10 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2011 4:38 AM by i_dream_of_jeannie

Can a .prel file be imported to Premiere Elements 9

Miketra

I have several movies that have been created with past versions of Elements. I do not have the DVDs. Is there a way I can import and edit these .prel files?

• 1. Re: Can a .prel file be imported to Premiere Elements 9
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Many have luck Opening a PREL (the Project file) in later versions, but this is not always the case. It will just depend.

Now, the PREL file is only an XML database with links and instructions. It does not contain ANY media, which will be totally necessary to use the Project. This ARTICLE will give you a lot more background. Without those media files, there is nothing to do with the PREL.

Hope that this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can a .prel file be imported to Premiere Elements 9
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

From the sound of his post, Bill, he (or she) doesn't have the original project files. Only a DVD of the results.

Mike, you can try this:

1) Start a new Premiere Elements project. Make sure you select the settings for a Hard Drive Camcorder, 720x480.

2) Put the DVD in your computer's DVD drive.

3) In this new project, go to Get Media/From DVD and download the video into your project (and onto your hard drive).

This usually works -- although you'll need to wait for the program to conform the files before you start editing and you'll need to render the video whenever you see a red line above the clips on your timeline.

So you can probably work directly from the disc files. But you may want to convert all of those DVDs to DV-AVIs first. You'll have a much more efficient workflow -- but it will take a while and they will likely take up a LOT of hard drive space.

• 3. Re: Can a .prel file be imported to Premiere Elements 9
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

You could be correct, but this line bothered me:

I do not have the DVDs.

As the PREL does not contain any media, and the produced DVD's are missing, I fear that nothing can be done, if those original media files cannot be found also.

To the OP, good luck, and let us know exactly what you DO have.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Can a .prel file be imported to Premiere Elements 9
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You're right, Bill! I misread the post.

It's very hard to tell what the original poster does have and what he plans to do with it. It's hard to imagine he has all of the old project files and their source media archived -- but maybe he does!

In any event, like you, I recommend against trying to open an old version project with a newer version of the program.

• 5. Re: Can a .prel file be imported to Premiere Elements 9
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, though probably like closing the barn door, after the horse got loose, this is a good plug for the Project Archiver, and a couple of external HDD's.

Wishing the OP luck, and if you can tell us what you DO have, maybe someone will have some hints on how best to proceed.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Can a .prel file be imported to Premiere Elements 9
                    Miketra Level 1

Thank you for your response.

I guess I did not give a good description of my problem.

Yes I have three 1TB hard drives with most of my movies from the past few years. These drives contain the Adobe files along with the video and audio files that were edited to produce the Adobe projects and DVDs.

I must also say that I have registered versions of Adobe software going back to when.......the newest version of Premiere Elements, ver. 9, is installed on my computer at this time.

I had a request from a friend for a DVD of a basketball game from 2007. His grandson was one of the players in that game. Not having a copy of the DVD for that game I thought this is easy. I loaded the hard drive went the Adobe project file and tried to open it. This project was created with an older version of Adobe software. The reply was that code for that file was not available! Now I'm thinking Adobe would not do that to its customers. So I went online to look for an answer. I should have never done that. I get too frustrated because the answers now days is never to the question I asked. I understand the economics of this but I've been working with computers since DOS 1.1. Back in the days when Bill Gates answered the help line with "Hello this is Bill can I help you!" The key that is missing today is real customer service. Sorry I'm off the subject. I could not find any answer about the Premiere Elements being backward compatible. That is when I turned to the forum. Since I do have the video and audio files I can create a new project and create the DVD. I stand is that I should NOT have to re-do this project. I'm going to have to spend time redoing work done. The part that makes me mad is I have to do this because Adobe wants more money on its profit sheet at my expense. I know I don’t have to buy the product but I am a loyal customer or at least was a loyal customer. I've notice other software out there that does what I need. Sorry again I'm off subject!

I thank you for taking the time to reply and trying to help. If you know anything about an add-on or extra code I can use to save me time I would really appreciate it!

Thanks

Michael

• 7. Re: Can a .prel file be imported to Premiere Elements 9
                      Miketra Level 1

Bill,

I purchase internal drives for my projects. I use a USB BlacX external adaptor. This way I can change from drive to drive hot without a problem. Also internal drives are cheaper than external. They are also smaller so I can put them in a fire safe just in case.... I think I have about six drives at this time with almost 9 thousand photographs, over 150 movies projects, 15 years of banking, tax and receipts, family tree information and some 22,000 songs (None of which are illegal). Yes internal hard drives can save the day...

Again thanks for replying!

Mike

• 8. Re: Can a .prel file be imported to Premiere Elements 9
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Michael,

Was that error message, perhaps "CODEC," and not "code?"

If so, then the system probably had the proper CODEC installed, but doesn't now, or perhaps, you have changed/upgraded your computer?

If you can download and install the great, free utility, G-SPOT, and run some of those source files through it, someone here can point you to the exact CODEC that you need. Probably easiest to just post a screen-cap of G-Spot with one of those problem files Open in it.

Now, while many have great success Opening older Projects (PREL's) in later versions, it is not a "slam-dunk." Most will Open and edit fine, but there can be issues, and some "features" used in the early Projects, might no longer exist in the newer version. It can be a bit of a crap-shoot.

Good luck, and please let us know what CODEC is showing for those source files,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Can a .prel file be imported to Premiere Elements 9
                          Miketra Level 1

Yep, it was CODEC and not code....

I'll give your suggestion a try.

Thanks

Michael

• 10. Re: Can a .prel file be imported to Premiere Elements 9
                            i_dream_of_jeannie Level 1

You cannot import the .prel file into Adobe. the PREL files are the PRE project files, so you should do a File > Open project to open those prel files. Also I'd suggest that you copy the whole folder onto your hard drive and then open it. Do not open it directly from your DVD