7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2011 11:04 AM by Harm Millaard

Question About the LSI/3Ware 9570-4i RAID Card

PaulieDC Level 2

I just bought the 9570-4i to run a couple of WD RE3's in RAID0, with intention to go RAID5 later when I have the bucks, maybe even with different drives. ANYWAY, I have an EVGA X58 mobo, and I only use the first of the three PCIe slots (16x) for my GTX470. So I assumed that the third slot (which is 8x) would be the slot the 9570 goes into, but I kept asking myself, since those PCIe slots are design with SLI/Crossfire in mind, is it kosher to pop in my RAID card in the 3rd slot? Would it work or interefere with the graphics card?

So I wrote LSI Tech Support and they responded right away with an informative but safe reply that some SLI X58 boards can be troublesome, that I should get a server/enterprise class board. Buying and swapping out another mobo is the last thing my time and money want to do. Has anybody successfully used a board like mine with a similar RAID card in the PCIe slot successfully?

Just for reference, my board specs are here: http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=132-bl-e758-a1

And the LSI Tech reply was this:

What I can tell you in specific about your type of motherboard is: some customers have had issues using our cards with boards marketed for “SLI” or “Crossfire” capability, because generally these PCIe slots are designed specifically for high performance video and do not always follow the PCIe spec. In short, your 9750 may not work as intended with this motherboard. We would recommend looking at a server/enterprise class board.
      Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Question About the LSI/3Ware 9570-4i RAID Card
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Paulie,

The answer of the LSI technician is IMO the easy and safe way out. You have to look at the technical specs of your EVGA board to see which PCI-e slot is best, but my guess is that the third slot, as it is an 8x slot, is the best to try first, unless there is some dependency between the first and third slot, in which case the second slot may be better, but that screws up your cooling of the video card.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Question About the LSI/3Ware 9570-4i RAID Card
            PaulieDC Level 2

That's what I was hoping to hear. Yes, the mobo is 16x/16x/8x empty, but I think if you use three cards the middle one drops to 8x. But that's no issue if I need jus 8x for the RAID card. This mobo was, in 2009, the flagship model (EVGA actually) so I would expect it to work, but I also realize that's not very realistic, there's always some little gotcha (N200 this, shared that, lol). OK, I'll brave it and rip open the static bag and see what happens. Thanks Harm.

• 3. Re: Question About the LSI/3Ware 9570-4i RAID Card
              PaulieDC Level 2

FYI, I posted this on the EVGA forum, and there was more than one response from people who run this mobo with a RAID card in Slot 3, even with two GPUs in SLI mode. So I guess it's kosher!

• 4. Re: Question About the LSI/3Ware 9570-4i RAID Card
                PaulieDC Level 2

Whoa ho HO! I didn't realize how FAST a RAID0 set can be! Got the LSI 3Ware 9750-4i running with the two WD 1TB RE3s and the thing just screams. The Windows popup progress bar showed 448mb/sec reading a huge video clip from the RAID to another WD Black. That is nuts. When I copy just a 1.3GB video clip on that set to the WD Black, the progress bar doesn't even show, it's just BAM and it's copied. Unconverted 5D Mark II footage runs totally smooth in Pr CS5 with that MPE and a GTX470. Dream come true!

The LSI card works just fine in the PCIe slot #3 on my EVGA X58 mobo. I downloaded and installed the drivers first, then installed the card and Win7 picked it right up. The LSI card did have an odd "3Ware card missing BIOS" message during the first boot, but once Windows was running it recognized it. I upgraded the firmware with the web-based GUI that LSI provides and now it boots up just fine.

Note for anyone wanting to run this card with just a couple of drives (up to 4): don't buy the 9750-4i listed as a "kit", buy the "single" version which is $60 cheaper. The "kit" version comes with a backplane cable which won't work for internal drives in a PC case (get that if you are using a backplane naturally). Get the "single" version which is just the card. It does NOT come with a cable, so you'll need to buy that also. This is the one you want: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816116097 .

RAID0 speed is nifty, now I wouldn't leave home without it. Yes, the contents of the RAID set are backed up, I do realize RAID0 is non-redundant.

• 5. Re: Question About the LSI/3Ware 9570-4i RAID Card
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Good to hear your success. Now you can understand why I'm a fan of raids.

• 6. Re: Question About the LSI/3Ware 9570-4i RAID Card
                    PaulieDC Level 2

Hey Harm, my simple RAID0 setup is blazing fast, I'm truly thrilled. If I did want redundancy and therefore got a third drive for a RAID5 setup, does RAID5 have the same read speed as RAID0, or to match RAID0 will I need a more complex arrangement, like RAID10, 50, 12 billion, whatever?

• 7. Re: Question About the LSI/3Ware 9570-4i RAID Card
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Paulie,

In the Adobe Forums: To RAID or not to RAID, that is the... article I gave rough indications of the speed you can expect from various raid arrays. A 3 disk raid5 array will be slightly slower than a 2 disk raid0, because of the parity overhead. Say 190% 2 x R0 versus 170% 3 x R5 over a single disk.