8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2007 1:49 PM by

Target another frame in a framset from flash navigation

Target another frame in a frameset with for example getUrl (example.html, "rightFrame");
      has Adobe released some solution?

- Right now we migrate from Flash towards PowerPoint and CSS, because
      the lack of answers and interactivity in Flash because of Microsofts "security pathes" in IE 6 and 7

Right now I cant find a simple solution of how to target another
      frame from a frame in the same html-doc from a button in a flash navigation.

Am I right or wrong? It looks like everyone avoid this simple question?
      - Why?

And I still appreciate every possible answer that could solve my problem and a lot of problem to other
      interactive producer.

• 1. Re: Target another frame in a framset from flash navigation
          Marghoob Suleman Level 1
          I dont know... what are you talking about...
          • 2. Re: Target another frame in a framset from flash navigation
            Cant target another frame in the same frameset (2 frames - LeftFrame and RightFrame ) in the same html.doc

This is the code I have applied to the Flash button
            in a frame called navigation in LeftFrame:

on(release){
            getURL("right.htm", rightFrame);
            }
            For some reason I can't get the page to open in the target frame (RightFrame).
            It will only pop up in a new window. (_blank)

Microsoft has done a some security restriction since februari 2006.

The problem is that you cant use flash navigation in the same frameset no longer.

I´ve serched everywhere and it looks like there is no simple solution to this problem.

Adobe suggest that you Work around with Javascript.
            But what´s happend if the user disable JavaScript in the WebBrowser?

Isn´t that obvious - it´s a strategic issue for the Interactive webbindustry.
            It´s a crossroad - which way webdesigners/developers, markering managers
            e-commerce managers.., want to choose to work along with databases, content
            management system and so on.
            If Flash not can provide an easy way of targeting another frame in a webbrowser for
            its customers, the customers have to choose a another solution - CSS+php or even worse
            - PowerPoint.
            I already migrate to CSS, PHP and PowerPoint because of Adobes late response of Microsoft so called
            "..because of security reason".
            At least I hope Adobe is interested of producing a motion tutorial of how to solve the problems by
            Javascript or whatever complex and not user friendly solution
            they come up with.

Do you understand now?

If you can provide a simple code below - please tell me -
            I really appreciate that!!!!!

Code on flash button in LeftFrame:
            OnPress (I appreciate some bright solution here or som e link to how I solve the problem.)

• 3. Re: Target another frame in a framset from flash navigation
              No ansver...
              the silence speak for itself
              • 4. Target another frame in a framset from flash navigation
                Here is some ansver... and if you wish to now how I solve the problem?
                I JUST SKIP FLASH IN THE FUTURE in all my websites navigation

Here is some answer from a community expert:

Search - honest, this has been discussed to death for the past year in this forum and all over the
                web. We may soon have a FAQ section for each forum and this will certainly be at the top. Most of us
                don't actually bother to respond to this issue because there's even an entire page on adobe's site
                dedicated towards it and current versions of DW and Flash auto-generate JS scripts to counteract
                this IE issue that was the result of a EULA lawsuit over a year ago.

Search anywhere for "Active Content".

hope this helps.

Chris Georgenes / mudbubble.com / keyframer.com / Adobe Community Expert

• 5. Target another frame in a framset from flash navigation
                  >Cant target another frame in the same frameset
                  >(2 frames - LeftFrame and RightFrame ) in the same html.doc

To flash designers that have the same problem with get Url in a flash navigation:
                  http://www.adobe.com/devnet/activecontent/articles/devletter.html

But it still It doesn´t solve the problem to target another frame in a frameset with get Url
                  - I managed to solve the problem by CSS with get Url target "_self"

..but thats not a good solution for my customers when they update their websites.
                  I have to rebuild, let us say about 8 websites...puh

• 6. Target another frame in a framset from flash navigation
                    >on(release){
                    >getURL("right.htm", rightFrame);
                    >}
                    >
                    >For some reason I can't get the page to open in the target frame (RightFrame).
                    >It will only pop up in a new window. (_blank)

I´ve tested every method with js-scrip and none of them works

/dead beat
                    • 7. Re: Target another frame in a framset from flash navigation
                      peregrine454
                      on (release) {

getURL("page_name.htm", "NameofFrame");
                      }

Did not work?
                      RGR

Perhaps...
                      on (release)
                      {
                      this.getURL("page_name.htm", "NameofFrame");

}
                      1 person found this helpful