2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2011 6:03 PM by reelportal

Audio Conferencing using Cirrus?

msb2048

Hi there -

I'm interested in building a small website for my company's development team.  This is the scenario that I would like to achieve:

1.  Colleague enters website

2.  Colleague presses "Connect"

3.  Colleague is connected with any other colleagues that have pressed "Connect"

4.  Any colleagues Connected can chat using only a microphone I do not wish to support video feed

5.  Full duplex communication is supported between all colleagues

Is this something I can achieve using Cirrus?  If not, do you have any idea what technologies exist that could make this achievable? 

I have found the following website:

http://www.speakfreely.org/

This seems to do exactly what I want, but I need to create a web service out of this without forcing my colleagues to download something to their computer. 

Any tips would be appreciated.  Thank you for your time!

• 1. Re: Audio Conferencing using Cirrus?
          Chicohuman Level 1

You can do it, but the audio quality without headphones in Flash is still not the best, it's better with push-to-talk too.

• 2. Re: Audio Conferencing using Cirrus?
            reelportal Level 1

My ReelPortal app does just that, except it also have video (which you don't have to turn on).  Here's a short description:

ReelPortal is a video chat and conferencing software. Designed to work with multiple devices and OSes (Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, BlackBerry Tablet, etc), its features include:

* Video conference with multiple friends
            * Create your own private rooms
            * Supports both p2p and client/server connections

ReelPortal is room-centric. You automatically connect to everyone in a room when you enter it. No need to call them individually.

You can run it directly from the web browser on the PC/Mac/Linux, at www.reelportal.com.  You can even download the server, and run it within your own intranet.  But if you don't like it, you can certainly implement your own via Flash/AIR.

As for audio quality, using headset is probably the best, but if you really need speakerphone, I'd suggest get a decent Bluetooth Speakerphone, like the Motorola EQ7 or EQ5, at a very affordable price.