6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2011 11:07 AM by the_wine_snob

Best practice for importing non-"Premiere-ready" video files

DMC1970

Hello!

I work with internal clients that provide me with a variety of differnet video types (could be almost ANYTHYING, WMV, MP4, FLV).  I of course ask for AVIs when possible, but unfortunately, I have no control over the type of file I'm given.

And, naturally, Premiere (just upgraded to CS5) has a hard time dealing with these files.  Unpredictable, ranging from working fine to not working at all, and everything in between.  Naturally, it's become a huge issue for turnaround time.

Is there a best practice for preparing files for editing in Premiere?

I've tried almost everything I can think of:  converting the file(s) to .AVIs using a variety of programs/methods.  Most recently, I tried creating a Watch Folder in Adobe Media Encoder and setting it for AVI with the proper aspect ratio.  It makes sense to me that that should work:using an Adobe product to render the file into something Premiere can work with.

However, when I imported the resulting AVI into Premiere, it gave me the Red Line of Un-renderness (that is the technical term, right?), and had the same sync issue I experienced when I brought it in as a WMV.

Given our environment, I'm completely fine with adding render time to the front-end of projects, but it has to work.  I want files that Premiere likes.

THANK YOU in advance for any advice you can give!

-- Dave

• 1. Re: Best practice for importing non-"Premiere-ready" video files
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

Is this material all SD, or is it HD, or perhaps a combo of both?

What will you be required to deliver, SD, say to DVD-Video, or HD, perhaps to BD?

The reason that I am asking those questions is that the AME Watch Folder should work for most Assets, but I think that some aspect of the settings is wrong for your Sequences. This was going to be my rec., but you are already there.

OOS can still be an issue, especially when coming from MPEG's. Even a great conversion program might not be able to correct that. Correct the OOS might be very simple, or might take more work, depending on if the OOS is static, or dynamic, i.e. progressively more OOS over time. Either way, this ARTICLE might offer you the details for a workaround.

Good luck, and I feel your pain. Fortunately, I am only doing SD, so it's easy for me to just target DV-AVI Type II files, and cram everything into that format/CODEC.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Best practice for importing non-"Premiere-ready" video files
            DMC1970 Level 1

Bill,

THANKS for your reply.  We're working almost entirely in SD, actually. 

Can you elaborate on the settings?  Are you saying the AME preset should match the Sequence settings?  (I think they DO, I mean, it's DV 4:3, pretty straightforward)

I tried one WMV and it remained out of sync.....

• 3. Re: Best practice for importing non-"Premiere-ready" video files
              DMC1970 Level 1

Can you tell me how you cram those files to be Premiere-friendly?

• 4. Re: Best practice for importing non-"Premiere-ready" video files
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I use an older conversion program (my PrPro has a much older internal AME, unlike yours), DigitalMedia Converter 2.7. It is shareware, and has been replaced by Deskshare with newer versions, but my old one works fine. I have not tried the newer versions yet. One thing that I like about this converter is that it ONLY uses System CODEC's, and does not install its own, like a few others. This DOES mean that if I get footage with an oddball CODEC, I need to go get it, and install it on the System.

I can batch process AV files of most types/CODEC's, and convert to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio and at 29.97 FPS (I am in NTSC land). So far, 99% of the resultant converted files have been perfect, whether from DivX, WMV, MPEG-2, or almost any other format/CODEC. If there is any OOS, my experience has been that it will be static, so I just have to adjust the sync offset by a few frames, and that takes care of things.

In a few instances, the PAR flag has been missed (Standard 4:3 vs Widescreen 16:9), but Interpret Footage has solved those few issues.

Only oddity that I have observed (mostly with DivX, or WMV's) is that occasionally, PrPro cannot get the file's Duration correct. I found that if I Import those problem files into PrElements, and then just do an Export, to the same exact specs., that resulting file (seems to be 100% identical, but something has to be different - maybe in the header info?) Imports perfectly into PrPro. This happens rarely, and I have the workaround, though it is one more step for those. I have yet to figure out why one very similar file will convert with the Duration info perfect, and then a companion file will not. Nor have I figured out exactly what is different, after running through PrE. Every theory that I have developed has been shot down by my experiences. A mystery still.

AME works well for most, as a converter, though there are just CODEC's, that Adobe programs do not like, such as DivX and Xvid. I doubt that any Adobe program will handle those suckers easily, if at all.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Best practice for importing non-"Premiere-ready" video files
                  DMC1970 Level 1

Thanks a lot, Bill!  Really appreciate your time.

• 6. Re: Best practice for importing non-"Premiere-ready" video files
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome. Hope that helps you handle all those formats/CODEC's. They can present challenges, but you know that already.

Good luck,

Hunt