7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2011 6:59 PM by Kevin-Monahan

Blog: Using the Extend Edit (Trim with CTI) Function

Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Gang,
      I just wrote a blog about using the extend edit function (AKA "Trimming with the Current-Time Indicator") in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5. Are you using this feature?

Tell me what you think: Using the Extend Edit Function in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 by Kevin Monahan

I think it's a heck of a lot faster then using the Rolling Edit tool in most situations. When editing on other NLEs, this is one of the tools I look for first because it's such a time saver. This is especially so when aligning graphical and text elements to a clip on multiple tracks or floating the start or end of a b-roll section. Works wonders on multiple audio tracks too.

More about Extend Edit

Let me know if you need any help or clarification in understanding this feature.

• 1. Re: Blog: Using the Extend Edit (Trim with CTI) Function

Hmm. No one does an extend edit? You only use the Rolling Edit tool to do a roll trim? 

• 2. Re: Blog: Using the Extend Edit (Trim with CTI) Function
            davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Looks quite interesting! I've always just used the shortcut to get my tool tip, not going over to change tool tips--I'm quite proficient at that, and I find that I actually don't think about it anymore (which leads to trouble when trying to tell folks what shortcut does what tool tip!). I'll have to check out this extend edit trick... Can it also lengthen clips?

One problem I seem to have on everything I do is that my boss thinks my lower thirds and other title overlays are up too short... to be able to simply go from one to the other with the CTI and extend them would be great...

• 3. Re: Blog: Using the Extend Edit (Trim with CTI) Function

Hi David,

Yes, please check out the extend edit function. It's the fastest way to do a roll trim. Extending title elements is definitely one of the things I do frequently with the extend edit function.

By "lengthen" do you mean ripple trimming a clip to the CTI? No, that function does not yet exist but it would make a stellar feature request. Even better would be ripple trimming dynamically with the JKL keys in the timeline. Can you make a feature request? Here is the link: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

• 4. Re: Blog: Using the Extend Edit (Trim with CTI) Function
                Jim_Simon Level 8

You only use the Rolling Edit tool to do a roll trim? 

Yep.  I like to see what I'm trimming in the program monitor.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Blog: Using the Extend Edit (Trim with CTI) Function

Oh yes Jim, good point. The best reason to use the Rolling Edit tool is to see the "2-up" view of the outgoing and incoming shots, shown here: http://bit.ly/dJ356f You can also see the trims in the Trim Monitor: http://bit.ly/eGroo6

Extend edit comes into play most when you don't need to see what your trimming, for example, when you're aligning shots on various tracks. It also comes into play when aligning an edit point to an audio cue or rolling out some B-roll.

• 6. Re: Blog: Using the Extend Edit (Trim with CTI) Function
                    Huntrex Level 2

Hey Kevin, thanks for the great blog post.

A while back I discovered this function (among others) in the keyboard shortcuts dialogue and have been using it ever since. It works especially well with my ShuttlePRO, where I can set each button to perform a keyboard shortcut.

The ShuttlePro works very well with many of the "hidden" keyboard shortcuts. Using X-Mouse, I have set the Control and Alt modifier keys to the two side buttons on my mouse. Then in Premiere, I set some of the keyboard shortcuts to include the Control key, so I can hit Control on my mouse and the ShuttlePro has an alternate function, that I have set, for each button. This is where I use shortcuts for the extend edit (or roll to edit to CTI) and for slipping, sliding and nudging clips. It's really nice to be able to nudge clips using the wheel, to quickly and precisely position a clip and achieve perfect timing, while never having to touch the keyboard and avoiding the rudimentary movements of the mouse.

Most beginners use the mouse exclusively. I have found using keyboard shortcuts greatly increases editing efficiency, especially when coupled with a device such as the ShuttlePro.

As a side note, I want to thank the Premiere Pro team for the awesome job they did on CS5. I had some major stability issues with CS4, but CS5 is rock solid... and fast!  

-Mitch

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Blog: Using the Extend Edit (Trim with CTI) Function

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for the compliment. We're glad you're enjoying the stability of Adobe Premiere Pro CS5. We're really proud of the application and love to hear stories like this.

That's cool you use the Shuttle Pro in combination with keyboard shortcuts. I am very interested in finding out how people use third party hardware with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5. There's some interesting gear out there.

BTW, here's a new tutorial from Andrew Devis about the Rolling Edit Tool on the Cow. Definitely on topic (see attached screenshot). Check it out: http://bit.ly/fjmTYQ

After watching the tutorial, I now realize I use extend edit in another instance - playing past a camera error and then extend editing to the CTI to cover up the mistake.