the Microsoft Cleaner utility and run that as well. Then retry.

Caveats:

1. Turn off anti-virus and anti-anything before starting the installation.

2. Turn off any unneeded programs before installing.

3. Defragment your OS drive before installing.

4. Be patient. Installation can take a long time.

5. If you still have problems with disk 2, you can contact Adobe CS and ask for a replacement disk. It is not unheard of that occasionally there is a bad disk in the package.

If you still have problems, contact Adobe TS for help with installation, it is free. Your page file should have no impact at all, unless it is indicative of disk problems.

• 2. Re: screen freeze
            Jay Knobbe Level 1

Thanks, I'll post the outcome tomorrow.

• 3. Re: screen freeze
              Jay Knobbe Level 1

Should I install the software in safe mode?

• 4. Re: screen freeze
                Harm Millaard Level 7

No need to do that. I have never even tried it, so I don't know how that impacts on the installation, but you can have some problems with activation if you run in safe mode. Your video driver can also cause problems, so I would not go that route.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: screen freeze
                  Jay Knobbe Level 1

Greetings,

Harm, I followed your instructions to the letter, installed CS5, only to get within 2 minutes to finish on the third disc and my computer just froze. I had the task manager screen open watching the CPU and memory usage. All were very, very low. Rebooted, started the CS5 disc one, then two, then 3 and finally got everything installed. I think. Don't feel real good about it tho.

Started up update the CS programs a learned it was best to do that from within the CS programs so I opened Photoshop, checked for updates and a window opened that said there were updates available for the whole suite. Went for it but part way through, another lock up, and repeated pmessages to close ADOBE bridge, not it's not open.

I believe this is an issue with my computer, not the software. After Windows 7 install it froze once or twice but I thought it was just a freak occurance.

I installed many of the utilities recommended by you and others ( can't figure out how to install the SYSINTERNALS stuff as it has no .exe file) So I'm not sure what I need to monitor to provide diagnostic info. All connections are complete and fully seated, including the RAM

I can tell you that everything runs very, very cool, & I have a large PSU & UPS,and there are no other programs installed except Windows7, CS5 and some of the monitoring utilities.

Hardware:

CM 932 HAF X case

GIGABYTE UDR3 v2 MOBO

FE bios (most current)

2x6 GSkill ram (recommended for this board)

1000w CM PSU

950i

CM CPU cooler

4 F3's 1TB set up in two RAID 0

1 WD Velicoraptor 300g OS drive

2 WD 2TB Black Caviar drives for back up and resources

Page file set to 12286 on RAID A

Followed Bill G & Harm's recommendations for disabling certain services, etc.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

• 6. Re: screen freeze
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Jay,

What does event viewer tell you?

Right click My Computer, select Manage, twirl open Event Viewer/Windows Logs/System and Application. Scroll through these to find exclamation icons or error icons.

Event-viewer.jpg

• 7. Re: screen freeze
                      ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

What do you have your ram set to in the Bios? Do you have the XMP Profile set to Profile 1?  What do you have your Uncore ratio set to? What do you have your QPI and Dram voltages set to?

Eric

ADK

• 8. Re: screen freeze
                        Jay Knobbe Level 1

@Eric....  LOL....    Say what ???

Those are not settings I changed in the bios but tonight when I get home I'll check that and the Event Viewer as Harm suggested.

Thanks a ton.

• 9. Re: screen freeze
                          Crist OC/PC Level 2

Try to change your bios to the default mode. Sound more like a problem with vcore voltage. Coult be a profile for the ram to. Read the specification of your ram: Frequency, Latency and voltage and look how you have thouse valors on your Bios.

B.R.

• 10. Re: screen freeze
                            Jay Knobbe Level 1

XMP profile = Disabled

Uncore ratio = Auto

QPI & Dram Voltage = Auto

Since I didn't change anything in these Bios screens on purpose I assume these are the default settings?

Thanks Eric

@ Harm

THe event viewer shows a couple of these yellow marks..

CRITICAL / Kernel-Power  /Rebooted without clean shutdown (when I rebooted after a lock up I assume)

ERROR / Bug Check

ERROR / Event Log / Unexpected shutdown

WARNING / DNS Client Event / Something to do with Comcast, my Internet connection

• 11. Re: screen freeze
                              Crist OC/PC Level 2

Dont you get blue screem??

• 12. Re: screen freeze
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

What PSU do you have and what are your idle/load temperatures?

Use something like HWMonitor or Speedfan to measure temps, make a screen shot when idle, and make a screen shot when running Prime95 Torture test for 15 minutes or more.

• 13. Re: screen freeze
                                  Crist OC/PC Level 2

GOOD point. and check as well if your GPU IS CONECTED right and is the psu is conected to the grafic card.