13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2011 8:15 AM by MadManChan2000

Question on converting edited CR2 files to DNG

jimgrout

Sorry, I cannot find a separate DNG forum. If this question is in the wrong place, please direct me to the correct forum.

I have lots of CR2 RAW files on my computer, and I am considering converting them to DNG. Many of these RAW files have already been edited and so have a separate XMP sidecar file containing the edits in the same folder. If I convert (using the Adobe DNG converter) these edited RAW files to DNG, what is converted? The CR2 RAW file alone, so that the converted DNG file is the same as the original unedited CR2 file? If so, what happens to the orphaned XMP file? Ignored?

My concern is that I will lose all RAW edits if I convert to DNG because the conversion process ignores the edits contained in the separate XMP file.

Can someone explain this to me? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Question on converting edited CR2 files to DNG
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Your CR2 image will be converted to DNG format, and the adjustments you have made that are contained in the .xmp sidecar file will be embedded into that DNG file. So you will end up with 1 file with .dng extension that preserves your existing adjustments.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Question on converting edited CR2 files to DNG
            Ian Lyons MVP & Adobe Community Professional

In addition to Eric's comments re conversion you will also find that the thumbnail preview, etc will reflect the actual edits, including any crops. This is especially useful when viewing them in Finder or Explorer.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Question on converting edited CR2 files to DNG
              jimgrout Level 1

Thanks for the response. Does this mean that a converted CR2 file (now a DNG that contains embedded edits) can be converted back to the original unedited RAW file (DNG) by using the Clear Settings command in ACR?

Jim G

• 4. Re: Question on converting edited CR2 files to DNG
                Noel Carboni Level 7

That's pretty cool.  Can you also clarify whether a demosaic operation is performed in this case?  Asked another way, will one still be able to select the process (e.g., 2003 vs. 2010 vs. some future process) during conversion of the resultant DNG?

-Noel

• 5. Re: Question on converting edited CR2 files to DNG
                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

Noel Carboni wrote:

Asked another way, will one still be able to select the process (e.g., 2003 vs. 2010 vs. some future process) during conversion of the resultant DNG

DNG Converter 6.3 (the current version) doesn't allow selecting Process Versions when converting proprietary raws to DNG. It uses whatever is in the .xmp file (if there is one) when converting and adding the preview.

The rule is, if an image has been "touched" by ACR/LR, the Process Version will be whatever is saved in the .xmp file when you convert. If an older version of ACR/LR touched the file then the Process Version will be 2003. Files that have NEVER been touched will default to Process Version 2010. I don't know what future behavior will be since, well, we currently only have 2 Process Versions.

• 6. Re: Question on converting edited CR2 files to DNG
                    Noel Carboni Level 7

So what you're saying is that the DNG conversion de-mosaics the image?  I guess that's not surprising, since for compatibility with older Photoshop versions you'd have to deliver a more or less standardized format.

Kind of throws a big monkey wrench into claims that converting to DNG is functionally equivalent to opening raw images directly though...  I was experimenting with a "fall leaves" image last night and no matter what I tried with the 2010 process I was still able to get more detail in bright red leaves with the 2003 process.

I suppose that says if you want maximum flexibility and control you'd better buy the Photoshop upgrades and stick to opening raw camera files directly.  A variant on the "if you want to play you have to pay" adage.

-Noel

P.S., Does the DNG converter read the centralized database as well as XMP files?  I personally prefer the database to the extra files.

• 7. Re: Question on converting edited CR2 files to DNG
                      Jeff Schewe Level 5

Noel Carboni wrote:

So what you're saying is that the DNG conversion de-mosaics the image?  I guess that's not surprising, since for compatibility with older Photoshop versions you'd have to deliver a more or less standardized format.

No, I said it's "capable" of doing a demosiacing if you burrow down through the various option and actively select that options. By default DNG Converter 6.3 will do a lossless compression and maintain the un-demosiaced image data. You have to try hard to get a Linear DNG (really, you need to read what I wrote and understand it, demosiacing is only an option–one you have to burrow down to even get). And no, even ACR 2.4 in PS CS2 can open a DNG (if it was set with the proper preferences).

Have you even looked at DNG Converter 6.3 to see what I'm talking about?

• 8. Re: Question on converting edited CR2 files to DNG
                        Jeff Schewe Level 5

Noel Carboni wrote:

I suppose that says if you want maximum flexibility and control you'd better buy the Photoshop upgrades and stick to opening raw camera files directly.  A variant on the "if you want to play you have to pay" adage.

Again, out of line with reality...you might want to actually KNOW about something before you try to write about it...

• 9. Re: Question on converting edited CR2 files to DNG
                          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Noel Carboni wrote:

P.S., Does the DNG converter read the centralized database as well as XMP files?  I personally prefer the database to the extra files.

DNG Converter uses whatever you've got set in the Camera Raw prefs...

• 10. Re: Question on converting edited CR2 files to DNG
                            Noel Carboni Level 7
                            function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Jeff Schewe wrote:

No, I said it's "capable" of doing a demosiacing if you burrow down through the various option and actively select that options.

Actually you didn't say squat about it, so I inferred something wrong from your answer.

-Noel

• 11. Re: Question on converting edited CR2 files to DNG
                              Jeff Schewe Level 5

Noel Carboni wrote:

Actually you didn't say squat about it, so I inferred something wrong from your answer.

Actually, I did in another thread (which you posted to), HERE.

Sorry I didn't make that clear in THIS thread...

• 12. Re: Question on converting edited CR2 files to DNG
                                Noel Carboni Level 7
                                function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Jeff Schewe wrote:

Actually, I did in another thread (which you posted to), HERE.

Sorry I didn't make that clear in THIS thread...

Apology accepted.  Given my question above it's pretty clear I missed that little detail in the other thread, and for that I'm sorry; I was focused more on Lawrence's posts than yours.

Try not to get so bent out of shape. 

-Noel

• 13. Re: Question on converting edited CR2 files to DNG
                                  MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

DNG supports both mosaic and non-mosaic formats. When converting from a mosaic to mosaic format (the default behavior, where possible), demosaic operations are not involved. But when converting from a mosaic to a non-mosaic format (e.g., 3-channel RGB), then as expected, the demosaic step does take place.