6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2011 5:58 PM by the_wine_snob

APE8 worked OK with mp4 files, not doesn't recognize

todwin700

I started a project last fall and brought all my .jpg stills and all the .mp4 HD video from my camera into Premiere Elements 8.  I used organizer to create folders by location and put all relevant stills and video into the folders.

Everything played OK and I even did a couple of test movies which worked fine.

I've now re-opened the project and the the software is responding that the file format is not recognized by premiere elements 8 or I don't have the proper codec installed.

I had installed xvid and divx pro, but  these files HAVE NOT been converted into those formats.

Please advise as to why the videos were working OK last September (2010), and now (Jan 2011) the product doesn't recognize.

Thanks,

Jack

• 1. Re: APE8 worked OK with mp4 files, not doesn't recognize
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's hard to say without know what codec was used in those MP4s.

Have you run G Spot on the file?

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: APE8 worked OK with mp4 files, not doesn't recognize
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Jack,

It appears that something has happened to your H.264 CODEC. Have you removed any programs?

What version of Apple's QT Player do you have? Will it play the MP4 files well? QT Player installs Apple's H.264 CODEC, so it might be as simple as just updating QT Player.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - as you point out, neither the Xvid, or DivX should have anything to do with those files.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: APE8 worked OK with mp4 files, not doesn't recognize
              todwin700 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions!!

I got the GSpot.exe and it shows "status undetermined" for the H264 codec.

I reinstalled QuickTime, but a new H.264 codec is not shown when I list the installed codec in gspot under system.

I reviewed info on DivX and they do indicate that they install their own version of the H.264 codec.  Even tho the files were recorded NOT in the DivX format and had not been converted, maybe the install of DivX pro did screw up the H.264 codec and now APE8 doesn't know what to do.

I haven't rebooted the machine yet, but I'd like to keep the DivX software.  If I uninstall it, I don't think a previous version of the H.264 will be restored.

I got a file called x264.exe from free-codecs.com and ran it, but i'm worried because it didn't respond with any install messages and doesn't show up in the installed program listing.  i ran a malwarebytes scan with the current database but it didn't find anything.

After all this, the H264 status using gspot is still undetermined.  I restarted the APE8 project and the file thumbnails show up OK from the prior import (if I update they go to the "broken" icon), but trying to use still results in the unknown codec.

I'll reboot and see if there are any changes.

Thanks again

• 4. Re: APE8 worked OK with mp4 files, not doesn't recognize
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What kind of camcorder did this video come from?

It's possible that it uses a proprietary codec of some kind that Premiere Elements can not work with.

• 5. Re: APE8 worked OK with mp4 files, not doesn't recognize
                  todwin700 Level 1

Hey Steve and Bill,

Thanks a lot for your attention to this problem and your suggestions.

After machine reboot the .mp4 files that were previously imported and had previously worked, then stopped being recognized, were again recognized and would play in the preview window as well as when dragged to the timeline.

The only action I took was to reinstalled QuickTime and then to install the x264 codec pack.  The Gspot still sees the h264 codec as undefined so I'm not sure what it up with that.

However, the problem I was having has been resolved through either the QuickTime or the x264 install and a reboot.

I do have to resize the video however as I think I took it at a size/resolution that doesn't fit well for DVD production.  Too widescreen.  More than a 16x9.

The camera is one of the Samsung handhelds that uses flash memory for recording.  I checked before I bought the camera that APE8 would handle the HD format.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!

Jack

• 6. Re: APE8 worked OK with mp4 files, not doesn't recognize
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Jack,

Thanks for reporting your success. Some times, a reboot is all that it takes to get things working correctly again.

Good luck,

Hunt