18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2011 1:53 PM by Matt Paintin

Render is hanging in CS5

Matt Paintin Level 1

Im trying to render a 13 minute sequence made up of both Red rd3 clips and Quicktime Animation codec clips.

The problem is that the rendering just hangs at around the same place each time I try and render it.

Its not exactly the same place each time which confuses the matter.

The QT clips are in one 'block' together and its here that the render hangs each time.

If i remove the QT clips the sequence renders just fine.

I have tried a couple of QT codecs but its the same problem with each

Any ideas as to waht is causing the issue?

I assume I can mix RED and qt files in the same sequence cant I?

• 1. Re: Render is hanging in CS5
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Where's you get the QuickTime clips?

• 2. Re: Render is hanging in CS5
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I assume I can mix RED and qt files in the same sequence cant I?

Yes.

Have you installed the Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.3) update?

Tell us about your computer system. What operating system? Any extra video hardware, like capture cards? What video card?

• 3. Re: Render is hanging in CS5
              Matt Paintin Level 1

Thanks guys

To answer your questions

The QT's are rendered from After Effects...

I only just got notification of the available update so I havent tried that yet.

My system is Windows 7 64 bit with 6GB RAM. My card is a GeForce 285 GTX.

No extra hardware.

I should mention that the sequence that I am trying to render is comprised of 3 different sequences created within the same project.

Rendering any of these sequences on their own does not present any problems.

It is only when they are combined (nested?) into one big sequence that the hanging issue occurs.

• 4. Re: Render is hanging in CS5
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Most people here are very glad that CS5 is now 64 bit. Why anyone would deliberately destroy the 64 bit nature and only use a 32 bit Quircktime codec on a Windows machine is beyond me.

Have you tried another export from AE instead of that crippled Quircktime?

• 5. Re: Render is hanging in CS5
                  Matt Paintin Level 1

Im not hugely experienced with Premiere and

codecs (I'm a visual effects artist) so its all a learning curve for me....

Any suggestions for a native alternative codec would be appreciated......

• 6. Re: Render is hanging in CS5
                    Matt Paintin Level 1

Installed the 5.0.3 update

Problem still persists....

• 7. Re: Render is hanging in CS5
                      Matt Paintin Level 1

Any useful help would be appreciated on this

As it stands at the moment I cant even render a very simple 12 minute RED rd3 sequence....not beyond Prems capabilities surely?

It just doesnt seem to be very robust to me...

• 8. Re: Render is hanging in CS5
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Try Lagarith or UT codecs for export.

It just doesnt seem to be very robust to me...

That is usually caused by OE (Operator error), lacking system or failing hardware.

• 9. Re: Render is hanging in CS5
                          Matt Paintin Level 1

Hmmmm

Not sure I would say that my 4 month old system falls into any of those catagories.

I have a recommended graphics card and 6 GB of RAM ( I can hear shouts of 'you can never have enough RAM')

I think I would be hesitant to assume OE too....

After all I am only trying to render a simple RED sequence...wouldnt have thought that was too much to handle...

With regards to the codec I have tried Lagarith but found it inferior in quality compared to some codecs

I understand UT isnt as good as Lagarith either

Part of the problem here is conflicting advice....only a couple of weeks ago I was recommended an Avid QT codec.....

I have to say that I havent had any problems until I used them in Premiere...

• 10. Re: Render is hanging in CS5
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

What can easily happen on a system with only 6 GB of memory while editing Red footage, is that it runs out of memory, so it needs to use the page file, which in turn can be interrupted by other processes that need access to your disks as well (indexing, anti-virus, defragging, NTFS housekeeping, etc.) so an error is easily made or a process interrupted, with unknown consequences. I'm not saying that this is really happening, but just thinking aloud.

Before you start your render, but with PR active, how many processes does Process Explorer show you have running? If more than 40 - 50, you may need to clean up and kill a number of them, especially with limited memory.

• 11. Re: Render is hanging in CS5
                              Matt Paintin Level 1

PE is a 3rd party app right?

I try to keep my machine as light as possible with installations but I take your point with the memory allocation.

Looking at the Task manager its using around 4GB to render but cpu usge is nearly always 100%

Im going to render the sequence out in blocks with the lagarith codec and then re-import to see if that helps.

That may at least eliminate the RED factor.

• 12. Re: Render is hanging in CS5
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Correct. Look here:  Sysinternal Utilities

Extract Process Explorer to your C:\Windows directory.

• 13. Re: Render is hanging in CS5
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  I have tried Lagarith but found it inferior in quality compared to some codecs

I understand UT isnt as good as Lagarith either

They're both visually lossless codecs, which means the reconstructed image will be identical to the original.

Do you have a suite from Adobe, or just individual programs?  If the former, your best option is to use Dynamic Link, which obviates the need for an intermediate export altogether.  If the later, then either Lagarith or UT will offer the same visual result as Uncompressed, but in a smaller file size.

• 14. Re: Render is hanging in CS5
                                    Matt Paintin Level 1

Thanks for your replies guys

I dont have the suite unfortunately but I suspect that the hanging issue is a QT 32/64 bit problem.

Having done a few quality tests with Lagarith the quality is better than my first tests.

If you think that this avoids any problems with the 64 bit issue I may try exchanging my clips for an all Lagarith set up.

Incidentally I did notice that the Adobe Encoder sometimes freezes on start up....just as its loading the QT importer.

Relevant perhaps?

• 15. Re: Render is hanging in CS5
                                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                                      > Incidentally I did notice that the Adobe Encoder sometimes freezes on start up....just as its loading the QT importer.

That makes me think that you're hitting one of the issues that I describe here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3388374#3388374

• 16. Re: Render is hanging in CS5
                                        Matt Paintin Level 1

Thanks Todd

So even though the QT clips load and for the most part render, do you think that its a 32 bit issue that could be causing the render hang?

Its always a QT clip that the render gets stuck on incidentally.....

• 17. Re: Render is hanging in CS5
                                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

It was the failure of Adobe Media Encoder to launch that made me suspect that something is interfering with the TCP communication between Premiere Pro and the QuickTime server. Disabling all antivirus/security software is a good thing to try (but be sure that you're not leaving your computere vulnerable and connected to the Internet when you do that).

Also, try booting in Safe mode and then try.

I've seen other software (such as FileMaker) intermittently interfere with the communication between Premiere Pro and the QuickTime server, so it's best to test with no other programs running, including ones that start up automatically. That's where booting in Safe mode can help, at least for diagnosis.

• 18. Re: Render is hanging in CS5
                                            Matt Paintin Level 1

Thanks for the helpful info Todd, much appreciated

I think I may test a non QT route using  a Windows codec which may confirm that there is indeed a QT glich.