6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2011 4:08 PM by Media Andy

Information/Properties for Premiere project

Media Andy

Hi..

Premiere Pro CS5 Production Suite

iMac

I've just completed a short film in Premiere and sent it to Encore via Dynamic Link, and has all gone to plan ending in a successful DVD being burned.

However, I need to find out some information about the project.

This is :

Format and Codec

File Size

Data Rate

Frame Rate

Frame Size

I am fine with Frame Rate and Size. The format I know is PAL, but because I have sent this via Dynamic Link there doesn't seem to be a codec for it.

My file size is 770KB (as it is essentially borrowing the media from my files) but is there a total file size including these?

How can I find out what the Average Data Rate is? I have looked but can't seem to find anything?

This information is easy to find when a sequence has been exported to another format, but I am unable to find this either in Premiere or Encore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

• 1. Re: Information/Properties for Premiere project
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Sequence information can be found in PR, before the dynamic link.

After burning to DVD, it is MPEG2-DVD, 720 x 576/25 PAL, probably AC3 stereo, etc. Use Gspot or Mediainfo to identify the properties of a VOB file. File size and data rate depend on the length of the time-line. With this workflow, data rate is set automatically by Encore.

Why would you need these data? It plays good, so what is the value added of the additional info?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Information/Properties for Premiere project
            Media Andy Level 1

Thanks for the info.

I'm at University and am looking at this kind of information for videos produced.

I understand the codec regarding exporting to Encore now..thx (MPEG-2) PAL and dimensions (720x576). The Data Rate in Encore shows up as 8,192KB/sec, however I have just selected my sequence in Premiere and clicked File>Get Properties for>Selection, which brings up a number of windows showing the properties for each asset.

I thought that maybe there would be a data rate for the finished movie, if not in Premiere, then in Encore.

Regarding the file size, the 770KB that is coming up doesn't represent my finished movie file? To get this, I guess I should just add the file sizes of the assets (After Effects clips, footage, audio and images) that have gone into my movie.

• 3. Re: Information/Properties for Premiere project
              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Data Rate in Encore shows up as 8,192KB/sec, however I have just selected my sequence in Premiere and clicked File>Get Properties for>Selection, which brings up a number of windows showing the properties for each asset.  I thought that maybe there would be a data rate for the finished movie, if not in Premiere, then in Encore.

What do you mean by the datarate in Encore?

The datarate of the movie on disk is what Harm indicated, the datarate of the vob.  (In gspot or mediainfo, you can get the video and audio datarates.)

There is no finished movie in Premiere.  There is only your source, and then, the "finished movie" on disk (and see below re Encore's work files).

As you may have seen, there is more than one vob that includes your movie, so no single source there.

Part of the point here is that your search for the "finished movie" may not be the single file you imagined.  And adding things up may or may not be meaningful - are you looking for what the storage needs are?

Encore saves all its transcoded assets, menus, etc, in a directory structure below the encore project file itself.  If you export/transcode a DVD ready file from Premiere (you are not), you will not find it in the project structure; it is found only where you exported it.  When you dynamic link (or import a non-DVD-ready file), the Encore transcoded file will be in the Encore subdirectories.  Unlike the vobs on disk, you will find a single file with the video (for DVD an m2v) and audio.

• 4. Re: Information/Properties for Premiere project
                Media Andy Level 1

Thanks for the points. There is some really good info here that will help me understand more about this technology (and not just the editing side of things).

I understand what you are saying regarding the 'finished movie' and 'sources'.

I have also seen the related files in the Encore subdirectories.

The Data Rate in Encore I was looking at was File>Project Settings. The 8,192KB/sec was under the transcode settings :

Maximum Audio/Vide Bitrate 8.0Mbps

If I had of exported this movie as a separate movie file before importing it to Encore (quicktime/mpg) then by looking at the properties of this clip, the bit rate figure would have been simple to see.

As I have read in books and on the internet, there is a lot of discussion regarding files and compression etc and it seems there is a wealth of info to learn. I guess it's maybe a case of keep on doing more stuff and I will learn more as time goes on.

Thanks for insight

• 5. Re: Information/Properties for Premiere project
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Andy,

You are correct. Had you done an Export, say to MPEG-2, you would then have a Bit-Rate, or a range of Bit-Rates, depending on whether you chose CBR (Constant Bit-Rate), or 2-pass VBR (Variable Bit-Rate). With VBR, there would be a Target Bit-Rate, and then a Min & Max. The actual Bit-Rate should be in that range, depending on how much motion was "found" in the footage. Segments with more motion will have a higher Bit-Rate, and static segments will have a lower Bit-Rate. This is how Hollywood squeezes high-quality material onto a DVD - they use 9 - 10 pass Transcoding, run by experts in Transcoding.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - for a bit of background, until one Exports, there is really no "movie." The Project file (PRPROJ) is just an XML database with links to the media, and then instructions on how to process the data from the media files. Other than reading the required data, and acting on the instructions, the media is never actually touched. The data is read, the instructions acted upon, and then one gets the resultant AV file, upon Export.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Information/Properties for Premiere project
                    Media Andy Level 1

Thanks all for the relevant information..It helps a lot

Andy