2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2011 6:55 PM by HarryPutnam

A question of version compatability with premiere

HarryPutnam Level 1

I have CS4 Production premium installed and have had for a good while.

I got into some projects where the benefits of the rotobrush in AECS5 looked really attractive and ended up buying just the lone application.

I'm having a lot of screen freezes and final crashes of both AECS5 and PPrCS4 and the like I didn't have before, and I think I can trace the trouble to something to do with dynamic link when I have both premiere pro CS4 and AE CS5 running.

Its beginning to look like it may have been a very foolish purchase, although I did try out the trial first for a few days.

Are there known problems with running CS5 AE and CS4 Premiere?  I realize the same sort of interplay as is possible with AE CS4 and premiere CS4 would not be possible but just figured I'd render stuff out of AE 5 as we did before the days of dynamic link.

Is it possible to turn dynamic link off in PPrCS4?

Is it likely the troubles I'm seeing are related to incompatability in some ways between AECS5 and PPr CS4.

• 1. Re: A question of version compatability with premiere
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

They really shouldn't interfere with each other, much less since 32bit apps (CS4) simply cannot do anything with 64bit apps (CS5). Are you certain you are not just seeing some general memory shortage? The only other thing would be concurrent resource usage for graphics audio etc.. Here you may indeed cause some trouble by having 64bit drivers and components using the same devices. Probably tweaking some of the acceleration options in AE and PPRo (read: turning off OpenGL and accelerated previews/ timelien playback) may slightly improve the situation...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: A question of version compatability with premiere
            HarryPutnam Level 1

Mylenium wrote:

They really shouldn't interfere with each other, much less since 32bit apps (CS4) simply cannot do anything with 64bit apps (CS5). Are you certain you are not just seeing some general memory shortage? The only other thing would be concurrent resource usage for graphics audio etc.. Here you may indeed cause some trouble by having 64bit drivers and components using the same devices. Probably tweaking some of the acceleration options in AE and PPRo (read: turning off OpenGL and accelerated previews/ timelien playback) may slightly improve the situation...

Mylenium

No, not certain what I'm seeing really.  I'm running an i7 Q820 CPU (quad) with 8gb ram.

Do you know what happens in the event you've installed AE cs5 and have a suite of CS4 installed when you run CS4 premier pro's cursor over a an AECS5 imprt on the timeline?

Does the dynamic link know not to try to call CS5 AE if CS5AE is running?

I'm asking this stuff for one, because I've noticed double clicking a cs4 AE project file  opens AECS5 and all the icons for CS4 project files have become CS5AE icons (CS5 are slightly darker or brighter, not very noticable unless you have seen them side by side)

And of course, since buying a single tool (CS5 AE) you can't expect dynamic linking to work betwee CS4 Premier and CS5AE but do the tools now how to behave too?