14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2011 8:53 AM by the_wine_snob

Audio just a whooshing sound in PP CS5

Walkingoliver

Last night I created a sequence by importing a group of downloaded YouTube videos.  I finished the editing and it looked and sounded great.  I saved the project figuring I would go back to in the morning and export it.  When I reopened the project today everything looked the same but when I played it the audio all the way through is just making a wind-like whooshing sound.  The meters read the audio and when I click the mute button on the audio track it silences the whooshing.  I then tried importing a different track, totally unrelated to my project but got the same result.  The video files all play perfectly in Adobe Media Player and in QT and VLC.

Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks,

Paul

• 1. Re: Audio just a whooshing sound in PP CS5
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

What is the Audio CODEC in these YouTube files?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Audio just a whooshing sound in PP CS5
            Walkingoliver Level 1

Hi Bill,

Sorry, how do I find that information?

Best,

Paul

• 3. Re: Audio just a whooshing sound in PP CS5
              Walkingoliver Level 1

Oh, wait––sorry.  I found it using VLC.  The audio is MPEG AAC audio and the

video is H264 MPEG-4 AVC.

Thanks,

Paul

• 4. Re: Audio just a whooshing sound in PP CS5
                Walkingoliver Level 1

Something interesting, though.  VLC reads the audio file under codecs at

44100 hz but when I check the imported file in Premiere Pro is says 1000

hz.  Could this be the problem?

Paul

• 5. Re: Audio just a whooshing sound in PP CS5
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

There is obviously an issue. The 44.1KHz is the CD standard, where 1000Hz is not at all normal.

Now, you state that when working on the Audio, things were fine, until you shut the system down. Is that correct?

When you Imported the AV files, did you get the little progress bar on Conforming, in the lower-right of the GUI?

In the Media Cache for that Project, do you have matching CFA files (the Conformed Audio)?

As a workaround, can you rip the Audio from the AV files, and then do a Save_As PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit? You would then Import those WAV files, replacing just the Audio of the Clips (Alt+clicking on the Audio portion). One could also just drag those WAV files to a free Audio Track, and Mute the Audio Track with those "whooshing" files.

If you have Soundbooth, or Audition, they can most likely rip the Audio, and all you then need to do is a Save_As. If you do not have either, the great, free audio-editor, Audacity, should be able to do it, as well. Just use the above specs. for the PCM/WAV files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Audio just a whooshing sound in PP CS5
                    Walkingoliver Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your help.  It is correct that the audio played fine and normally

throughout the sequence until I saved the project and shut down the program.

I did not notice whether I got a progress bar on Conforming.  Do all files

conform to a particular project setting after they are imported to the

program?  I'm still fairly new to Premiere, I'm afraid.

Can you tell me where to find the Media Cache?  I'm assuming you're not

referring to the Media Browser.

As for your workaround, ripping the audio and 'saving as' to the proper

48Khz, I already did try that in Soundbooth but the file still played with

the same whooshing.  I'm going to try this again, however and I'll report

back.

Many thanks!

Paul

• 7. Re: Audio just a whooshing sound in PP CS5
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Can you tell me where to find the Media Cache?

See this page.

• 8. Re: Audio just a whooshing sound in PP CS5
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

All Audio is Conformed to 32-bit floating-point, for accurate editing. The ideal Audio for Import and editing is PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit, and it will Conform to 32-bit floating point in the blink of an eye. The farther the Audio is from those PCM/WAV specs., the longer it will take. Some, will not Conform at all, though PrPro can ingest a fairly broad range - just takes more work to get it Conformed. Besides the CFA files, there should be a PEK with the same filename. These are Waveform Display files, so in the Media Cache, you should have 1 [Filename].CFA and 1 [Filename].PEK (much, much smaller file).

I see that Todd has gotten you the Media Cache location.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I am puzzled at why the Audio played one time, but not the next. When the CFA's get unlinked/lost, PrPro will regenerate those again.

Also, during the Conforming process, there is a blue progress bar in the lower-right of the GUI. Always wait until that operation completes, and the progress bar disappears.

• 9. Re: Audio just a whooshing sound in PP CS5
                          Walkingoliver Level 1

Bill,

I've tried the workaround you suggest below, opened the audio portion in

Soundbooth and chose Save As, saved it as a WAV at 48KHz/16bit and still the

file won't play.  I'm surprised, though, that there isn't a conversion mode

of some sort.  In other audio programs that I've used an audio file must be

converted to a different bit-length or KHz rating.  Just selecting Save As

wouldn't be enough, so once again I'm confused.

The files that are corresponding CFA files in the cache have an audio res of

8000KHz.  I said in an earlier email that the audio was 1000KHz but I was

mistaken.  The audio portion was and is 8000KHz.  None of them will play in

PP or in any player that I've tried.  Yet the original files that I imported

were 44100.

One other thing I've noticed––when I drag the original files directly into

the Project area from a folder on my desktop the audio doesn't play, yet it

played before I dragged them in.  So obviously the program is crushing the

audio portion as soon as it enters the sequence.

Paul

• 10. Re: Audio just a whooshing sound in PP CS5
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Let's give this a try in Audacity, as it appears that Adobe programs are having an issue with those MPEG AAC Audio.

Open the file in Audacity, and see if it will play. If it does, do the Save_As (this is basically the conversion to the set specs., 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV), and try Importing THAT file into PrPro.

Let us know how this works, and good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Audio just a whooshing sound in PP CS5
                              Walkingoliver Level 1

Hi,

Well, here's how I finally sorted it and it's along these lines.  I have

iSkysoft's Video Converter and I used that to convert a copy of the FLV

files to WAV files and then, after reimporting the FLV files I imported the

corresponding WAV files on top of the audio portions.  That worked fine and

I'm glad it's finished.

My question still remains, what's the reason for this?  Does the program

have a problem converting FLV files?

Thanks!

Paul

• 12. Re: Audio just a whooshing sound in PP CS5
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

As of about CS4.1, PrPro had the capability to Import and edit many FLV files. Just like a wrapper, such as AVI, FLV's can have some different "stuff" in them. It is usually that "stuff" that gives the program an issue. My guess is that something in those got in the way with the audio. Probably some choice that YouTube made. As the files are designed to play in their Web pages, they are not thinking about people trying to edit them.

Glad that you got things sorted, and that PCM/WAV worked for you. Sorry about the extra steps, but that is often the way it is with many formats/CODEC's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Audio just a whooshing sound in PP CS5
                                  Walkingoliver Level 1

Thanks for the excellent help, Hunt.  I do feel like I've learned more about

the program and that's a good thing.

All best,

Paul

• 14. Re: Audio just a whooshing sound in PP CS5
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome. We all learn, or should, constantly. The learning for me is my main reason for being here. 

Good luck,

Hunt